Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy for Power Trunk/Frunk Liftgate!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Too many options now :eek: Its getting very confusing. Tesla offer is the only place offering firmware updates for their units, right? Is that not worth the extra couple of hundred? Don't get me wrong, I like cheap but rather pay a little more and get something I don't have to fiddle with in the future.

667279B3-0F6C-4D55-A4C0-042F9A10074C.png
Here is the email from the factory

Too many options now :eek: Its getting very confusing. Tesla offer is the only place offering firmware updates for their units, right? Is that not worth the extra couple of hundred? Don't get me wrong, I like cheap but rather pay a little more and get something I don't have to fiddle with in the future.

The TRUNK model being discussed in this group buy does not require any firmware updates because it does not tap into the CANbus wiring. The downside of this compared to TeslaOffer's kit is that the car is not aware when the trunk is open (meaning you will not see it on the app or screen) and the car will let you drive with the trunk open. The upside is a much easier installation (and removal if you wish), and that the trunk can be both opened AND closed from the screen.

Neither this nor TeslaOffer's FRUNK kit requires updates, and neither of them can CLOSE the frunk from the screen.

Up to you to decide which tradeoffs are more important.

The TRUNK model being discussed in this group buy does not require any firmware updates because it does not tap into the CANbus wiring. The downside of this compared to TeslaOffer's kit is that the car is not aware when the trunk is open (meaning you will not see it on the app or screen) and the car will let you drive with the trunk open. The upside is a much easier installation (and removal if you wish), and that the trunk can be both opened AND closed from the screen.

Neither this nor TeslaOffer's FRUNK kit requires updates, and neither of them can CLOSE the frunk from the screen.

Thank you for explaining that to me. Now I get it.

Reactions: woodisgood
I watched the installation on the company website. It doesn't show the part on the foot senor installation. Or maybe I missed it.

If I get the foot senor for the trunk, do I need to take off the bumper like what they do at TeslaOffer?

Probably, but I'm not 100% sure. I plan on getting the foot sensor and installing it at a later point if bumper removal seems daunting.

Another apparent ‘disadvantage’ of the TeslaOffer kit and advantage to this one (if you can call it that) is the TeslaOffer kit operation can be ‘broken’ if you will (and has already) by code change with new FW updates by Tesla. However apparently the TeslaOffer guy ‘fixes’ or will fix it by sending a download code update and you install via memory card if that happens. Has already happened and a fix ‘patch’ was apparently sent to fix the broken code.
This kit is not affected by Tesla future FW update/code changes through the CANbus because you don’t tap it. So it’s safety proof in that regard.

Ski

So just got an email back from the company the first product is for the trunk and second product for the frunk so the frunk cost more than the truck. I also placed the order total cost $342.03 with shipping
Weird, because those two pages are identical, except for the cheaper one says "#SUPERSEPTEMBER" so maybe that's the end of month sale price? They're both for the trunk as far as I can tell.

Weird, because those two pages are identical, except for the cheaper one says "#SUPERSEPTEMBER" so maybe that's the end of month sale price? They're both for the trunk as far as I can tell.

I have no idea, either. From the image above, it looks like the cheaper one is the frunk, not the trunk. However, if they are running a promotion like that, apparently, I can have a pretty good reason to ask for a much deeper discount for orders having the trunk + frunk combo.