Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy for Power Trunk/Frunk Liftgate!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm tempted by the power frunk option since I loathe opening and closing the frunk and this would actually make it useful.

Hesitation is around quality of these parts. How much do we know about the manufacturer? Do they do OEM work for any major auto makers?

I don't want to go through the process of installing this and then deal with maintenance headaches.

I as well am a bit lost. Lots of cross conversation which is good to have to help sift informational options.

So is there basicly 2 types or manufacturers to choose from?
There appears to be only the one OEM, Hansshow. They make these auto-lifts for over 300 models, and there are over 90 people selling the Tesla Model 3 trunk/frunk kits. Presumably most of those may be in China, selling to the growing Chinese market, where Alibaba is the Amazon of shopping.

Cool product.
I have a few questions that maybe someone knows about this product.

1. Does the Frunk version have a manual close button like the trunk ?

2. Can the trunk and frunk be opened and closed manually as well. ?

Thanks

1. Yes, the Youtube video from i1Tesla (at 3:53), the video on their website, and the kits do show that there is a physical button that you can click it to close the trunk.

2. Yes, there is a safety switch to manually disconnect all the power, and we will close the trunk/frunk by hand easily. The Youtube video from i1Tesla shows this at 8:41.

Any videos of the Frunk install or operation? Do they offer a kick sensor for the front? I would LOVE to be able to get into it w/o having to climb in the car or break out the phone
Send the question to the sales link, William. They have a foot sensor, $50, but whether it works for both front and back I don't know. There doesn't seem to be a reason why it can't work for either, it's the same concept.

Send the question to the sales link, William. They have a foot sensor, $50, but whether it works for both front and back I don't know. There doesn't seem to be a reason why it can't work for either, it's the same concept.

Agree. I think the foot sensor is so much more useful for the frunk than the trunk because there is no physical button or mechanical switch to open the frunk. However, frunk is a huge safety feature (imaging if the frunk is accidentally opened, even at low speed). Even the company avoid to change the signal status on the screen of the car for the frunk due to safety regulations, so I doubt they would do it, even though it is definitely possible to do so.

Here is the response how the foot sensor works:

"Dear Quan,

The foot sensor would not open by trash bag or something. Its working principle is to use ultrasonic to detect the foot kick action. Only in special foot kick action, the foot sensor can work.

The millimetre wave radar detects that the object is close to the foot sensor, then the foot stays for 0.2S, and the foot leaves. Only in this situation, the foot sensor can work."

So, that explains why we see a delay with the foot sensor in the video on their website. I was like "this foot sensor is too slow to respond," and there is a reason behind it. So, it reduces a lot of chances in accidentally opening the trunk when the car is in motion. Even if we're driving at 2-3 mph, we will leave the object by the time the foot sensor has enough time to activate the opening mechanic. That's how I understand their response.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I already sent out the instruction email to everyone. Please make sure that you received my message. If you do not receive the message, please double check the email you provided to me and PM me immediately for an updated email. Again, thank everyone so much for making this happen. :)

Reactions: Taid_87
Have you investigated to see what you are losing with this unit?

are you ok with it?
It's been explained
The TRUNK model being discussed in this group buy does not require any firmware updates because it does not tap into the CANbus wiring. The downside of this compared to TeslaOffer's kit is that the car is not aware when the trunk is open (meaning you will not see it on the app or screen) and the car will let you drive with the trunk open. The upside is a much easier installation (and removal if you wish), and that the trunk can be both opened AND closed from the screen.

Neither this nor TeslaOffer's FRUNK kit requires updates, and neither of them can CLOSE the frunk from the screen.

Up to you to decide which tradeoffs are more important.

Another apparent ‘disadvantage’ of the TeslaOffer kit and advantage to this one (if you can call it that) is the TeslaOffer kit operation can be ‘broken’ if you will (and has already) by code change with new FW updates by Tesla. However apparently the TeslaOffer guy ‘fixes’ or will fix it by sending a download code update and you install via memory card if that happens. Has already happened and a fix ‘patch’ was apparently sent to fix the broken code.
This kit is not affected by Tesla future FW update/code changes through the CANbus because you don’t tap it. So it’s safety proof in that regard.

Ski

Hi everyone,

The group purchase is going live right now until 11:59 PM tonight (09/21/2019, PDT, GMT-7:00). If anyone is new, or if anyone does not receive my email, please email me immediately mrquanhoangnguyen@gmail. I will forward to email instruction to you, so you can have enough time to purchase. Thank you so much.