Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy for Power Trunk/Frunk Liftgate!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would like more information on this revised version of the frunk lift.

Does the frunk self-close if you start manually closing it?

Does the frunk always show open on the in-car display when this product is installed?

What's cool about this product is that you can use the original button inside the frunk to open/close the frunk (it was designed by Tesla to open the frunk only). So, you will never have to touch the hood to close the frunk manually ever again. Apparently, you can also use the app and key fob to open/close, but a physical button makes more sense to me. Check out the lady at 00:13 to see how she clicked the button to close the frunk.

Video:

They don't change the signal of the frunk due to safety regulation, so you CANNOT close the frunk through the main screen of the car (you have to use app, key fob, or the physical button to close instead). Therefore, the status of the frunk will be show open/close as originally. They only change the signal of the trunk, so you can close it through the main screen (and it always shows "closed" status). Also, the "beep" sound can be gone if you ask the installer not to connect to the speaker port of the control box, but it's there for us to know if the trunk/frunk is already closed or not.

Everyone who contacted me and bought from this or future group buys will receive the upgraded version. They said the upgraded version make the motor smoother and quieter. Through the video above, it's pretty smooth and quiet to me. I don't know how much better they want to achieve, but I will probably make a video to compare.

Lastly, it also makes more sense to have a sensor (like the trunk) to open the frunk when the car is in PARK, so you don't have to use the phone/fob/screen. However, the frunk is much trickier to tinker with because it creates another safety concern if thing goes wrong. Therefore, I don't know if they would ever agree to make the opening sensor for rhe frunk. Nevertheless, the company does not think there are a lot of people wanted this feature. If I have more than 20 people requested, they could change their mind. They took note of my suggestion anyway.

Last edited:
What's cool about this product is that you can use the original button inside the frunk to open/close the frunk (it was designed by Tesla to open the frunk only). So, you will never have to touch the hood to close the frunk manually ever again. Apparently, you can also use the app and key fob to open/close, but a physical button makes more sense to me. Check out the lady at 00:13 to see how she clicked the button to close the frunk.

Video:

They don't change the signal of the frunk due to safety regulation, so you CANNOT close the frunk through the main screen of the car (you have to use app, key fob, or the physical button to close instead). Therefore, the status of the frunk will be show open/close as originally. They only change the signal of the trunk, so you can close it through the main screen (and it always shows "closed" status). Also, the "beep" sound can be gone if you ask the installer not to connect to the speaker port of the control box, but it's there for us to know if the trunk/frunk is already closed or not.

Everyone who contacted me and bought from this or future group buys will receive the upgraded version. They said the upgraded version make the motor smoother and quieter. Through the video above, it's pretty smooth and quiet to me. I don't know how much better they want to achieve, but I will probably make a video to compare.

Lastly, it also makes more sense to have a sensor (like the trunk) to open the frunk when the car is in PARK, so you don't have to use the phone/fob/screen. However, the frunk is much trickier to tinker with because it creates another safety concern if thing goes wrong. Therefore, I don't know if they would ever agree to make the opening sensor for rhe frunk. Nevertheless, the company does not think there are a lot of people wanted this feature. If I have more than 20 people requested, they could change their mind. They took note of my suggestion anyway.

Thanks for the information, I use the frunk so infrequently that I wasn't even aware there was a button inside the frunk for the purpose of releasing it that could be repurposed to an open/close.

I abhor the frunk currently and so the utility of it is being wasted in my vehicle. An automated open/close would make it to where I would actually utilize this in the car and as an added bonus I'd no longer hear my laptop bag bouncing around inside the trunk when driving.

When you say "sensor (like the trunk)" do you mean a foot sensor to open the frunk while parked? Not quite sure I follow what you're thinking here.

Video:

Yes, that's why I didn't go thru with the frunk purchase, there was no frunk + foot sensor option. There's no physical release button to open the frunk. The trunk has a release button under the handle. So, to me, the frunk would be far more useful if there was a footkick sensor. So, add me to that list of people wanting a footkick sensor for the frunk.

Reactions: israndy
Thanks for the information, I use the frunk so infrequently that I wasn't even aware there was a button inside the frunk for the purpose of releasing it that could be repurposed to an open/close.

I abhor the frunk currently and so the utility of it is being wasted in my vehicle. An automated open/close would make it to where I would actually utilize this in the car and as an added bonus I'd no longer hear my laptop bag bouncing around inside the trunk when driving.

Agree, exactly why I simultaneously held off on the frunk and had regrets while doing so, lol.

EDIT: A reliable foot sensor for the frunk that didn’t create additional safety concerns would also have me more interested in the frunk kit.

The instructions have anyone else concerned? You have to glue stuff for the frunk? What happens if the steel cable gets moisture or water on it water? will it bind up? As much as I was wanting this kit it sure looks like you will end up with a mess of wires all over the place (hidden or not).

The directions from the standpoint of installing this are also a bit of a turn off, but certainly something I could tackle, it's more the concerns of cutting into things, doubling of fuses (insurances?), and the durability of parts that has me concerned. I also still have no idea what you have to glue in the frunk.

Agree, exactly why I simultaneously held off on the frunk and had regrets while doing so, lol.

EDIT: A reliable foot sensor for the frunk that didn’t create additional safety concerns would also have me more interested in the frunk kit.

The risk with a foot sensor is positioning. It doesn't seem like there's a great location behind the bumper that wouldn't have it too low and far back, you'd potentially end up kicking the front bumper or license plate a lot based on how low it is.

The instructions have anyone else concerned? You have to glue stuff for the frunk? What happens if the steel cable gets moisture or water on it water? will it bind up? As much as I was wanting this kit it sure looks like you will end up with a mess of wires all over the place (hidden or not).

The directions from the standpoint of installing this are also a bit of a turn off, but certainly something I could tackle, it's more the concerns of cutting into things, doubling of fuses (insurances?), and the durability of parts that has me concerned. I also still have no idea what you have to glue in the frunk.

There will be lose wiring in the frunk area since the vehicle was not designed with any tie down locations for wiring harnesses which will need to plug in the control unit. For sure you will have a wiring mess unless you spend some time tidying it up.

You could drill locations to use push in wire zip ties to secure the wires but I can see why it might be preferable for the typical user to just loom the wires together and then at a few strategic locations hold them in place with hot glue or something similar.

There will be lose wiring in the frunk area since the vehicle was not designed with any tie down locations for wiring harnesses which will need to plug in the control unit. For sure you will have a wiring mess unless you spend some time tidying it up.

You could drill locations to use push in wire zip ties to secure the wires but I can see why it might be preferable for the typical user to just loom the wires together and then at a few strategic locations hold them in place with hot glue or something similar.
yes, wire management is key, but sometimes this requires extending harnesses etc. Have you taken a look at the directions?

yes, wire management is key, but sometimes this requires extending harnesses etc. Have you taken a look at the directions?

I have not read the directions but I have watched a video of the installation and observed the mess of spaghetti wiring that was left when it was done with the video blogger dismissing that you'd have to "pretty it up" after you were done with making it operational.

Shame you cannot use the kick sensor on the front of the car.

I do wonder what it would take to open the frunk w/o touching the screen, the app, or the fob. Seems that Sentry Mode could be programmed to see you wave your hand in front of the windshield and sense that your phone is on you and pop the frunk.

Reactions: jsrawa and KenC
I have not read the directions but I have watched a video of the installation and observed the mess of spaghetti wiring that was left when it was done with the video blogger dismissing that you'd have to "pretty it up" after you were done with making it operational.
Yeah I'm not an expert on automotive modding, I'm sure there is an "appropriate" product to use, maybe a flexible auto graded silicone or sealant.
I don't even know what I'm supposed to glue since the directions look like someone edited them in MS paint, and the English is pretty broken.

Just something about gluing a cable or something. Both need some minor cutting of seals or foam too, so if you remove the kit you may need to re-seal those holes?

I don't even know what I'm supposed to glue since the directions look like someone edited them in MS paint, and the English is pretty broken.

Just something about gluing a cable or something. Both need some minor cutting of seals or foam too, so if you remove the kit you may need to re-seal those holes?

I will have to find the link to the install directions as the video I watched involved no cutting for the frunk.

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for giving more feedback on the DIY instructions. I was also a little bit confused with the PDF files that I sent when I read to step #15 or so. However, the company has post-sale offices in San Francisco and Los Angeles, and they have a professional installer person that you can call and ask for any question. I'm not sure if I can post the office info publicly or not. Therefore, please PM me to get the office address (also the installer shop) and phone number of the person in charge for installation if you run into any difficulty during your DIY process.

Also, I found that watch the instruction video clips (like voip-ninja did) are much easier to understand than just reading the PDF files. My installer shop read and watch both of them and said that they would be able to do it for me. The video clips are already on the company website, but I also post them here again for everyone to easily be on the same page.

Main website: Tesla model 3 automatic frunk and trunk

• Informative
Reactions: KenC