Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy for Power Trunk/Frunk Liftgate!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've been on the fence about getting this (originally just the trunk with foot sensor one, but now that they have the frunk available, maybe that one too). Price is still about $100 each higher than what I'd like, even with this group buy. Even though I could probably tackle the install myself, if I had an East Coast/New England installer that was as OCD as I am (DON'T even think about slicing my rubber wiring tube near the trunk hinge...use a fish line), I'd likely pay to have it installed.

I know the group buy for this Hansshow one makes it even cheaper than the Teslaoffer one, but here are my concerns about each. Still trying to decide which one I'd go for:

Hansshow Positive Features:
-- No need to tie into CAN, so no worries about having to update the firmware if you get a Tesla update.
-- Can open/close from the interior screen.
-- I believe you don't have to run wire to the battery up front, which would require cutting thru the rubber grommet at the firewall near the glovebox. I believe I heard you can tie into somewhere in the rear.
-- Less expensive than Teslaoffer's.

Hansshow Negative Features:
-- Native app and car screen does not show trunk open.
-- Foot sensor may get triggered and open the trunk during low speed driving (I'm thinking if you go over a speed bump slowly, and the bump passes under the foot sensor.

Teslaoffer Positive Features:
-- Tapping into CAN maintains all the safety gates that Tesla puts in place.
-- Foot sensor won't get tripped by the ground when moving.
-- App and screen correctly shows open trunk

Teslaoffer Negative Features:
-- When receiving an update from Tesla, it may render trunk inoperable until you flash the Teslaoffer computer module
-- Can't close trunk from the interior car screen
-- More expensive than Hansshow's.

So each has their + and -. For me, personally, I don't mind tapping into the CAN, so as to maintain a "safer" install that correctly shows the trunk status. I don't care that I can't close the trunk from inside the car, as I would likely be outside loading up the trunk anyway and would just as easily press the newly installed trunk close button. In fact, I probably wouldn't even install that extra interior close button Teslaoffer provides. But I'm not too crazy about having to install an update on an SD card every so often. I know Teslaoffer is quick to provide these updates, but still, it's an extra occasional maintenance item.

Any thoughts/suggestions on which way to sway on these two?

I think I'm still going to sit on the sidelines for a little bit longer. It seems they're both making some minor improvements over the past few months. Perhaps they may offer something come Black Friday or for the holidays as an enticement for our significant others to get us for Christmas perhaps.

-- Cintoman

So I've been on the fence about getting this (originally just the trunk with foot sensor one, but now that they have the frunk available, maybe that one too). Price is still about $100 each higher than what I'd like, even with this group buy. Even though I could probably tackle the install myself, if I had an East Coast/New England installer that was as OCD as I am (DON'T even think about slicing my rubber wiring tube near the trunk hinge...use a fish line), I'd likely pay to have it installed.

I know the group buy for this Hansshow one makes it even cheaper than the Teslaoffer one, but here are my concerns about each. Still trying to decide which one I'd go for:

Hansshow Positive Features:
-- No need to tie into CAN, so no worries about having to update the firmware if you get a Tesla update.
-- Can open/close from the interior screen.
-- I believe you don't have to run wire to the battery up front, which would require cutting thru the rubber grommet at the firewall near the glovebox. I believe I heard you can tie into somewhere in the rear.
-- Less expensive than Teslaoffer's.

Hansshow Negative Features:
-- Native app and car screen does not show trunk open.
-- Foot sensor may get triggered and open the trunk during low speed driving (I'm thinking if you go over a speed bump slowly, and the bump passes under the foot sensor.

Teslaoffer Positive Features:
-- Tapping into CAN maintains all the safety gates that Tesla puts in place.
-- Foot sensor won't get tripped by the ground when moving.
-- App and screen correctly shows open trunk

Teslaoffer Negative Features:
-- When receiving an update from Tesla, it may render trunk inoperable until you flash the Teslaoffer computer module
-- Can't close trunk from the interior car screen
-- More expensive than Hansshow's.

So each has their + and -. For me, personally, I don't mind tapping into the CAN, so as to maintain a "safer" install that correctly shows the trunk status. I don't care that I can't close the trunk from inside the car, as I would likely be outside loading up the trunk anyway and would just as easily press the newly installed trunk close button. In fact, I probably wouldn't even install that extra interior close button Teslaoffer provides. But I'm not too crazy about having to install an update on an SD card every so often. I know Teslaoffer is quick to provide these updates, but still, it's an extra occasional maintenance item.

Any thoughts/suggestions on which way to sway on these two?

I think I'm still going to sit on the sidelines for a little bit longer. It seems they're both making some minor improvements over the past few months. Perhaps they may offer something come Black Friday or for the holidays as an enticement for our significant others to get us for Christmas perhaps.

-- Cintoman

Very detailed and thorough thoughts about the concerns. I may not be able to answer your questions 100%, but I can answer most of them.

1. Please read my post #93 to understand the safety feature of the foot sensor.

2. It looks like your concerns are all about the foot sensor, then just don't buy the foot sensor. I did ask the company to create a package for trunk/frunk or both without the foot sensor.

3. From i1Tesla video at post #1, the trunk only opens when the car is in park. It follows to Tesla safety and will not open at all when the car is in motion, even at 1 mph (Brian did show that in his video).

4. As my post #93, the foot sensor uses ultrasonic to detect the foot by a specific period of delayed time (0.2-0.5s), totally different with motion detect as the home security we usually see. For this case, I will definitely make a video to test it out when I install the foot sensor in my car.

5. The only negative point I do agree is the status of the trunk due to not tapping the cable to the CANbus wire. That's why they created the sound alert to make sure we close the trunk after walking away.

Otherwise, just don't buy foot sensor to remove all your concerns. :)

Very detailed and thorough thoughts about the concerns. I may not be able to answer your questions 100%, but I can answer most of them.

1. Please read my post #93 to understand the safety feature of the foot sensor.

2. It looks like your concerns are all about the foot sensor, then just don't buy the foot sensor. I did ask the company to create a package for trunk/frunk or both without the foot sensor.

3. From i1Tesla video at post #1, the trunk only opens when the car is in park. It follows to Tesla safety and will not open at all when the car is in motion, even at 1 mph (Brian did show that in his video).

4. As my post #93, the foot sensor uses ultrasonic to detect the foot by a specific period of delayed time (0.2-0.5s), totally different with motion detect as the home security we usually see. For this case, I will definitely make a video to test it out when I install the foot sensor in my car.

5. The only negative point I do agree is the status of the trunk due to not tapping the cable to the CANbus wire. That's why they created the sound alert to make sure we close the trunk after walking away.

Otherwise, just don't buy foot sensor to remove all your concerns. :)
Great posts guys as I'm back on the fence after watching the videos, and the summary post. I use the trunk way more than the frunk, however I hate closing the frunk and don't really have any issues with the manual trunk. I already put auto open frunk struts since that was super easy, but the issue is I don't like pressing on it to close it. I'm highly considering just ordering the frunk, and waiting to see how the trunk plays out.

Last edited:
Great posts guys as I'm back on the fence after watching the videos, and the summary post. I use the trunk way more than the frunk, however I hate closing the frunk and don't really have any issues with the manual trunk. I already put auto open frunk struts since that was super easy, but the issue is I don't like pressing on it to close it. I'm highly considering just ordering the frunk, and waiting to see how the trunk plays out.

I'm right there with you. I have used my frunk maybe 1/2 dozen times since getting the car a year ago because I abhor closing it. Not just having to be so careful with positioning my hands to do it but also the fact that it leaves hand prints on the hood, etc.

I am strongly considering getting the frunk kit since the install looks pretty straight forward with the biggest challenge being cable organization after install is done.

If I had a power frunk I would probably use it every day I drive.

For people participated in the group buy, has anyone received a shipping confirmation or tracking information yet?

For anyone else waiting for shipping confirmations like me.
Just had a chat with Hansshow support and confirmed that they're getting the orders ready, but due to the overwhelming number of orders they received this month, there will be some delays but email confirmations will be sent once the orders are shipped (I'm assuming with tracking numbers, but I forgot to ask).

where does it show the under seat 12:volt tap ?

Here is where the location of that 12V source. I installed my dashcam through that source as well, but I have never receied the errors this guy got. Perhaps his speakers drew too much current and created fluctuations from the source that cause the errors for the 12V battery monitoring system. This power liftgate consumes much less power than my dashcam (Blackvue DR900S-2C), so I don't think it will have any issues going this route.

Tesla Model 3 Stereo - Part 5: Electronics

This frunk can still be opened if you have a dead battery right? But you have to pop out that piece of [the] bumper?
How does this work?

I saw the video of the guy pulling on the cable showing that the Frunk can't be opened by someone w/o the key, but I didn't really get it. If you need to open ANYONE'S Frunk you just get a 9v battery and touch the two terminals under the pop-out piece on a stock car and the latch will pop. What's the cable pull for? Does it release the struts so the hood can be moved?

Will First Responders understand how to open this Frunk? Really prefer them cutting the cord under the hood to cutting thru the rear quarter panel to cut the power in an emergency.

How does this work?

I saw the video of the guy pulling on the cable showing that the Frunk can't be opened by someone w/o the key, but I didn't really get it. If you need to open ANYONE'S Frunk you just get a 9v battery and touch the two terminals under the pop-out piece on a stock car and the latch will pop. What's the cable pull for? Does it release the struts so the hood can be moved?

Will First Responders understand how to open this Frunk? Really prefer them cutting the cord under the hood to cutting thru the rear quarter panel to cut the power in an emergency.
I'm not sure, but my guess is the 9v will release the first latch and the pull cord will release the second one. I think even stock, people can open your frunk though.