Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy for Power Trunk/Frunk Liftgate!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sent them two emails.
They reply today with a tracking number label generated 10/10 which is still not in Dhl system And they said it would take Ten More Days

was not the first order but was no where near the last So maybe by Halloween?

cannot wait to third party review it

Last edited:
Glad to hear that some people have already received their items. In my case the only thing I ever received is a receipt from PayPal. I just emailed the [email protected] email address to see if I get a response and what may be going on. I'm curious if there is anybody else now that has received nothing except a receipt. Also just to verify is the email address I used above the one that everybody else has used to contact them. Thanks in advance--

Edit: Just as info I ordered mine on 9/22 and that looks like the same time as most everyone else.

Glad to hear that some people have already received their items. In my case the only thing I ever received is a receipt from PayPal. I just emailed the [email protected] email address to see if I get a response and what may be going on. I'm curious if there is anybody else now that has received nothing except a receipt. Also just to verify is the email address I used above the one that everybody else has used to contact them. Thanks in advance--

Edit: Just as info I ordered mine on 9/22 and that looks like the same time as most everyone else.

Same, though OP helped me get a tracking number from the list he received. Ordered 9/21. Looks like it’s not moving just yet, DHL from Singapore.

SF Bay Area M3 owners. I was given an installer contact along with the quotes.

Frunk installation: 269
Trunk installation: 299
Frunk & Trunk installation: 499
Foot Sensor: 50

PM me if you need his contact info.

Wow...I need to increase my rates.

I'm just here to help people though. The kits must be arriving as I'm getting lots of calls to "help" people install theirs.

Both kits are much more labor intensive than technical to install.

Has anyone successfully installed the trunk kit by themselves by watching YouTube videos? I’m thinking of tackling this project myself, but only if there’s enough resources out there to get through the entire installation process.

Also, did I see a mention of a possibility of connecting to a power source in the rear to prevent drilling through the firewall?

Has anyone successfully installed the trunk kit by themselves by watching YouTube videos? I’m thinking of tackling this project myself, but only if there’s enough resources out there to get through the entire installation process.

Also, did I see a mention of a possibility of connecting to a power source in the rear to prevent drilling through the firewall?

I'm in the process of installing mine right now myself. The documentation is pretty bad. I've got almost everything working except there is one more cable that seems to connect to the CAN bus so that you can close from app/inside the car, but no instruction on where this cable connects to. Anyone know?

Wow...I need to increase my rates.

I'm just here to help people though. The kits must be arriving as I'm getting lots of calls to "help" people install theirs.

Both kits are much more labor intensive than technical to install.

That's why making $110K in the Bay Area is considered as low income according to research. Everything is damn expensive here.

• Funny
Reactions: Garlan Garner
I'm in the process of installing mine right now myself. The documentation is pretty bad. I've got almost everything working except there is one more cable that seems to connect to the CAN bus so that you can close from app/inside the car, but no instruction on where this cable connects to. Anyone know?

I had NO instructions at all when I received mine. There was a youtube video that I have used over and over to install a few of them. Now I don't need a video at all.

I didn't get my hardware from the same place you guys did, so I'm not sure why there is only 1 CAN bus wire.

There is a CAN lo and a CAN hi to the left of the drivers side footwell.

Ok - I'm done installing mine successfully. I followed a combination of the instructions that were provided by the manufacturer (which are terrible):

Tesla Model 3 electric tailgate installation instructions | Intelligentized Auto Parts | Hansshow

And this YouTube video:

I wasn't anticipating having to remove the bumper to do this installation, so it was more work than I originally thought. Going through the firewall was really not a big deal at all because you're just going through a rubber grommet that's already there. I didn't use the 1/2" bit like suggested in the video. I used a much smaller bit and then shoved the power connection through so it makes a nice tight seal. Really, running the power was actually the easiest part even though I thought it would be the hardest. Also note you need to remove the plastic piece under the passenger side dash to get to that grommet where you need to drill through. I already knew how to do that from having to replace the air filters. If you need help with that step, just find one of the videos on replacing the air filters and it will show you how to pop that piece off.

Also, my kit cable with an extra button and an extra cable which apparently I don't need unless I want to use the second button. It doesn't look like you need to connect the CAN-H or CAN-L connectors and I never figured out what the Yellow wire is for. Here is the cable that I ended up not using:

icm_fullxfull.220916556_q1inpldwvuo44ssk4cw8.jpg

In order to get the car to think the trunk is always closed so that I can close the trunk from inside the car or from the app (by clicking OPEN when it's already open) I had to make one modification. There is a blue wire on the harness that goes to the existing trunk latch that needs to be removed from the harness. This is not documented anywhere. I'm not sure if maybe some kits come with this wire already removed?

icm_fullxfull.225170689_cr1rxsb0zm04wccckgwo.jpg

Once that wire was removed, I could control open and close from inside the car.

Also worth mentioning is that with the default settings, it wouldn't close at all. You need to increase the closing power setting to 5 to get it to close properly. In order to do this, you need to use a screwdriver and put it in the latch so that the box thinks the trunk is closed, then hold the little black button on the controller until it beeps 5 times I think. I had to increase the speed setting as well by holding down the trunk close button. These steps are outlined in the written documentation link at the top of this post, but the english is not great, so it might be confusing.

Overall I'm very happy with the final results, even if it did take the better part of a day to get it done.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC