Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy for Power Trunk/Frunk Liftgate!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my kit on Wednesday. I will install on Sunday. There is a 12V power source right underneath the rear seat on the passenger side so there is no need to run the power wire to the front of the car.

Instruction here -> There are 2 latches under the fronts of the cushions, one each side, about in the middle of each seat, move the latch from left to right (facing the rear) and the cushion locks will release. Then just pull it up and out, watch for seatbelt locks and heated seat harness, one left and one right, but there's enough room to unhook both.
Take the cushion out, on the passenger rear side, there's a foam block to support the cushion, just pick it up, not secured, underneath you'll see a battery dataport, and a red rubber boot.
The red rubber boot contains the 5/16"x18 bolt with a wire attached.

Another option is to run thru the right front fender and connect directly to the battery without punching through the firewall.

I wouldn't call it "punching through the firewall".

Its a rubber grommet that is super simple to run a wire through.

Is the connection under the seat "always on" like the battery is?

Will be attempting the install soon and I'm gathering the tools needed. I have: auto trim removal tool, fish tape, electrical tape, T45 Torx, 8mm and 10mm socket, drill/impact driver. Am I missing anything else?

Also, if I wanted to install the foot sensor at a later time, should I fish the green wire through the conduit now along with all the others? Or is there a different place to connect this cable to?

I peeled back the tape quite a bit - about an inch and a half up it is cut!
Just got mine delivered. Upon inspection I found a cut white wire from harness (looks like it plugs into the module)

Can somebody tell me if that is supposed to be cut?!?

Tia
View attachment 467236

So how many of the wires are cut? Just the white one? In a previous picture it looks like a bunch of them are cut.

What ways are you guys reconnecting it?

I do want it but I also want trunk lights. Perhaps it should have been obvious to me that this kit would render the trunk lights useless but I missed it. Does the TeslaOffer Kit that you have still allow the trunk lights to function? If yes, and if I’m able to sell my current unopened/new-in-box Hansshow version, I will likely buy that system. Thanks.

My trunk lights work okay. There is no problem with it. What happened to your installation?

Attachments

• 20191019_154208.jpg
    20191019_154208.jpg
    567.4 KB · Views: 93
  • 20191019_154206.jpg
    20191019_154206.jpg
    734.8 KB · Views: 61
FYI and I'm not sure if anyone has noticed this yet, but the non-CANBUS system tricks the car into thinking the trunk is always closed. The result is the lights in the trunk not turning on. When you first open or close to trunk you may see the light flash on for about a second. As far as I know, there are no fixes for this yet.

I was thinking about the same. However, my trunk lights actually work well without any problem. I will upload a video later to show that both the lights in the trunk work as expected. There must be something missing during the installation?

Attachments

• 20191019_154208.jpg
    20191019_154208.jpg
    567.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 20191019_154206.jpg
    20191019_154206.jpg
    734.8 KB · Views: 63
How the heck do you get the little colored plastic plugs off the trunk trim piece? I pulled that part off (inside piece of the trunk itself) and it seems like 60% of the colored clips broke. On a lot of install videos it shows them with replacement parts - I didn't get any of those though. Any idea how to remove the in-tact ones that are still in the trunk without breaking them even further?

I’m at a bit of a loss. I can’t figure out if i have the right wiring for the trunk kit. I have the struts, i have the package for the control unit, etc. but the main wiring harness that gets fed through the tubing on the passenger side, i can’t tell if i have the correct harness. And how the hell could you possibly pull this through without beheading the thing? In the picture, my guess is you pull the right side (in the picture) set from top down into the trunk. This is the cable that is all one cable, this is not a pic of two different cables. But something doesn’t seem right, nor does it look like any of the videos i saw. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.

81C09176-D31F-443C-82EE-85547F82CF2B.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m at a bit of a loss. I can’t figure out if i have the right wiring for the trunk kit. I have the struts, i have the package for the control unit, etc. but the main wiring harness that gets fed through the tubing on the passenger side, i can’t tell if i have the correct harness. And how the hell could you possibly pull this through with beheading the thing? In the picture, my guess is you pull the right side (in the picture) set from top down into the trunk. This is the cable that is all one cable, this is not a pic of two different cables. But something doesn’t seem right, nor does it look like any of the videos i saw. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.

View attachment 467981

Yeah you got the right stuff. All three wires on the left need to be the ones that go from the trunk up the rubber tubing and into the trunk lid area.

The “fixed” product/solution is they simply cut the wiring right before each connector, so you can easily run the wires through the conduit. Here is a photo that William at Hansshow just sent to me. Once you run the wires to where they need to go, you have to reconnect the wires yourself using the method/type of your choice. So, you’ll need to have some wire connectors handy. Thankfully, all the wires are color coded, so matching up & reconnecting the correct wires together should be very easy/straightforward.

I have not received my kits yet. But was told it has shipped. I ordered both trunk & frunk kits back on September 26. Waiting patiently with no complaints about the length of time. To put things into perspective, I waited over 2 months to get my order from Jeda.... and Hansshow has been far, far more responsive to my questions. Relax people!!!

View attachment 467201
I received my kit earlier this week. The cabling that has to go through the trunk cabling on the RH side isn’t like it shows on the videos or in the documentation. The connectors are connected to the ends of the cabling so something is wrong. Anybody else experience this? Here are two pics of the ends of the braided cabling. Any suggestions????

Attachments

• 52EA3B59-33C6-4DF7-A814-04AB6612185A.jpeg
    52EA3B59-33C6-4DF7-A814-04AB6612185A.jpeg
    641.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 70667294-F446-45DB-92F7-B86A60A2D435.jpeg
    70667294-F446-45DB-92F7-B86A60A2D435.jpeg
    666.9 KB · Views: 58
The group buy kits did Not include any replacement panel clips
There are multiple other differences also
1. both left and right struts have the same length cables so you can install control box on left or right
2. Struts have different part numbers for left and right
3. no cam cables, not required
4 No cabin switch, not required
5.Cables to trunk lid are not cut or provided with disassembled connectors Cable need to be cut and resoldered for install
6. no instructions warranty card only Hansshow does have an online pdf and video showing a left side control box install
l will add other differences as I find them

I received my kit earlier this week. The cabling that has to go through the trunk cabling on the RH side isn’t like it shows on the videos or in the documentation. The connectors are connected to the ends of the cabling so something is wrong. Anybody else experience this? Here are two pics of the ends of the braided cabling. Any suggestions????
This is hilarious. I just posted this same thing two posts prior. Big question is, all that stuff in my picture on the left. All that has to go up that tube?? The videos look nothing like this.

Go through the last view pages of this thread and you will see numerous posts regarding the need to remove connectors to fish the cabling through the boot, and options to do this. If you've been following, this should not be a surprise to you.

Go through the last view pages of this thread and you will see numerous posts regarding the need to remove connectors to fish the cabling through the boot, and options to do this. If you've been following, this should not be a surprise to you.
Does the tailgate plug also end up in the trunk lid? I know stupid question but there really is no video with our scenario. I.e. does the entire left side of my pic above all go into the trunk lid?

Just finished my installation. A couple things.

• I broke almost every clip taking the trunk piece off, they all went back in though and the trunk trim is on there snugly.
  • You do need to cut the wires that run up the rubber tube on the right side, or cut the rubber tube itself.
  • I opted to cut the wires, used a tool and twisted them back together.
  • I did not use soldering, just twisting and a lot of electrical tape, this works just fine so long as you get long leads on both sides when twisting.
  • You don't need to pull the tailgate button wire up through the tubing if you want to mount it inside the trunk (not on the lid).
The only thing left to do for me is get that top of the rubber sleeve on the right back inline. Its still pulled out a bit and no amount of pulling/prodding seems to get it back in there.