Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy for Power Trunk/Frunk Liftgate!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have placed an order yesterday with the discount code from the i1tesla guy and I am super excited to receive and install it seems very simple. There is a great YouTube video from the frugal Tesla guy showing the step by step and the way they connect to the 12v battery is the best way I have seen it done. $495 for the trunk and sensor is a good deal.

I suggest holding off on another group buy at this time.

There are some issues (shortcomings) with the original liftgate kit. As the current kit does NOT get interfaced to the car’s CANbus, the car does NOT know when the trunk lid is open. Thus, the touchscreen and the Tesla app always indicate the trunk is closed. As a result, I was unable to get the car alarm to activate by simulating a forced break-in to the trunk.

I’ve been in contact with Hansshow and they have been telling me they are working on a new version to address the shortcomings i told them about with the original kit. However it is very difficult dealing with them and the release of the revised kit has been delayed several times so far.

A “fix” (wiring harness modification and controller firmware update) was previously posted in this thread that allowed the car to know when the trunk lid was open. It was not a perfect fix because the trunk lid indication on the touchscreen would alternate between the open and closed position about once per second, and the trunk lights would flash ON and OFF in synchronization with the touchscreen indication, but it did enable the car to know the status of the trunk lid. Unfortunately, Hansshow requested that the modification instructions and updated firmware be removed from this thread. It was an easy modification to make to a kit already installed in the car.

According to my discussions with Hansshow, the revised kit (whenever it becomes available) will show when the trunk lid is open by alternating the indication on the touchscreen between the open and closed position (just like with the modification that was originally posted herein but later pulled), but the trunk lights will stay ON when the trunk is open (that is, they will not flash ON and OFF as they do in the pulled modification). I requested that Hansshow provide instructions (and the required firmware update) so that I can test the revisions and everyone herein can modify their installed kits. Unfortunately, Hansshow will not do so, saying we must buy a whole new liftgate kit and that I (meaning we) should trust them to have solved the shortcomings of the original design. I don’t think that is reasonable.

Tesla Offer sells a similar kit (for a little more money) but it connects to the car’s CANBus and thus does not suffer from the shortcomings of the current Hansshow kit. However, there is a risk that if Tesla changes the CANBus signals the Tesla Offer kit may not work until Tesla Offer issues a revised firmware release. Thus, one could have problems if, say, Tesla Offer was no longer in business down the road.

There are other kits on the market too. I have not examined the various kits at this time to determine whether one exists that does not require connection to the CANBus while providing a proper indication of the status of the trunk lid.

If this is the only shortcoming I have zero problems with that...

I have placed an order yesterday with the discount code from the i1tesla guy and I am super excited to receive and install it seems very simple. There is a great YouTube video from the frugal Tesla guy showing the step by step and the way they connect to the 12v battery is the best way I have seen it done. $495 for the trunk and sensor is a good deal.
Which one of the two brands did you get?

I finally finished install of the Hannshow trunk kit. Left the foot sensor for later. The most annoying part of the install is indeed the fishing through the rubber hose. I just snipped wires as needed and soldered together because I didn’t want to slice open the rubber conduit..

Couple of thoughts on operation:

1) Would love for it not to slam at the end of the closing motion but I don’t know if anything can be done about that.

2) The trunk doesn’t quite open to the maximum height of the strut travel (has another inch of travel). Following the height adjustment procedure doesn’t change anything. It would be nice to open as high as possible as the new height with this kit is considerably lower than the stock struts, and its easier to hit one’s head on the lid.

I
2) The trunk doesn’t quite open to the maximum height of the strut travel (has another inch of travel). Following the height adjustment procedure doesn’t change anything. It would be nice to open as high as possible as the new height with this kit is considerably lower than the stock struts, and its easier to hit one’s head on the lid.

See post 457 for a firmware update you can install to increase the strut travel amount. The post includes instructions detailing how to install the update.

• Helpful
Reactions: woodisgood
Which one of the two brands did you get?

I bought the Hansshow kit because it saves close to $200 and honestly I don't think that there is much of a difference. I will report back when I install it I am pretty handy so hopefully it doesn't take much longer than 2h. I have a new Model 3 with the opening under it so I don't have to take the bumper out. I reckon that passing the wires through the sleeves will be the most difficult but the video I watched shows to take the connectors off and vaseline the. whole assembly and it's going through nicely.

I bought the Hansshow kit because it saves close to $200 and honestly I don't think that there is much of a difference. I will report back when I install it I am pretty handy so hopefully it doesn't take much longer than 2h. I have a new Model 3 with the opening under it so I don't have to take the bumper out. I reckon that passing the wires through the sleeves will be the most difficult but the video I watched shows to take the connectors off and vaseline the. whole assembly and it's going through nicely.
I used dish soap on some extra awg 6 wire i had. We got that fed through in a couple of minutes. That was the easy part. Collecting all the wires and organizing everything was a bit of a pain. Also we fished the power not through the FW but through the quarter panel like they showed in one of the videos.

I used dish soap on some extra awg 6 wire i had. We got that fed through in a couple of minutes. That was the easy part. Collecting all the wires and organizing everything was a bit of a pain. Also we fished the power not through the FW but through the quarter panel like they showed in one of the videos.

Remember, the whole body of the vehicle is connected to the battery’s negative pole.
Please, make sure the power cable is not rubbing with the fender edge. Sometimes, it causes fire even if there is a fuse.

• Informative
Reactions: notrhj
Hi I'm wondering if anyone has the same issues with the TeslaOffer frunk kit as me. I purchased it when it first came out and it would work with an older version of their firmware but not the latest. The issue with the old firmware is that the frunk kit would reinitialize every time the car goes to sleep, which is quite annoying. Otherwise it works fine. They said it happened to a few other NA cars and that the signal is somehow different. It didn't makes sense because I also have their trunk kit and it works perfectly.

For what it is worth, I received the following email this morning:

We are doing big promotion for BLACK FRIDAY from 27th, Nov. to 2nd,Dec., all our products are selling in bottom price.

You can use our discount code "like tesla" to get 22.2% discount, then you will get our power frunk or trunk by USD389, including ship cost and taxes. It is the best best price for all over the year.

And we have adwards to the customer who share our links to their friends, family and they place orders sucessufully.

Promo activity purchase link:
Model 3 power frunk and trunk:
https://www.hautopart.com/product/tesla-model-3-electric-liftgate-and-front-trunk/
Model S(2016+) power frunk:
https://www.hautopart.com/product/tesla-model-s-power-frunk/
Model X power frunk:
https://www.hautopart.com/product/tesla-model-x-frunk/

If your friends make the order, please remember to send us your friend's order number and name to our email address [email protected].

Rewards information as below:
Get 1 order:1 set Welcome Door Light with customizing your name with 4 doors;
Get 2 orders: 2 sets Carbon Fiber rearview mirror cover;
Get 3 orders: 2 sets seat Massage Module;
Get 4 orders: 1 set Carbon Fiber Spoiler Wing;
Get 5 orders: 1 set Handle Sensor with 4 doors;
Get over 6 orders: 1 set Power Frunk or Trunk;
Get over 10 orders: 1 set Soft-Close Door with 4 doors.

What's more, we are looking for installer, if you can help other friends to do the installtion (they will pay you for the installation) or you have a recommend installer.

Please contact me with their email address, phone number and address, after confirmed, we will send you 1 set Welcome Door Light with customizing your name with 4 doors for free.

Thanks & Regards,

Dela Qin

Sales Manager

Cell: +86 156 2220 3621(WhatsApp,Wechat,Skype)

Email: [email protected]

Guangzhou Hansshow Technology Co., Ltd

The sale price is tempting...

Has there been any progress/updates with the Hansshow kit showing the status of the open trunk on the display or phone app?

Also, anything new with the issue where the trunk lights don't turn on when the trunk is open?

Thanks.

I finally finished install of the Hannshow trunk kit. Left the foot sensor for later. The most annoying part of the install is indeed the fishing through the rubber hose. I just snipped wires as needed and soldered together because I didn’t want to slice open the rubber conduit..

Couple of thoughts on operation:

1) Would love for it not to slam at the end of the closing motion but I don’t know if anything can be done about that.

Both are my only complaints....although the slight slam isn’t bad....hardly noticeable from outside the vehicle....somewhat annoying if “in” the car....still “soft closes” but AFTER the slam which seems to defeat the ‘purpose’ of soft close to me.......loving the kit otherwise.

(#2) was my biggest gripe. Apparently there was a firmware update someone got sent to them to modify opening height to higher but I haven’t tried it as I’m worried it will screw things up as it’s working fine now. Don’t know how much more height it will give.

Ski

Last edited:
The sale price is tempting...

Has there been any progress/updates with the Hansshow kit showing the status of the open trunk on the display or phone app?

Also, anything new with the issue where the trunk lights don't turn on when the trunk is open?

Thanks.

Yes, they have the third generation now that show the status of the trunk on the screen when it's open. Use my code "teslaquan" to get discount for your order.