Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy for Power Trunk/Frunk Liftgate!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@swegman,

Have you applied the fw update?

Ski

I have not applied that update. I applied a different firmware update that was posted and then removed with instructions how to modify the wiring harness so that the touchscreen and Tesla app indicate when the trunk lid is open. That firmware update does not include the changes to open the trunk lid more.

To me, it was more important that the car note when the trunk is open, so that the car alarm activates if the trunk is forced open. I was unable to get the car alarm to trigger when simulating the breaking in of the trunk with the original trunk kit because the original kit does not allow the car to register when the trunk is open. Fortunately I was able to download the wiring harness modification instructions and firmware update before they were removed from this thread.

The modifications were easy to make to the wiring harness and updating the firmware was a piece of cake as long as the SD memory card was formatted as FAT32.

Please note that the modified wiring harness with updated firmware (which was removed from this thread) AND the revised kit Hansshow says they will be (are) shipping visually indicates when the trunk is open by alternating the trunk indication on the touchscreen (and Tesla app) between the closed position and the open position about once per second. In addition, the icon on the touchscreen also alternates between “Open” and “Opened” about once per second. It’s not a perfect (elegant) solution (you can only close the trunk lid via the touchscreen or Tesla app when the icon says “Open”; a careful examination shows the term “Opened” is grayed out) but at least the car knows the trunk has been opened. See the video posted by William Chan above.

What the video fails to show is the operation of the trunk lights. The modification I made to one kit per the (now removed) Hansshow issued modification instructions results in the trunk lights flashing ON and OFF in synchronization with the alternating touchscreen indication.

The fact that the posted video does not show the operation of the trunk lights is of concern to me. I PM’ed William a week ago about this issue and suggested he post another video showing the operation of the trunk lights, but there has been nothing to date. Thus, I suspect that the trunk lights flash ON and OFF when the trunk lid is open. I hope I am wrong in this, but I do wonder why the video omits showing the operation of the trunk lights when it was one of the issues I raised to Hansshow. Hopefully, someone can post a video soon that clearly shows the operation of the trunk lights in the revised Hansshow kit.

The Hansshow kit is easy to install and does pretty much what it was designed to do. IF the manufacturer has been able to REVISE the kit so that the trunk lights stay ON steady when the trunk is open, I would have no reservation in recommending the product, even with the inelegant way in which a visual indication is provided on the touchscreen and Tesla app of the trunk being open.

I have a kit I received a couple of weeks ago from the last group buy, but still waiting on my car to be delivered so I can install it. Is there any way to tell what version my kit is based the controller, cables, etc.?

The revised kit is shipping shortly (or just started shipping). If you got your kit a few weeks ago (or even a week ago), it is the unrevised version that does not indicate the status of the trunk lid on the touchscreen and app (unless you modify the kit’s wiring harness and install an updated firmware onto the controller module).

I have not applied that update. I applied a different firmware update that was posted and then removed with instructions how to modify the wiring harness so that the touchscreen and Tesla app indicate when the trunk lid is open. That firmware update does not include the changes to open the trunk lid more.

To me, it was more important that the car note when the trunk is open, so that the car alarm activates if the trunk is forced open. I was unable to get the car alarm to trigger when simulating the breaking in of the trunk with the original trunk kit because the original kit does not allow the car to register when the trunk is open. Fortunately I was able to download the wiring harness modification instructions and firmware update before they were removed from this thread.

The modifications were easy to make to the wiring harness and updating the firmware was a piece of cake as long as the SD memory card was formatted as FAT32.

Please note that the modified wiring harness with updated firmware (which was removed from this thread) AND the revised kit Hansshow says they will be (are) shipping visually indicates when the trunk is open by alternating the trunk indication on the touchscreen (and Tesla app) between the closed position and the open position about once per second. In addition, the icon on the touchscreen also alternates between “Open” and “Opened” about once per second. It’s not a perfect (elegant) solution (you can only close the trunk lid via the touchscreen or Tesla app when the icon says “Open”; a careful examination shows the term “Opened” is grayed out) but at least the car knows the trunk has been opened. See the video posted by William Chan above.

What the video fails to show is the operation of the trunk lights. The modification I made to one kit per the (now removed) Hansshow issued modification instructions results in the trunk lights flashing ON and OFF in synchronization with the alternating touchscreen indication.

The fact that the posted video does not show the operation of the trunk lights is of concern to me. I PM’ed William a week ago about this issue and suggested he post another video showing the operation of the trunk lights, but there has been nothing to date. Thus, I suspect that the trunk lights flash ON and OFF when the trunk lid is open. I hope I am wrong in this, but I do wonder why the video omits showing the operation of the trunk lights when it was one of the issues I raised to Hansshow. Hopefully, someone can post a video soon that clearly shows the operation of the trunk lights in the revised Hansshow kit.

The Hansshow kit is easy to install and does pretty much what it was designed to do. IF the manufacturer has been able to REVISE the kit so that the trunk lights stay ON steady when the trunk is open, I would have no reservation in recommending the product, even with the inelegant way in which a visual indication is provided on the touchscreen and Tesla app of the trunk being open.

This can't be the actual fix on the new kits shipped...right!? Surely they would know that flashing trunk lights and a jumpy screen isn't a satisfactory fix to make buyers happy. Can anyone else comment or does anyone have the updated kit that was fixed by the manufacturer?

This can't be the actual fix on the new kits shipped...right!? Surely they would know that flashing trunk lights and a jumpy screen isn't a satisfactory fix to make buyers happy. Can anyone else comment or does anyone have the updated kit that was fixed by the manufacturer?

I was told by the company that the revised kit would have the screen indication as I posted above. If you watch the video that William posted of the alleged revised kit operation, you will see it confirms what I posted; namely, that when the trunk lid is open, the touchscreen shows the trunk lid alternating between the closed position and the open position, with the icon on the touchscreen simultaneously alternating between the term “Open” and the term “Opened” (grayed out).

I don’t know what the operation of the trunk lights are on the revised kits. I do know that if one implements the Hansshow modification (that was posted on this thread but then removed) to the original kit, that the trunk lights flash ON and OFF in unison with the trunk lid indication on the touchscreen. The video of the alleged revised kit posted by William fails to show the operation of the trunk lights in the revised kit. So the operation of the trunk lights is an unanswered question at this time that may be of concern to potential buyers of the revised trunk liftgate kit, but will be known as soon as someone here installs the revised kit in their car and posts their observations here.

No trunk liftgate kit is perfect as they are not OEM products integrated into the car’s software code by Tesla. For example, the Tesla Offer kit can show the trunk in an open state because it interfaces to the car’s CANBus. However, the Tesla Offer kit does not allow one to close the trunk via the touchscreen because Tesla incorporated no programming for that function when the touchscreen icon says “Opened”. So all after-market trunk liftgate kits will have some compromises in their operation. The issue becomes what compromises are you willing to tolerate. I was planning to order a large number of kits from Hansshow and for me (and many potential customers) it is important that the car knows the status of the trunk lid (eg, whether it is open or closed) so that the car alarm will activate if the trunk is forced open and so a text can be sent alerting you of the break-in via the Tesla app. I’m personally ok with the alternating indication of the trunk lid on the touchscreen and the flashing trunk lights, but it is a deal breaker for the people that have spoken to me about wanting the kit for their cars. They (mostly older individuals) demand that the trunk lights turn ON steady (eg, do not flash) when the trunk lid is open.

I feel the Hansshow kit is a satisfactory product in its original form (thou I feel it is a very good product if one implements the modification that was posted herein and then removed).

Bottom line is to investigate the feature set and limitations of the various kits on the market and decide which kit is most compliant with your requirements. If a feature or operation is important to you and it is not obvious that a particular kit has it, ask about it. Don’t assume the product will have it. Only by doing this homework will you avoid any unpleasant surprises.

• Informative
Reactions: dchobo
Hello All - here is my experience - Hansshow has been very good communication wise in responding to me via WhatsApp - they confirmed that kits that shipped after 11/27 are their version 3 and will work as expected with the car's computer. Mine is on its way and I will install it soon and will let you guys know.

Hello All - here is my experience - Hansshow has been very good communication wise in responding to me via WhatsApp - they confirmed that kits that shipped after 11/27 are their version 3 and will work as expected with the car's computer. Mine is on its way and I will install it soon and will let you guys know.

Please specifically let us all know how the trunk lights operate when the trunk lid is open. That is, let us know whether the trunk lights flash ON and OFF, or whether they are steady ON.

Post 2 months now of install my foot sensor all but has stopped working; no amount of foot waving seems to get it going. 50% of the time if I open the trunk, I can close it with the foot sensor but that's really useless given I wanted to open it with the foot wave. The irony given that was the impetus for the purchase. I went through a lot of effort to get that bumper off and back on and the thought to investigate it makes me cringe.

Can anyone else comment on how their foot sensor is holding up?

Post 2 months now of install my foot sensor all but has stopped working; no amount of foot waving seems to get it going. 50% of the time if I open the trunk, I can close it with the foot sensor but that's really useless given I wanted to open it with the foot wave. The irony given that was the impetus for the purchase. I went through a lot of effort to get that bumper off and back on and the thought to investigate it makes me cringe.

Well....I installed mine in my bumper (when I dropped it and had it off) when I did the whole Trunk install. However I haven’t spliced the wires and wired it up yet. Loving the Trunk unit just haven’t wired up the FS so I can’t help you. I don’t even want to think about having to drop that bumper again if I have too! I hear ya. Let me know what HansnShow says and what you find out in your troubleshooting.

Ski

Mine has a similar problem, too.

Same - I cleaned the area before placing the double sided tape and that sucker was on strong.

Shockingly, while taking out the groceries, my wife said it worked yesterday - how inconsistent!
So when I first installed it I thought it to be very inconsistent. Then I realized that I had to make a very quick forward/backward kicking motion. Almost like trying to make someone flinch. And it works every time now.

Reactions: not4antoher