Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy for Power Trunk/Frunk Liftgate!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was it a tip that others could benefit from knowing that Steph shared with you on WhatsApp?
No, I made a mistake myself in loading the trunk firmware on the frunk controller. Stephen was able to get me the frunk firmware and once I replaced it everything worked as expected. I've had both the frunk and the trunk installed for almost a week now and have had no issues so far.

Hmmmm.... There's new firmware for the Frunk?? Didn't see anything about it in the manual.

Does the update stop the "whir-whir-whir-whir" after the hood closes? Does it reverse if it discovers it is pinching something? I was disappointed trying to stop it from closing on a bottle that was too tall for it to shut, but it just kept trying to close, even after I pulled it open by hand. I had to get the bottle out and then let it finish closing. It went ahead and locked, but it seems to me it should have given up and opened again like my garage door would.

I am passing on these for now. I was interested in the frunk unit, until I watched the video for the frunk install. That’s quite a wiring harness, and seems between the motor and controller, there could be lots of extra work if any of the parts become defective.

I wonder how that would effect the car warranty, especially if you have any electrical issues.
But for all of you who have installed it, I hope it lasts many years.

Now the trunk has stopped responding and I have to crawl in and use the emergency release to open it. Also, the struts are basically not removable because the clip for the bottom ball socket is not accessible to be able to pry it open to release.

My V3 trunk kit is installed and working well but yes it was tricky to make the connection in the parcel shelf. What I'm wondering now is what I'll need to do if anything major goes wrong and I need to revert to the original struts and operation. Is my only option to remove the passenger trim panels again and take out the trunk state harness? The trunk state harness makes the relevant connections available at the controller. Therefore could I leave the harness in place and re-establish the original wiring by shorting pairs of pins at the trunk state plug at the controller? If so could Hansshow make a prewired plug to do this?

Or does the controller act in a failsafe manner - i.e. when the power is off all the original car functions are still available so all I'd need to do is put the original struts back?

On a related note, has anyone managed to get the hansshow struts off?

I am passing on these for now. I was interested in the frunk unit, until I watched the video for the frunk install.
It was SO worth the almost $400 to finally not have to talk about how to close the frunk with everyone, watch the wife do it wrong and want to harp on her. Even doing it myself and seeing the oil prints I am leaving from the various parts of my hand I tried to use to cleanly close the hood. Just press the button and walk away as it closes. Even it opening all the way up when I press the button still thrills me. I can even close it again remotely after we have brought everything in from the car.

I don't know what you think will go wrong with this install. I kept the struts, so if it breaks I can pop the hood and put them back in, but this is an actual car parts manufacturer that is providing these kits. That's why they are so expensive. I would be shocked if there are issues with the Frunk unit. If there are, I know where to get replacement parts. And the install was super fast. No potential CanBus issues, it does one thing and it just works.

It was SO worth the almost $400 to finally not have to talk about how to close the frunk with everyone, watch the wife do it wrong and want to harp on her. Even doing it myself and seeing the oil prints I am leaving from the various parts of my hand I tried to use to cleanly close the hood. Just press the button and walk away as it closes. Even it opening all the way up when I press the button still thrills me. I can even close it again remotely after we have brought everything in from the car.

I don't know what you think will go wrong with this install. I kept the struts, so if it breaks I can pop the hood and put them back in, but this is an actual car parts manufacturer that is providing these kits. That's why they are so expensive. I would be shocked if there are issues with the Frunk unit. If there are, I know where to get replacement parts. And the install was super fast. No potential CanBus issues, it does one thing and it just works.

Good to know. I plan on keeping track of how often I think to my self, “this would store much nicer in the frunk instead of the trunk, but I really do not want to open it because it’s such a pain to close......”. I fully agree with your thoughts on having to take extra care and the mental pain of closing the frunk.

Reactions: Moonlight

Agreed. The Frunk solution is awesome. I use it every day. The trunk is great too, just can’t get the status to show open, it always shows closed, unlike frunk. But I’m cool with that. So far, it’s an amazing product.

Does anybody have the pin outs for the Trunk controller ?
I have a version one and would like the controller to only work with the trunk button, key fob and phone Application screen. I DO Not want it to work for closing from inside the car and would like the inside display screen to show that the trunk is open the same way it works for the frunk.

2)Do you think it's better to modify back to version 2?
YES!
I've installed many of these kits for folks in the DC area, and I finally had the unfortunate task of installing a V3 trunk kit. Removing all the extra panels to get to the small connector was so difficult and time consuming (I didn't want to break anything or set off an air bag), I had to stop installing trunk kits since there wasn't a reasonable price I could charge to endure the torture of the install. :(

YES!
I've installed many of these kits for folks in the DC area, and I finally had the unfortunate task of installing a V3 trunk kit. Removing all the extra panels to get to the small connector was so difficult and time consuming (I didn't want to break anything or set off an air bag), I had to stop installing trunk kits since there wasn't a reasonable price I could charge to endure the torture of the install. :(
YES! YES! Go back to V2! I haven't installed it yet. Waiting for warmer weather here. Would it be possible to just get a V2 cable and connect in the trunk lid? Maybe get the V2 firmware and downgrade the controller? At first, I was looking at not having to open the trunk lid, and break clips, by just installing the button on the side somewhere. (Wife is short and would have difficulty reaching the button on the open lid anyway.

The Hansshow Frunk kit now comes with a silicone case.
I’ve ordered one and installed it recently. Took me about half an hour. Just need to redo some wires.
The controller is under the plastic cover but dust and grime can get in there. So, it is a good idea to weather proof the controller.
Contact Hansshow if you want to get one. They only charge me shipping.
case3.jpg

I had the V3 frunk and trunk kits installed today on my 2020 Model 3. I did not do it, although I successfully installed an aftermarket power liftgate on my 2013 non-tech package Model S, so I sort of new the drill.

Hansshow’s referred local installer never returned my calls or texts, but my trusted local car audio installer, who has done several projects for me in the past, was willing to do it. I figured better him than me. Although I successfully installed my Model S one, it was stressful, frustrating, and took 3-4x as long as someone who knows what they’re doing.

Anyway, my installer said the directions were not that hard when he read them. He said running the wires was pretty easy for him. This is, after all, what he does for a living - pulling off interior trim panels and carpets and running wires in tight spaces. He did, however, say calibration was a bit challenging and that he needed to adjust the latches more than expected to get things working right.

With his assistant, they started a little after 9am and were done with everything a little before 3pm.

From my perspective, both kits work great. Both the frunk and trunk will open and close from the app. Closing is easy with the buttons in the frunk and new button installed in the trunk. Open and closed status are accurately depicted on the car screen and on the app. From the car screen, I can open and close the trunk using the on screen button. I can only open, but not close the frunk with the on screen car button.

The soft close is really nice and gives the car a more luxurious feel. The struts seem powerful and robust. I haven’t adjusted the speed yet, but whatever settings both are currently at work just fine for me - neither too fast nor too slow.

Only minor complaint is that the warning chirp is a little too loud, but not horrible and will be tolerable. I also need to check the safety settings. As the trunk closes, I put my arm out to test the pinch sensor and it stops in place. On my Model S kit, it pauses and then goes up to full opening height. On the frunk, the hood pauses, but when I remove my arm it continues to close.

Oh, I also bought a foot sensor, but decided not to install it. The directions for the foot sensor and scant and I decided I didn’t want to mess with my bumper.

Overall, I’m pretty happy with these. The lack of power liftgate was one of the reasons I canceled my day 1 Model 3 order (also wanted a hatchback and a sunroof) but these kits seem to be a good substitute for the missing power liftgate feature.

I hope they are durable, reliable and able to survive the mystery of future Tesla firmware updates.

Frunk was super easy to install, took a bit over an hour of my time, and an hour watching the video, although I watched the video all the way thru before the frunk kit arrived. I watched the video again and did the install watching one step and then performing it. I was fortunate that I didn't have to adjust the latch to get it to close cleanly. I did get stuck for a second when I first tried it. Turns out I needed to physically move the hood a bit before it would operate. It may take longer if you don't do this sort of work normally. There is a bit of courage needed to pull your car apart. If you are nervous you may be stymied by the take-apart. Or be nervous about putting it back together for fear you forgot something and you don't wanna take it apart again. Just push thru, it's an easy install.

The Trunk connects to the Canbus so I decided not to do it (plus I LIKE the way the trunk operates). I feared some future update would nurf my install and I would have to back it out. It is SO nice to have the Frunk done, never liked closing with two hands and fear of scratching. I already have a bunch of expected scratches around the door handle. If only there was a way to trigger the frunk like the foot trigger for the trunk, heck if sentry mode is on, why cannot I wave or thumbs-up my car and have it pop the hood?