Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy for Power Trunk/Frunk Liftgate!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can see my other post for answers to lots of those but for the other questions.

When the Frunk is closed :
1. App shows the closed image and pressing the Frunk button prompts to open the Frunk and the Frunk opens
2. Interior screen shows closed and the button says open

When the Frunk is open:
1. App shows the Frunk open on the image of the car. Pressing the Frunk button in the app prompts to OPEN the Frunk but it actually closes it. Then once closed the image updates to closed
2. Interior screen shows the Frunk closed and has an Open button. Pressing the open button closes the Frunk.

As far as timing. I ordered April 21st and got it May 4th.

I recently installed the v3 frunk kit on my car and my result is different. When my frunk is opened, the interior touchscreen shows the frunk open, and the "Open" button remains click-able. This mirrors exactly what is shown in Hansshows demo video for the v3 kit and was an important consideration for me, as I wanted to ensure the car knew whenever the frunk was opened.

To clarify, both the app and the interior touchscreen shows an open frunk on the image of my car when the frunk is opened. The frunk can then be closed from the app, the touchscreen, or any other functionality provided by the kit.

[EDIT]
One other comment on the v3 kits. It installs exactly the same as the v1/v2 kit since the wire harness is identical, other than 1 extra pin/wire on the main plug into the controller.

One difference is that the harness that plugs into the emergency open button (the illuminated/glow-in-the-dark one) needs to be unplugged after initial setup. Leaving this harness plugged in will mean your frunk will, every time, auto-open after being closed for 8 seconds.

Note - even though you unplug the Hansshow harness from the emergency open button after initial setup, you can still use that button to auto-close the frunk during normal operation. The Hansshow kit still works the same as v1/v2 in that regard.

Last edited:
Reactions: dburkland
I had to mod the hood brackets on mine when I installed it. Only needed to give it about 1mm of extra movement upwards, took 30 seconds with a dremel. You can’t see the holes once you refit the brackets to the hood, but I touched them up with black paint anyway.

The trick to getting the fitment right is to remove the hook from the hood so that you can open and close it fully without the latch engaging while testing.

On my car 2020 SR+ (late-2019 build), this trick solved the issue of the frunk not closing all the way. I would highly recommend.

The problem is the Hansshow struts have a shorter travel distance compared to the OEM Tesla struts. Seems common on 2020 Model 3's. If you remove the black frunk-strut bracket on each side (held by 2x 13mm nuts), you'll notice that there are 2 holes - 1 is round and the other is slightly oblong. Taking a drill or dremel with a burr tip attached, you can lengthen the round hole by about 1mm to make roughly the same as the oblong hole. This then gives the bracket some forwarded/backward play when installed. Re-install the bracket with it pushed all the way upward (forward, toward the front of the frunk), and you will notice the frunk now sits at a slightly lower angle. And, as a result, will close all the way even with the Hansshow struts.

I recently installed the v3 frunk kit on my car and my result is different. When my frunk is opened, the interior touchscreen shows the frunk open, and the "Open" button remains click-able. This mirrors exactly what is shown in Hansshows demo video for the v3 kit and was an important consideration for me, as I wanted to ensure the car knew whenever the frunk was opened.

To clarify, both the app and the interior touchscreen shows an open frunk on the image of my car when the frunk is opened. The frunk can then be closed from the app, the touchscreen, or any other functionality provided by the kit.

[EDIT]
One other comment on the v3 kits. It installs exactly the same as the v1/v2 kit since the wire harness is identical, other than 1 extra pin/wire on the main plug into the controller.

One difference is that the harness that plugs into the emergency open button (the illuminated/glow-in-the-dark one) needs to be unplugged after initial setup. Leaving this harness plugged in will mean your frunk will, every time, auto-open after being closed for 8 seconds.

Note - even though you unplug the Hansshow harness from the emergency open button after initial setup, you can still use that button to auto-close the frunk during normal operation. The Hansshow kit still works the same as v1/v2 in that regard.

I stand corrected. I looked again and it definitely shows the Frunk open when on the screen in the car. To be frank, I never actually noticed the animation that showed it was open lol. I thought it only changed in the app, not in the screen in the car. So you are correct. I'll update my original post. ... well i guess the forum wont let me edit it now haha!

Yeah, I'll install it this week. I'm hoping that it at least works to close the frunk. Honestly - the way they're handling this is interesting. The frunk module has no knowledge of the security status or drive status of the car, so the foot sensor doesn't connect to that. The foot sensor triggers the emergency frunk release. Apparently, the emergency frunk release (you know, the one where you put 9V or 12V to the terminals) only works if a) 12V battery is dead, or b) car is unlocked.

I recall that many months ago a bunch of people were concerned that you could use the emergency frunk release when the battery was not dead. I now assume that when they tested it, the car was unlocked, so vcfront popped the frunk.

I just got my V3 update for the Frunk with the foot sensor mod. It included the foot sensor, the small control box, TWO cables, the bag, and the SD card. And only the foot sensor instructions. One cable was the foot sensor cable and the other looks like the main harness.

I would ass-u-me that I am supposed to replace the original harness from my frunk install (No idea of the version, I ordered it on Black Friday) and also upgrade the firmware. (The updatge.bin file is dated 4/27/2020) Did William ever tell you why you should not update the firmware?

Last edited:
I just got my V3 update for the Frunk with the foot sensor mod. It included the foot sensor, the small control box, TWO cables, the bag, and the SD card. And only the foot sensor instructions. One cable was the foot sensor cable and the other looks like the main harness.

I would ass-u-me that I am supposed to replace the original harness from my frunk install (No idea of the version, I ordered it on Black Friday) and also upgrade the firmware. (The updatge.bin file is dated 4/27/2020) Did William ever tell you why you should not update the firmware?
Why would you not update the firmware?

I just installed the V3 frunk upgrade kit today. The new firmware is great, it changes the way the frunk opens and closes, making it much smoother and more quiet. I didn't read all the previous recent notes here, so I didn't know you had to detach the emergency button harness (and reattach the standard connector) when done, and the frunk kept opening up on it's own. Grrr. Then read you have to detach it (which wasn't necessary in V1), and it works fine.

I do have a question, anyone know if the V1 harness can still be used with the V3 firmware? I suspect that it can (based on previous posts, but asking one more time to make sure). The upgrade kit came with a new harness which is cleaner (better wrapped wires), so I installed it, but I'm curious if the old V1 harness would have still worked.

Another note, the connector to the sensor switch isn't a perfect match, and the locking tab on it doesn't fully engage. This caused the connector to work loose and then I would get random "Frunk open" error messages. I had to shave down guide rails (make them thinner) on the sensor switch connector to allow the locking tab to fully engage, and that solved the problem.

Why would you not update the firmware?

I was only being cautious because you said in #954 and #955 that William sent you the firmware and then told you to remove it. But re-reading your description, you seemed to get an earlier version of the V3 installation. I will be installing it in a couple of hours as indicated in previous posts. I will replace the main harness not knowing if that is really necessary, upgrading the firmware they supplied, and installing the foot sensor.

I now understand why the foot sensor cannot open the Frunk if the car is locked, because they are using the emergency open wire in the bumper. I would have thought they could have somehow tapped into the switch in the Frunk, assuming it can open the Frunk in case someone is stuck inside. (Must be a pretty small person ) But it is what it is. At least I will be able to close the Frunk from inside on the control screen.

I do have a question, anyone know if the V1 harness can still be used with the V3 firmware? I suspect that it can (based on previous posts, but asking one more time to make sure). The upgrade kit came with a new harness which is cleaner (better wrapped wires), so I installed it, but I'm curious if the old V1 harness would have still worked.
Answering my own question - I contacted Hansshow on WhatsApp and they said the V1 harness will work with the new firmware, so it's not necessary to change it out.

Answering my own question - I contacted Hansshow on WhatsApp and they said the V1 harness will work with the new firmware, so it's not necessary to change it out.

That's odd. I haven't had a chance to even open up what I received yet but at first I needed a new controller for the open/close from the screen feature which I paid for. Then I just needed a new harness so they refunded back a small bit of money. But now it sounds like I just needed the new firmware.

I'm going to install the foot sensor eventually which will need the new harness but all I initially wanted was the ability to close the frunk from the screen.

If only I could update my firmware. I've tried 5 different SD cards and it doesn't work on any of them. I feel like William sent me the wrong firmware (my V3 upgrade package was missing the card). Could someone send me the file that's on their update card?

I was only being cautious because you said in #954 and #955 that William sent you the firmware and then told you to remove it. But re-reading your description, you seemed to get an earlier version of the V3 installation. I will be installing it in a couple of hours as indicated in previous posts. I will replace the main harness not knowing if that is really necessary, upgrading the firmware they supplied, and installing the foot sensor.

I now understand why the foot sensor cannot open the Frunk if the car is locked, because they are using the emergency open wire in the bumper. I would have thought they could have somehow tapped into the switch in the Frunk, assuming it can open the Frunk in case someone is stuck inside. (Must be a pretty small person ) But it is what it is. At least I will be able to close the Frunk from inside on the control screen.
If they tapped into the switch in the frunk, then the foot sensor could open the trunk any time, anywhere. Anyone could open your frunk. It could even activate on the road - although the trunk would only open partially if the speed is above 5mph I believe.

The file that was referenced in 954/955 has been deleted. It was about re-wiring older versions of the foot sensor.

Well from what I understand, the bypass shared with me by a Hansshow engineer isn't final. When you reached to them for the fix of the Trunk max position on top of this method, the management "I guess" freaked out about this and called back the engineer.
They are maybe now putting more effort on this to try to test it and find a solution for the blinking trunk lights. I think we should probably let them do more tests and get back to us when they will have something more stable.

I have installed Hansshow power trunk on my model 3 but it is a v2 kit that doesnt show status etc on the screen.. i asked my supplier about upgrading it to v3 and they have sent me an update file from Hansshow but said that it needs an upgraded cable to support the v3 features.. do you know how to modify the existing wiring to make this work?

Correction: the frunk V1 harness will NOT work with the V3 firmware without modifications to the harness. I attempted to install the V3 firmware on a V1 car and the programming button (emergency release button) did not work. The wiring on the V3 connector is different than the V1. The white wire (the debugging/programming button) has moved to a new location (up next to the purple wire), and the old location is now just a duplicate of the blue wire above it. I fixed the problem by moving the white wire, and then taking a pin from my old V1 harness and, putting it in the old white wire slot, and connecting it to the blue wire. So if you don't have an extra old wire harness around to steal a connection pin, I don't recommend doing this, and simply just get the proper V3 harness.

• Informative
Reactions: Skione65

[EDIT]

thx for the info... I have a v1 that was pro installed.

Would you do a video of the retrofit to v3 so I can gage the difficulty?