Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group buy for the 4k Blackvue Dashcam?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

viper2ko

Aug 30, 2017
USA
I saw that we were able to successfully organize a group buy for the 750s. Is there any interest in trying to organize another one for the 4k model or the 750s again? I believe the last time they needed 75 orders.

I'm interested... but I'm a bit concerned with the fact that we can't get a good card that holds more than 128GB at this point. At 4k resolution, that's not much recording time.

Unless you're planning to do a cross country marathon without downloading the video it really shouldn't be a major concern. It will not overwrite an "incident" i.e. motion sensed or impact sensed when in parking lot mode and you wouldn't have it recording continuously in parking lot mode to save space. Most people probably don't drive more than 4 hours a day. The 128GB card should be able to hold that much continuous. I usually use my wifi hotspot on my phone or connect to wifi at work to upload my drive in to work so I have plenty of space for anything throughout the rest of the day and then do the same when I get home. I've even heard of people that write scripts to have this done automatically when connecting to home wifi.

To be clear I don't have a DR900S yet only a DR750 but I'll still do the same especially with recording the 4K. Waiting on my next shipment in a couple of weeks for the DR900S to swap in. It's a direct replacement for the front DR750S/650S camera. The mounting bracket and wiring are all the same and it's compatible with the other camera's rear camera so it's a plug and play upgrade. However you have to buy the 2CH version because the 1CH front camera doesn't have a port for the rear camera.

I'm interested... but I'm a bit concerned with the fact that we can't get a good card that holds more than 128GB at this point. At 4k resolution, that's not much recording time.
The BlackVue 900 uses H.265 HEVC compression. Most 4K devices use this algorithm to enable higher quality files at similar file sizes to the older H.264 compression. Basically you shouldn’t have any issues with real world use on a 128GB card.