Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GROUP BUY - MCU-1 to MCU-2 Upgrade, Testing interest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a question from a computer geek who knows nothing whatsoever about the electronics in my AP2 Model S. I hope it's not so naive as to cause hearty laughter.
When Elon tweeted "Working on it" recently in response to questions about upgrading MCU1 to MCU2, didn't that imply that Tesla would offer this upgrade at SCs? If so, wouldn't they have to read the old eMMC and write the data into the new MCU2's eMMC, just as they do when replacing a failed MCU1?
OR, is this proposed research project aimed at finding a DIY approach to the upgrade?

Yes. Tesla is planning on it. As to when, that is an entirely different story BUT I have info I just can't share quite yet which is making me say... hang tight. The research is for DIY.

FYI actual cost will be somewhere around 4k to replace MCU and IC.

I'm interested in upgrading my cars from MCU1 to MCU2 if it's not cost prohibitive. That being said, both of my CPO Model S's are still under extended warranty through Tesla so I'm not willing to do this outside of Tesla currently. If Tesla offers something that's reasonable price-wise I'd consider it. Otherwise, once my warranty is up I'd throw my hat in the ring on this and a few other "upgrades" via 3rd party offerings.

I was quoted $3000 for the MCU upgrade. Has anyone else got any quotes for the upgrade.

My two cents is pushing for an official service from Tesla. $200 from each person as “union dues” for a rep to spam the hell out of Tesla, Elon and annoy them to submission would be best course of action.

It seemed to work really well for the 3P- when they lobbied for 5K off, track mode, etc.
Agreed. I’ve tweeted at him 5x this week. Let’s share our handles so we can tag each other. My model S 2014 has been with the service center since last week after having it towed due to MCU failure 2x mobile team was able to revive it.

• Informative
Reactions: StarLog
Just spoke to a UK service center about unrelated matter (I screwed up my car with some truly disastrous parking...) and asked about MCU1->2 upgrade. Their reply: (on phone)

"NOT YET."

I pushed..

"Its technically totally possible... we just haven't done one yet".

So sounds like it will happen when they are less swamped :D

Reactions: scottf200
Any
Just spoke to a UK service center about unrelated matter (I screwed up my car with some truly disastrous parking...) and asked about MCU1->2 upgrade. Their reply: (on phone)

"NOT YET."

I pushed..

"Its technically totally possible... we just haven't done one yet".

So sounds like it will happen when they are less swamped :D
Anything is possible, but as we've discussed way above, you need to produce the parts and instructions. I still can't see why we can't get a date of some type (even bogus) out of Elon. With us not getting 2019.40.50 at all (as far as I can see) so far, it's one more example of second class....

Subscribed!
FYI to you and others ... you don't have to post to 'subscribe' In the top right you can click 'watch thread' (and then 'unwatch thread' to stop).
GVLhHTQ.jpg

I just this week had my MCU replaced under warranty. I have a Nov 2014 car. They gave me a 4G/LTE modem to replace my 3G, although I still cannot get on the Internet. Well, I can, let's say I go to ESPN, I get the ESPN home page and none of the links do anything, nothing on the page does anything, and it comes and goes, the main page. I get either the page or a blank screen, it goes back and forth. Actually a white screen. That aside, I tried to get a MCU2, as they were replacing my MCU1. This was the exchange -

If I'm getting a MCU1 can I pay whatever the difference and get a MCU2? The MCU1 is on backorder, it's been a week.

The exact answer was, "Unfortunately we are unable to do the upgrade. It will be the one designed for your vehicle".

So in the end I got a LTE upgrade and a refurb MCU, but I still can't seem to get the internet function to work. Unless all links on all pages are disabled somehow. I get the same thing as I do on ESPN if I go to Google News, I see all the stories, but can't click into them. LTE or WIFI.

I need to find someone near me to get me to look at their car:)

Last edited: