Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GROUP BUY - MCU-1 to MCU-2 Upgrade, Testing interest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@verygreen has just posted on twitter about how ne upgraded his Model X from MCU1 and IC1 to MCU2.. he mentions that he did not have to make change any connectors..
What does "just posted" mean. I thought he did this a while ago (referenced in several threads) and not "just" recently. Also would be helpful if you posted the tweet URL for easier reading/understanding.

• Disagree
Reactions: CreamSoduh
What does "just posted" mean. I thought he did this a while ago (referenced in several threads) and not "just" recently. Also would be helpful if you posted the tweet URL for easier reading/understanding.

My Bad.. he posted this on Jan 2nd, 2020 at about 9:12 Pm.. so its been 5 days.. so "Just posted" would be no appropriate to use..

below is the link... green on Twitter

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
No I probably have on of the very last MCU-1's. I think I got within 125 VIN's of the MCU-2 in my car.

My voice commands still don't work with the Sentry mode turned on. I was complaining about that issue and was already asking for the FSD upgrade. Our Newer MCU-2 Tesla's are being upgraded now with the FSD computer, so maybe I was on the watch list

So the don't call us we will call you line was true. But now its going to cost me $2,500. I hope my system speeds up a lot.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: markn455
They just sent emails offering the upgrade for $2,500.00. I got one already.
I thought it was they will call you? I saw the Electrek article and surmised this was when they did the HW3 upgrade they would do the MCU at the same time.

Or is the email just telling you to stand by?

For me, love the fact I’ll have essentially a new car when I get the electronics all upgraded. (Don’t have a ton of miles on the X.)

I thought it was they will call you? I saw the Electrek article and surmised this was when they did the HW3 upgrade they would do the MCU at the same time.

Or is the email just telling you to stand by?

For me, love the fact I’ll have essentially a new car when I get the electronics all upgraded. (Don’t have a ton of miles on the X.)

I was at Tesla picking up one of our 3's that was just upgraded. They said they will contact me when we (2.5 computers Vin's) are posted. He said to schedule service for my other issues if I wanted to. My remark was from the FSD upgrade thread was pretty much: Don't call us we will call you.

The Email I received is same as what is being posted that they will contact me soon. Not one telling me to schedule now. I'll be back at Tesla on Thursday for another FSD upgrade. so I will discuss it again. which I would think we can get scheduled.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
I was at Tesla picking up one of our 3's that was just upgraded. They said they will contact me when we (2.5 computers Vin's) are posted. He said to schedule service for my other issues if I wanted to. My remark was from the FSD upgrade thread was pretty much: Don't call us we will call you.

The Email I received is same as what is being posted that they will contact me soon. Not one telling me to schedule now. I'll be back at Tesla on Thursday for another FSD upgrade. so I will discuss it again. which I would think we can get scheduled.
I think we’re in the same boat... MCU 1/AP2.5/FSD (doubt S or X. matters?)

Sounds like we are the first priority list for combo upgrades. Thanks for any info you dig out!

I finally found the email from Tesla, probably got it when you did. The way I read that, we are supposed to make an appointment, not wait for a call, if we want the MCU upgrade and then we get priority on the FSD (since we already paid for FSD) and they will do them at the same time.

If that’s not what’s going on, not sure why says what it does below.

As I suspected and thought I read somewhere, so much for the original ‘FSD boards come assigned to one car’. :D

Made an appt, first avail was two weeks, let’s see what happens.

——-

For clarity, here’s the text from my Tesla email. It clearly states make an appointment:

Schedule an appointment for purchase and installation using the Tesla app. Select 'Accessories' then ‘Upgrades & Installations’ from the Schedule Service menu and enter ‘Infotainment Upgrade’ in the description.
As an owner with Full Self-Driving configured, you'll also receive the complimentary new Full Self-Driving Computer during your installation.

Last edited:
HI mine is a april build 2017 MCu1, AP2 with FSD that I got in august of 2017. I figure im hoping to see the email end of march ( lets have a thread saying when each got thier email ) . But I can imagine the tysons SC is a tad busy. Im able to do work on the wiring to put the digital tuner in myself and might order it separately as a part ( is there I thread I missed on how todo that? Id be willing to try and be the only 2017 that is more like a 2018. I guess i'll spring for the $2500 MCU2 and the " complimentary" HW3 ( full FSD features are probably the biggest thing I would want e ven over a bigger battery at the moment). done at once and then if I get the digital radio I could have FM back ( that is useful in the DC area) , but i'll have to spend the hours they didnt want to spend in the SC todo that myself ( not a problem if it isnt crazy hard todo). the only thing is im worried if I do the radio my self will the new MCU2 see it SW wise? any one have experience with that part?. hope fully some one will do a youtube video ( isnt there o videos for every car?) on the retro fit . we can all have our cake ( FM) and eat it too ( for $2500).

HI mine is a april build 2017 MCu1, AP2 with FSD that I got in august of 2017. I figure im hoping to see the email end of march ( lets have a thread saying when each got thier email ) . But I can imagine the tysons SC is a tad busy. Im able to do work on the wiring to put the digital tuner in myself and might order it separately as a part ( is there I thread I missed on how todo that? Id be willing to try and be the only 2017 that is more like a 2018. I guess i'll spring for the $2500 MCU2 and the " complimentary" HW3 ( full FSD features are probably the biggest thing I would want e ven over a bigger battery at the moment). done at once and then if I get the digital radio I could have FM back ( that is useful in the DC area) , but i'll have to spend the hours they didnt want to spend in the SC todo that myself ( not a problem if it isnt crazy hard todo). the only thing is im worried if I do the radio my self will the new MCU2 see it SW wise? any one have experience with that part?. hope fully some one will do a youtube video ( isnt there o videos for every car?) on the retro fit . we can all have our cake ( FM) and eat it too ( for $2500).

Green helped someone replace the tuner in another car and said it took 2 hours and a couple of scraped up hands... hopefully, like @Krash said, Tesla will just keep the configuration the same without de-configuring the tuner on the retrofit vehicle. That way we won't have to beg Tesla to turn it back on for us.

The MCU1 tuner is not compatible with the MCU2 - because it uses an analog interface vs. the MCU2's digital interface.

When the infotainment upgrade e-mail arrives, I plan to schedule the infotainment/FSD computer upgrade AND request the MCU2 radio upgrade at the same time - and then see how the Service Center responds.

Without the radio, unlikely we'll go with the infotainment upgrade - because we listen to live news/sports most of the time - which isn't provided by Tesla's streaming apps.

• Informative
Reactions: cucubits
Will my 2013 P85 Model S be able to get the upgrade? I just had mine replaced due to the original one going black. They sold me a refurbished one (didn't tell me it was) and when I asked about upgrading, I got different answers of whether it was possible. The last answer was that it isn't possible. This MCU, like the original doesn't work very well as far as connecting WiFi or Bluetooth, or trying to surf the web. Also slow loading maps. I would love to get the new MCU. Thanks.

I took the plunge but not happy about it. I paid just under $120,000 for my MS and missed the MCU2 by the matter of just a few days. My MCU was obsolete before the car was delivered to its owner. I have put up with a poorly functioning or not functioning at all MCU. I have FSD and Tesla installed the new HW3 FSD computer free of charge. After that, the operability of the MCU went from terrible to essentially unusable. I took it in while still under warranty to get it fixed. All they did was clear the cache, reformatted something, which accomplished two things. It got me working, which lasted about three weeks and got me past the end of my mileage warranty. I took the car back again because I took it in while the warranty was still good, and they didn't fix it. Then they said if the screen has to be black and stay that way before they would replace it or replace the "daughterboard." The other issue is the MCU1 visualization, and possibly other functions related to FSD will not work unless I PURCHASED the upgrade to the MCU2, which makes many things work better and fixes other things. Oh, by the way, I lose AM/FM/SiriusXM radio to boot. WTF! Because the old MCU was robbing me of my joy, and every time I got out of the car, I was so pissed, and my blood pressure was through the roof because so many things were erratic beyond all measure. I went ahead and purchased the upgrade and glad I did. I have a car that functions the way it should of when I bought it. Oh and now they have found a way to give us FM Radio and SiriusXM back which is great. But wait, there's more, we have to pay another $500 to get the damn radio back they took away when we paid them $2,500 for the dam upgrade that should have been free to FSD people anyway. I am done venting about this but this is one where I feel like Tesla really screwed over its customers.