Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy Poll for Mono-Block Forged Alloy Wheels by Titan

What size what you prefer for Mono-Block Forged Wheels for the Model 3

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
are those the group buy price posted? $1950 for 18's and $2400 for 19's?
yes, it is size dependent. For comparison check out these that are $5500 for four. There are no fully forged aluminum 6061-T6 on the market for the Model 3, unless you go with the cheap "roller forged", "form forged" Walmart knock offs which are not forged. More details on why 6061-T6 is best for a Tesla
Aftermarket Wheels - What are you getting?

Features:
- TITAN 7 Forged wheels carry a Limited Lifetime Structural warranty and a 1 year warranty for factory applied surface finishes and wheel accessories.
- All Titan 7 Wheels are Fully Forged 6061-T6
- Load Rated especially for the high torque the Tesla Model 3 generates
- Hub Bore Specific for the Tesla Model 3
- Center Caps are included
- Aluminum valve stem is included.
- All wheels are durability tested according to DOT / SAE and JWL / VIA standards to ensure safety while you perform.

Weight Savings:

Titan 7 T-R10 Wheel
19x8.5 / +40 Wheel Weight: 20.2lbs

Stock Wheels
18X8.5 +40 Weight: 21.6 lbs (Without Aero Cover), 23 lbs (With Aero Cover)
19x8.5 +40 Weight: 25.0 lbs
20x8.5 +35 Weight: 30-32 lbs (Speculated)

Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 9.19.07 PM.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I'm on the fence with this. It is an intriguing product but not sure I can justify the cost from a new manufacturer. Keep in mind that as buyers from a company that is just entering an extremely competitive market there is a chance we are going to get wheels and then if we need a replacement rim down the road a ways there won't be a manufacturer to supply one, do a warranty repair, etc.

For comparison I can get a set of four flow-forged 19" rims from Savini & others at about $1950, with a tire package and TPMS sensors already installed as an option for simplicity.

I'm just trying to feel it on these wheels, I know they use a superior manufacturing process and are a little lighter but not sure it's worth it to me.

I origininally wanted to get the 18" by 8.5" TS-5 wheels but ended up ordering the 19" by 9" wheels. CY at Evasive mentioned on the phone yesterday that was only one deposit on the 18" wheels so far and eight are required to start the order. The 19" are already in production and will be arriving in January or February.

I origininally wanted to get the 18" by 8.5" TS-5 wheels but ended up ordering the 19" by 9" wheels. CY at Evasive mentioned on the phone yesterday that was only one deposit on the 18" wheels so far and eight are required to start the order. The 19" are already in production and will be arriving in January or February.

That is strange. I got an email a couple days ago that they received enough ordered of the 18x8.5 TS-5 and were sent to production. That was first run. Maybe they are starting a second. First batch was 6. It was lowered as well.

Group Buy Poll for Mono-Block Forged Alloy Wheels by Titan 7 Different thread. Maybe they are starting a new batch.

Can you explain reputation to back up price. Isn't the price the price?

Sure. I feel more comfortable paying $600/wheel to a company with experience, better selection, and reputation for quality versus a mostly unknown (to me at least) company. I'm definitely not looking for cheap $100/wheel option, but hoped to see these come in at a lower price point.

Yes, I took a gamble with buying a Tesla since they don't meet the above criteria, but they are currently the sole company that makes a car that satisfied what I wanted. And, despite already having a failed front drive unit, I'm still happy with my purchase.

Still haven't 100% ruled these out. Just not jumping on them right away, especially since there isn't an available option to lower our AWD cars yet.

RE: Lowering kit

Mountain Pass Performance, Unplugged Performance and EVAnnex (to name those few) have lowering kits for the 3.

Titan-7 wheels does not have the tradition, however the founder/owner has experience in the wheel industry. I think the "pedigree" has been posted somewhere here or over at (shudder :) )bimmer forum. 20 years at Mackin industries

Personally, 2k *forged* and lightweight pricepoint could not be beat. Yeah there are others around these cost but you will see Flow formed...

Sure. I feel more comfortable paying $600/wheel to a company with experience, better selection, and reputation for quality versus a mostly unknown (to me at least) company. I'm definitely not looking for cheap $100/wheel option, but hoped to see these come in at a lower price point.

Yes, I took a gamble with buying a Tesla since they don't meet the above criteria, but they are currently the sole company that makes a car that satisfied what I wanted. And, despite already having a failed front drive unit, I'm still happy with my purchase.

Still haven't 100% ruled these out. Just not jumping on them right away, especially since there isn't an available option to lower our AWD cars yet.
@Blu Angel wrote this buried in this thread somewhere

Titan Wheels History

I was chatting with Steve at EAS, and he mentioned there was a new forged rim coming to market soon that might be worth a look. He said the company was new, but the founder had worked in the wheel industry for a long time. It was called Titan 7. I looked into them a bit, and thought the wheels were attractive, but they weren't shipping yet, so I didn't put much effort into it.

Then in January, I was at Chuckwalla doing a Bimmer Challenge, and Titan 7 had a booth. So, I wandered over to say hi and ask a few questions. Eddie Lee, who is the founder, was in the booth and we ended up chatting for 45 minutes. He's a very nice guy who has a lot of industry experience and he patiently answered all my dumb questions. After that conversation, I was interested in the wheels. The T-R10 seemed to meet all the criteria in my list:

-They are claimed to be very strong due to a 10,000 ton press being used to shape the aluminum.
-This 10,000 ton pressing process also results in the rims being quite stiff and resistant to deflection under high-G loads.
-They are lighter than the ARC-8's. ARC-8 - 20.5 lbs versus T-R10 - 19.5 lbs (The T-S5 style is 18.8 lbs.)

Other notes of interest for me:

-Eddie had a 20 year run with Mackin Industries. (Mackin imports Rays Engineering, Yokohama wheels, etc.) While he was there, he developed wheel programs for BMW factory race cars and other pro teams which is a pretty demanding world. He's worked on creating private labels. He's been on-site at many production plants in Asia. Basically, he has dealt with wheels his whole career. In fact, his journey in his business reminds me of my journey in my music business. We both worked for other corporations for a long time, gained a bunch of knowledge from all the time in the trenches, and we both figured out how to build a small business around the knowledge we gained over the years. When someone comes up through the ranks like that, they have seen a business from all sides. That's how it worked for me, and Titan 7 seems to be the result of similar experiences. That's appealing to me.

-I asked about production. Due to the small size of the company, I was worried that maybe T7 was piggybacking off some other larger production runs and just slapping their logo on something. Nope. The answer was interesting. He made a relationship with an industrial manufacturer that had not been making consumer products but wanted to. They had some impressive machinery like 10,000 ton presses. He has setup all the business logistics with this manufacturer from scratch. This is not a generic run-of-the-mill piggyback wheel that's the same as everyone else with a different logo slapped on it.

-Regarding the 10,000 ton press and general forging - My knowledge on forged rims was lacking. So, I asked a bunch of questions. I don't want to dwell on what a forged rim is because there's lots of great info out there, but I'll touch on a couple things. Forged wheels are desirable because you start with a solid cylinder of aluminum, heat it up and then you press it into an initial shape with powerful presses. The more pressure you use when you press it, the denser/stronger the rim material gets. (They say the "grain structure" of the metal is improved.) According to Eddie, most forged rims are made with 6,000 and 8,000 ton presses. 10,000 ton presses are more rare. (He said only one other wheel maker is using a 10,000 ton press.) And with a forged rim, there's no potential for microscopic porosity, which is air trapped in the metal. Cast wheels start as molten aluminum and the molten metal is poured into a shape. When you start with a liquid and pour it into a shape, the possibility of getting air trapped in the metal exists, which is not ideal for overall strength. And you don't get the benefit of the pressure from the press. (You compensate by putting more metal into the wheel, i.e. the wheel is heavier.) Flow Formed wheels (like Apex) which use spinning during the casting process produce better results. But the strength and stiffness per pound just isn't the same as a forged wheel. So, porosity is just not an issue with forged rims, and having a denser and more consistent rim material allows you to make a light wheel because you can use less material, but it's still very strong and stiff. Ok, enough about forging....I'm not the expert on this topic.

-Between the two wheels offered by Titan 7, there is a weight difference. In the 10.5" size: T-S5 18.8 lbs vs. T-R10 19.5 lbs. I asked Eddie about this. He said both wheels are built to be very strong. But they decided to beef up the T-R10 a bit more. According to him, the T-R10 is the stronger of the two. And I guess that's not really a surprise. It is 10 spokes coming straight off the hub, versus the T-S5 with 5 spokes, and the T-R10 is heavier so there's more material to work with. He was very clear that both were built like "tanks", but that the T-R10 was a bit of a beefier tank. For me, looks was bottom of the list on importance. The TS-5 is a sexy wheel, but I was totally fine with the radial look of the T-R10. And while weight is a consideration, strength was much more important, so if the T-R10 is stronger due to the additional 0.7 lbs, I'm fine with that. It's still a full pound lighter per wheel than the what I had.

-I like the ET25 offset. On Apex, I had ET27 with a 3mm spacer. Now, after test-fitting, I've seen I can run most tracks without a spacer. The clearance to the spring perch is totally fine. The other consideration I have to deal with is my supercharger intake. Buttonwillow's Off-Ramp corner is brutal when you have tight tolerances. The corner is very tight, slow, and uphill......it's just nasty. The tire just jams up into that wheel-well with the steering wheel turned hard. I may run the spacer at Buttonwillow to help preserve the intake and now I'll be even further away. And I appear to have the room on the outside. So, yeah the ET25 offset is nice for my purposes.

-Along the way, I've learned new terms such as "camber stiffness" which has to do with how a wheel deals with deflection and deformation under high G's. He claims that the T7 wheels resist high-G loads extremely well. This makes for a more consistent driving experience.

-Their wheels have been run in 24 hour races and were fine.

-Knurled bead - I was happy to see that feature. It's a nice touch to try to reduce tires creeping around the rim (yes Hoosier I'm talking to you!).

-The wheels come with wheel stems. Cool. No one told me. I bought stems for the new wheels, and now I...uhh....have extra stems. hehe

So, with the wheel change complete, I have refreshed the entire rotating package of the car---wheels, hubs, studs, lug bolts, the Essex brakes/hats/rotors are very new (8 days on the fronts, 3 days on the rear), so I'm hoping that the car is good-to-go for awhile. I am quite eager to go out and see what everything feels like! And I'm quite happy with how the wheels look!----even though I said it wasn't high on my list.....
biggrin.gif

PS. It's important for me to reiterate that I didn't leave the Apex brand due to any specific unhappiness. I just finally made a decision that I should drive a higher spec wheel because the car is experiencing very high forces now (as the cracked hub so wonderfully illustrated). I would happily recommend Apex wheels to anyone looking for Flow Formed wheels. They are a very nice company to deal with. (I have a square set of 9.5" ARC-8's that I'm keeping for my E92 M3 street car, you know, just in case I take that baby to the track!)

That is strange. I got an email a couple days ago that they received enough ordered of the 18x8.5 TS-5 and were sent to production. That was first run. Maybe they are starting a second. First batch was 6. It was lowered as well.

Group Buy Poll for Mono-Block Forged Alloy Wheels by Titan 7 Different thread. Maybe they are starting a new batch.

It appears there is conflicting information. Can anyone clarify whether the 18” wheels with +39 offset listed on Evasive’s website are going into production? I ordered the 19” because CY told me they only have one order for that configuration as of Friday.

@Blu Angel wrote this buried in this thread somewhere

@Xenoilphobe, Thank for remembering
I believe knowledge allows one to make fully informed decisions.
I love to share with the Tesla community.

BTW, my comfort coilovers are shipping from Mountain Performance Parts.
These beauties will lower my Tesla 3 stance and give me the look I'm after!

Titan 7's with Michelin Pilot Sports in Spring 2019 will complete the look