Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy Poll for Mono-Block Forged Alloy Wheels by Titan

What size what you prefer for Mono-Block Forged Wheels for the Model 3

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Xenoilphobe

Jan 2, 2014
DC Swamp
TMCer's
I have been in dialog with Titan 7 Forged Wheels on a product made just for the Model 3 and would like to do a poll to gauge interest. I don't work for them and don't get any benefit, besides getting a high quality mono-block forged wheel at a reasonable price made specifically for the Model 3.

For those who are not familiar with mono-block forged wheels they provide SIGNIFICANT benefits to EV owners by
reducing unsprung weigh, improved performance in all areas including acceleration, braking, cornering, less strain on drivetrain, there will be improved miles per charge. It’s already been tested (by Titan for special project for an unnamed customer). Additionally Mono-block forged wheels are stronger per pound than any other manufacturing technology at this price point. The only product stronger per pound is carbon fiber, but those are currently 7 X the price of these wheels and considered a bespoke product at this point.

For the next 90 days I will keep the poll open, after that it will be shared with the manufacturer who is California- based to begin a production run that will be completed 60 days later. (based on the outcome of this poll) You can pick two options in the pol - I did this so you could write in the wheel you are interested in, if I didn't include it in the poll.

Retail price would be ~ $2400 for four and the weight would be ~ 20lbs per wheel in stock Model 3 size of 19 X 8.5 +40 ET. with 64.1 center bore with an ET 40 (same specs as the stock 19 inch wheel). The poll will determine which size I provide to Eddie Lee - the GM for Titan Wheels.

Color will be Satin Titanium color with machined inner spoke details "Forged" - see video below.

This wheel will provide a very significant improvement in performance at a much better value than what is offered from the factory. These wheels also come with limited lifetime structural warranty on the wheel as well. (Tesla stock wheels are flow cast, heavy and do not come with any structural warranty - ask us old Model S owners who had the stock 21's)

Titan also shared that the are making a forged mono-block wheel that also addresses aero dynamic drag and have seen excellent range increase results with the lower weight, aerodynamic wheel. (see picture of the aero wheel below)

Forged_v6.jpg

Forged Process ›

All Titan 7 Wheels are Fully Forged. The wheel starts out as an aircraft grade solid cylinder of 6061 Aluminum. We pressurize the cylinder with an industry leading 10,000 tons of pressure to give the wheel its basic shape while improving the grain structure and overall properties of the high grade aluminum. Absolutely no porosity and a densely organized microstructure to allow for amazing designs, weight, and strength.

Screen Shot 2018-08-06 at 8.30.11 PM.png

I just voted for the 18 inch, my dream other option would be the same in carbon fiber for ~ $1500 per wheel and under 10 lbs.

That'd be a huge cost, but honestly in the 60-80K range, another $6K for 2-3 tenths 0-60 it could be a reasonable deal considering the level of benefits at that level of performance. It should make a huge diff for quarter mile, as that is where the 3P seems to finally be power limited.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
TMCer's
I have been in dialog with Titan 7 Forged Wheels on a product made just for the Model 3 and would like to do a poll to gauge interest. I don't work for them and don't get any benefit, besides getting a high quality mono-block forged wheel at a reasonable price made specifically for the Model 3.

For those who are not familiar with mono-block forged wheels they provide SIGNIFICANT benefits to EV owners by
reducing unsprung weigh, improved performance in all areas including acceleration, braking, cornering, less strain on drivetrain, there will be improved miles per charge. It’s already been tested (by Titan for special project for an unnamed customer). Additionally Mono-block forged wheels are stronger per pound than any other manufacturing technology at this price point. The only product stronger per pound is carbon fiber, but those are currently 7 X the price of these wheels and considered a bespoke product at this point.

For the next 90 days I will keep the poll open, after that it will be shared with the manufacturer who is California- based to begin a production run that will be completed 60 days later. (based on the outcome of this poll) You can pick two options in the pol - I did this so you could write in the wheel you are interested in, if I didn't include it in the poll.

Retail price would be ~ $2400 for four and the weight would be ~ 20lbs per wheel in stock Model 3 size of 19 X 8.5 +40 ET. with 64.1 center bore with an ET 40 (same specs as the stock 19 inch wheel). The poll will determine which size I provide to Eddie Lee - the GM for Titan Wheels.

Color will be Satin Titanium color with machined inner spoke details "Forged" - see video below.

This wheel will provide a very significant improvement in performance at a much better value than what is offered from the factory. These wheels also come with limited lifetime structural warranty on the wheel as well. (Tesla stock wheels are flow cast, heavy and do not come with any structural warranty - ask us old Model S owners who had the stock 21's)

Titan also shared that the are making a forged mono-block wheel that also addresses aero dynamic drag and have seen excellent range increase results with the lower weight, aerodynamic wheel. (see picture of the aero wheel below)

Forged_v6.jpg

Forged Process ›

All Titan 7 Wheels are Fully Forged. The wheel starts out as an aircraft grade solid cylinder of 6061 Aluminum. We pressurize the cylinder with an industry leading 10,000 tons of pressure to give the wheel its basic shape while improving the grain structure and overall properties of the high grade aluminum. Absolutely no porosity and a densely organized microstructure to allow for amazing designs, weight, and strength.

View attachment 323551

Is there no interest in a wider wheel? I feel the 8.5’s are a bit slim.

Well done! :cool:

TMCer's

Forged_v6.jpg

Forged Process ›

View attachment 323551

Glad I found this thread because I saw another thread about T-S5s and almost pulled the trigger for a set.

If Model 3-specific versions are a genuine possibility then I’m happy to commit to buy those instead.

The current Titan 7 wheel designs already have a nice groove for large brake calipers. It would be great if they could somehow engineer 18s to accommodate the larger calipers of the Performance+ upgrade.

• Informative
@Clubhops10 and @Promo714 @chickensworth
Anything is possible with money, time and patience. I will keep an eye on the requests for staggered. Realize this will significantly reduce tire life due to the inability to fully rotate the tires and could also impact production times due to two separate production runs being done. We could also play with the ET's to get the desired offsets needed for the staggered look.

How do we feel these compare to the Ambit FC20 and FC10s which are about half the price? I was looking at these and they offer the 20 inch for $1059 for a set of 4 shipped. I am definitely interested, but honestly not as informed about the differences... just been paying attention largely to the weight.

FC10: FC10 Roto-Forged
FC20: FC20 Roto-Forged

These wheels are not made in the USA and are standard - gravity cast aluminum, same as the OEM wheels that come stock. They also claim that they have a VIA / JWL Certification. They are not, their QC equipment is certified, but their wheel has not been tested or approved none of the AMBIT wheels are present in the JWL database. These might be OK on a light underpowered car like a Miata, but there is no may I would but these on a performance AWD Tesla Model 3.

Doss (maker of Roto-Forged) is manufactured using Flow Form Technology, which is a better than OEM, but not Fully Forged.

Best = Mono-Block forged Aluminum 6061- All Titan 7 Wheels are Fully Forged. The wheel starts out as an aircraft grade solid cylinder of 6061 Aluminum. We pressurize the cylinder with an industry leading 10,000 tons of pressure to give the wheel its basic shape while improving the grain structure and overall properties of the high grade aluminum. Absolutely no porosity and a densely organized microstructure to allow for amazing designs, weight, and strength.

Better = Aluminum 356, Flow Formed Process, roto-forged, rotary forged, etc is a method of flow forming is popular today due to the increased density of the wheel rim that is spun forged like a vase. The issue is that a flow formed wheel starts out as a casting with a casting grade aluminum (A356). There is still potential for porosity, but it is a definite improvement over a completely casted wheel.

Good = Most wheels in the world are manufactured using this method. Molten aluminum (A356) is poured into a mold to create the complete wheel shape. It’s the cheapest method to make wheels and its pretty adequate for the street as long as it is made well. However, when it comes to performance / track settings the potential porosity of the wheel, especially on lower end cast wheels may cause cracks which is dangerous. Imagine pouring pancake batter into a bowl, you see air bubbles form.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JeffC