Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy: Rim Protectors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went down this morning to find the protector loose and curling upwards at the end of the last wheel I put it on.

This is really really stupid. Why the hell would the manufacturer do something so dumb as to wind the protector strips the wrong way? I'm no expert, but even I knew something like this was going to happen. For it to happen on the final wheel (where the inner-most part of the protector strip spool is used, with the tightest winding radius) is just so obvious. Sometimes, these china manufacturers piss me off so much - they go 95% of the way towards an amazing product and then do something really dumb to screw up the last 5%.

To be clear, the issue is as I said last night:

The manufacturer wound the protectors the wrong way. I know red-tape outwards looks the best, and may be easiest to wind, but it is the opposite to how it goes on the rims, and the plastic has a memory effect to make it try to pull off the rim. It makes it much harder to apply.

The protector strip didn't have a chance to adhere properly, because the memory affect of the incorrect winding literally pulled it off the wheel while I slept.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the protector that came off on the highway for the two users that told me was also the last wheel to be put on (where the radius is the smallest and memory effect the greatest).

I guess the workaround is to re-wind the protectors the correct way, and then leave it a few days (perhaps in some heated area) to reverse the memory effect. But, that is pretty crazy to have to do.

Anyway, my verdict on the LF ones is NO. Not a good design.

The question is are the Kabis ones we are talking about any better? For a start - are they wound the correct (adhesive strip innermost, just like they would go on the rim) way? Or, perhaps is the material softer so this would not be an issue?

I remember my Kabis also wound this way, like in this photo:
Kabis.jpg

You mentioned the memory effect of the incorrect winding, now I understand why some sellers on Taobao says install with lighter/heat gun will help (but they didn't say why). Maybe you can try a hair dryer?

About painted wheels, they mentioned wheels painted in matt finish has problems, not ours.

More about my case, I installed on Aug 2 and I drove around 5 hours after installation. I drove fast with other friends in my car and it rained heavily on the way home. But they didn't came off.

Hi capt666, I'm confirmed for 1 set of red and 1 set of black (backup and in case the red doesn't look good). Thanks for organizing, I should be picking up my MS first week of Sept so I look forward to meeting you guys soon!

Once you know the price, let me know and I can transfer ASAP.

Black:
waidy: 3
lx3h: 1
markwj: 3
AppleFan: 1
ditb: 3
sonnywong: 1
Rotorbow: 2
sansei: 1
alexcsy123: 2
Lerxt:1
EV+: 1
EVC: 1

Red:
EVC: 1
markwj: 1

Blue

kllychan: 1

I have ordered them, and they said they will just ship directly from Korea. ( so we know they are not Chinese knock offs):)

I think it is going to be around 180 HKD each including shipping from Korea.

The "export" packaging looks like this
rim protector.jpg

Capt666 - thanks for handling this. Let me know if you want us to front-up money, or how to deliver and pay. As I said before, I am happy to pay for this, and handle distribution if you can get them into HK.

Regarding those LF brand, and my car, the other three wheels are ok. It was just the last wheel that had the issue. The bond strength on the other 3 looks good. Rainy day tomorrow, so we will see.

Hi Capt666, it looks like I just missed your order cutoff. Can you provide me the supplier info so I can order directly from them? I will hold off the ordering for a few days and see if there are additional owners might be interested pooling the order with me. Thanks.