Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy: Suma Convex Side Mirrors WITHOUT Blue Tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good stuff. I still haven’t gotten around to installing mine yet. Can’t wait to try them out at night.

BTW your reflection reminds me of Walter White from Breaking Bad.
haha that's a good show. Speaking of Walter White, our Walter White (chemists) in Suma Performance are cooking something in the basement that you folks might be interested. But that's for another thread at a different time, hopefully to announce it in March :)

Well, I installed them. I already had small spot mirrors which offered a much wider viewing angle. Removing the OEM mirrors was as simple as tilting them in so you can get some fingers behind it and ripping them off. Pull to release the two connectors and then use something to release the tab of the other connector that isn't used.

After looking back and forth at the before and after pictures I see a difference but it's barely a difference. The mirrors seem to be very high quality and have a clear view. With my 20% window tint, I might enjoy non auto-dimming mirrors even more than the OEM ones. These mirrors definitely offer a better view but they are nowhere close to the little spot mirrors I had. Even with the driver side mirror extended out as far as it will go I can still see my driver's door in front of the handle. My seat is pretty much all the way down and all the way back so the viewing angle is probably better for most. I only noticed a very slight improvement from just sitting in the garage. If I don't end up loving them after driving in the next few days, I'll be willing to sell them for cost IP in LA.
20200124_214528.jpg
20200124_214603.jpg
20200124_214924.jpg
20200124_215631.jpg
20200124_214950.jpg
20200124_215723.jpg
20200124_220032.jpg
20200124_220451.jpg

I just got mine and installed them. Unfortunately, I cracked my right OEM one trying to take it off... I was pulling from the outside where the mirror is the smallest. I think the plastic backing is weaker there so I would advise others to try pulling from the larger side (inside) or from the top instead.

Overall I am happy with them and how much more I can see vs the OEM ones
77AE4B21-90E8-4149-9451-D59D56510EDA.jpeg

Reactions: SumaPerformance
After looking back and forth at the before and after pictures I see a difference but it's barely a difference.

I hear you. I have the same experience. The field of view is of course wider, but most of it is toward the inside. I've always had my driver-side mirror adjusted all the way out. It wasn't enough with the flat mirror, and it still isn't enough with the convex mirror. But I can sure see the side of my car much better. :sigh: No amount of swinging the glass outboard will make this better, because I'm already seeing the inside of the mirror shell. The whole shroud needs to be pointed more away from the car... or a shim behind the glass? No idea.

Anyway... if anybody is considering selling their clear convex mirrors, I may be interested. I have the tinted ones, and I'm finding too many times when there is just not enough contrast in the rear view to be confident about what's back there. I have tinted side windows, and I wear dark, polarized glasses during the day.... so I'm thinking that the tinted side mirrors was over-kill in the "glare reduction" department.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I hear you. I have the same experience. The field of view is of course wider, but most of it is toward the inside. I've always had my driver-side mirror adjusted all the way out. It wasn't enough with the flat mirror, and it still isn't enough with the convex mirror. But I can sure see the side of my car much better. :sigh: No amount of swinging the glass outboard will make this better, because I'm already seeing the inside of the mirror shell. The whole shroud needs to be pointed more away from the car... or a shim behind the glass? No idea.

Anyway... if anybody is considering selling their clear convex mirrors, I may be interested. I have the tinted ones, and I'm finding too many times when there is just not enough contrast in the rear view to be confident about what's back there. I have tinted side windows, and I wear dark, polarized glasses during the day.... so I'm thinking that the tinted side mirrors was over-kill in the "glare reduction" department.

I installed mine too and I agree the driver side design is flawed. It shows too much of the side of car!

Installed mine today. Make sure the defroster cables run along the outside of the ring and not across like how its shipped.

mine installed just fine w/defroster wires run across like it was shipped?
there was plenty clearance tween mirror clips and mount for install.

I'm 6'3" and am able to position convex mirror to just show rear
fender, which provides a HUGE field of vision over OEM mirrors!

I really appreciate the clear bright non blue field of vision too!

Reactions: SumaPerformance

Thanks for this review and saved me some money. Since I already maxed outwards on my OEM with this I wanted bit more outside and nothing on the inside. I don't like seeing my cars butt while driving because my butt knows where cars butt is ;)

Thanks for this review and saved me some money. Since I already maxed outwards on my OEM with this I wanted bit more outside and nothing on the inside. I don't like seeing my cars butt while driving because my butt knows where cars butt is ;)
You're welcome. sigh.

Because so many people adjust their mirrors specifically to see a bit of their own car, it seems that only a few of us are troubled by the fact that the mirrors don't swing out far enough to be useful in the side view. It is one of my biggest beefs with the car. First car I've had in a long time that truly has a blind spot for a lane change to the left.... and this convex mirror does not fix it.

it seems that only a few of us are troubled by the fact that the mirrors don't swing out far enough to be useful in the side view. First car I've had in a long time that truly has a blind spot for a lane change to the left.... and this convex mirror does not fix it.
Have you tried moving the mirror up and down too? Doing so allows more left/right clearance due to the internal surfaces. On my 2019 Model 3, I have no problem adjusting the wing mirrors to JUST about show the side of the car. Moving your seat back (and up?) can help too.

Finally, for maximum mirror tilt, I've seen how bending the mirror's internal two metal flat contacts of the heating element can help too, at least for the Model S IIRC.

Last edited:
Reactions: android04
Have you tried moving the mirror up and down too? Doing so allows more left/right clearance due to the internal surfaces. On my 2019 Model 3, I have no problem adjusting the wing mirrors to JUST about show the side of the car. Moving your seat back (and up?) can help too.
I agree that I have no issues with swinging my mirrors out enough to not see any of my car. Perhaps those that have issues are taller and have their seat too far back to get the same range. Or they may have left the disconnected dimmer wires in the way of the mirror and it blocks some of the range of motion.

Reactions: dspwhite