Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy: Suma Convex Side Mirrors WITHOUT Blue Tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my shipping notice! looking forward to it. I'll buy another pair once you add in dimming.. if I can't source Tesla Euro mirrors before then. I've been driving vehicles with Euro mirrors more than the Tesla lately, so it'll be an (annoying) shock to have to go back to the bad mirrors.. maybe I can make my wife drive it until the Sumas arrive in a few days :D

I've spent quite a bit of time hassling with euro mirrors for my X5. Bought a driver's side off eBay, waited too long to notice that the dimming didn't work. Found another company that sells reproductions, I think for the auto body market, Spieg Parts. It was a bit pricier than a used one, $150, but I figured a small price to pay for one that works perfectly. Well, it dims and heats, but it had really bad double vision in certain parts of the mirror. They sent me a replacement, same problem. Returned for refund. Went back to eBay, sourced a pair of OE BMW mirrors from Latvia for $150ish used, it seems clear that the OE product has much better optical clarity. They work really well, although I'm not convinced the passenger side is dimming... that's a chore for today, to test it out in a controlled environment .. and maybe another return/replacement. *sigh* (the mirrors are $400 each new if you can source them). You can get OE Tesla mirrors -- the body AND glass -- for that price from Europe. I'm just waiting till we can source the glass separately... :)

But for now, I'll be happy to have proper convex mirrors from Suma. To be honest, you don't need dimming on convex mirrors, the only reason it bugs me on the X5 is if one dims and the other doesn't, sets off my OCD :) And the fact that these aren't dimming means they're less likely to have optical clarity problems, I believe.

• Funny
Reactions: hydro 481
Just got my shipping notice! looking forward to it. I'll buy another pair once you add in dimming.. if I can't source Tesla Euro mirrors before then. I've been driving vehicles with Euro mirrors more than the Tesla lately, so it'll be an (annoying) shock to have to go back to the bad mirrors.. maybe I can make my wife drive it until the Sumas arrive in a few days :D

I've spent quite a bit of time hassling with euro mirrors for my X5. Bought a driver's side off eBay, waited too long to notice that the dimming didn't work. Found another company that sells reproductions, I think for the auto body market, Spieg Parts. It was a bit pricier than a used one, $150, but I figured a small price to pay for one that works perfectly. Well, it dims and heats, but it had really bad double vision in certain parts of the mirror. They sent me a replacement, same problem. Returned for refund. Went back to eBay, sourced a pair of OE BMW mirrors from Latvia for $150ish used, it seems clear that the OE product has much better optical clarity. They work really well, although I'm not convinced the passenger side is dimming... that's a chore for today, to test it out in a controlled environment .. and maybe another return/replacement. *sigh* (the mirrors are $400 each new if you can source them). You can get OE Tesla mirrors -- the body AND glass -- for that price from Europe. I'm just waiting till we can source the glass separately... :)

But for now, I'll be happy to have proper convex mirrors from Suma. To be honest, you don't need dimming on convex mirrors, the only reason it bugs me on the X5 is if one dims and the other doesn't, sets off my OCD :) And the fact that these aren't dimming means they're less likely to have optical clarity problems, I believe.
Poor optical quality (e.g. double vision) that is the problem with some after market mirrors, using inferior industrial glasses rather than premium optical glasses like us.

We'll ship out the rest of the pre-orders within the next few days.

Poor optical quality (e.g. double vision) that is the problem with some after market mirrors, using inferior industrial glasses rather than premium optical glasses like us.

Interesting. I thought maybe it was related to the dimming function -- eg, I was seeing one image from the dimming layer and one from the 'normal' reflective layer.

I’m in Cali so I’m a lot closer :p Fortunately for you I’m also a big-time procrastinator so you still have a chance lol

Ha, shipped from Bellevue. I used to live there.

Well, mine are out for delivery, so I'll probably get 'em slapped on tonight. Probably too lazy to post pictures; it'll be dark anyway... :)

• Funny
Reactions: hydro 481
Interesting. I thought maybe it was related to the dimming function -- eg, I was seeing one image from the dimming layer and one from the 'normal' reflective layer.

Ha, shipped from Bellevue. I used to live there.

Well, mine are out for delivery, so I'll probably get 'em slapped on tonight. Probably too lazy to post pictures; it'll be dark anyway... :)
I also got delivery notice earlier this morning. Won’t get home till late tonight though so I probably won’t be installing them today :(

Just got my mirrors tonight, installed them, took a quick spin around the block. Massive, massive improvement over factory.

I'd give them a solid 4/5 stars. Better than anything else out there, vastly better than the factory mirrors, they eliminate the colossal blind spots the car comes with. I can't do the blue mirrors, they look way too ricey for me. I got a bit more of a bright reflection at night than I expected, but it's the tradeoff I wanted vs the blue. Convex mirrors aren't as 'bright' at night, overall, as a flat mirror, due to the curvature.

Negatives: No dimming (duh!). They'd be more expensive if they dimmed, though. You'd be lucky to get 1 for this price of a dimming mirror. (as mentioned earlier, my Spieg reproduction mirrors for my X5, that I had to send back due to poor image quality, were $150 each). Build quality of these is not OE; they're quite a bit lighter and feel like mostly plastic, though apparently the surface is glass. I got a little bit of image doubling on one area of the driver's side mirror but it's not nearly as bad as on my X5, and once I saw it, I had a hard time getting it to happen again.

First outdoor image is in my driveway after install. Sorry, I had my window up in this one. This is basically the view from where I sit. I didn't use optical zoom because I want to replicate my view as closely as possible. I can see part of the side of the car, which I'm not used to, even with convex mirrors on other cars, again, because Tesla makes this car in such a way that the mirror won't adjust far enough left. This is as far left as it goes. But with the convex it doesn't really matter; you can see all you want to see. It is a nice side effect to be able to see behind you as well, although of course it means you get those lights at night too, whereas normally you only get the lights of the car in the lane next to you if you adjust your mirrors properly. HUGE amount of mirror housing visible thanks to the Tesla design, but not much housing at all in the reflection.

The last picture is the killer shot, sorry for the crappy night snap, but I've gotta start making dinner, it's getting late.

Look at the minivan next to me. You can see the headlight out my side window. You can see the taillight in my side mirror. Perfection. Not only does this eliminate the massive B pillar blind spot, you don't even have to shoulder check! (NOT RECOMMENDED, just saying!) If this same shot was taken with the factory mirrors you'd probably see nothing more than the green road sign and the lit up palm trees in the middle of the image. No traffic light, no headlights behind me.

Thanks Suma!
IMG_6962D.jpeg
IMG_6963D.jpeg
IMG_6971.jpeg
IMG_6968.jpeg

Last edited:
Just got my mirrors tonight, installed them, took a quick spin around the block. Massive, massive improvement over factory.

I'd give them a solid 4/5 stars. Better than anything else out there, vastly better than the factory mirrors, they eliminate the colossal blind spots the car comes with. I can't do the blue mirrors, they look way too ricey for me. I got a bit more of a bright reflection at night than I expected, but it's the tradeoff I wanted vs the blue. Convex mirrors aren't as 'bright' at night, overall, as a flat mirror, due to the curvature.

Negatives: No dimming (duh!). They'd be more expensive if they dimmed, though. You'd be lucky to get 1 for this price of a dimming mirror. (as mentioned earlier, my Spieg reproduction mirrors for my X5, that I had to send back due to poor image quality, were $150 each). Build quality of these is not OE; they're quite a bit lighter and feel like mostly plastic, though apparently the surface is glass. I got a little bit of image doubling on one area of the driver's side mirror but it's not nearly as bad as on my X5, and once I saw it, I had a hard time getting it to happen again.

First outdoor image is in my driveway after install. Sorry, I had my window up in this one. This is basically the view from where I sit. I didn't use optical zoom because I want to replicate my view as closely as possible. I can see part of the side of the car, which I'm not used to, even with convex mirrors on other cars, again, because Tesla makes this car in such a way that the mirror won't adjust far enough left. This is as far left as it goes. But with the convex it doesn't really matter; you can see all you want to see. It is a nice side effect to be able to see behind you as well, although of course it means you get those lights at night too, whereas normally you only get the lights of the car in the lane next to you if you adjust your mirrors properly. HUGE amount of mirror housing visible thanks to the Tesla design, but not much housing at all in the reflection.

The last picture is the killer shot, sorry for the crappy night snap, but I've gotta start making dinner, it's getting late.

Look at the minivan next to me. You can see the headlight out my side window. You can see the taillight in my side mirror. Perfection. Not only does this eliminate the massive B pillar blind spot, you don't even have to shoulder check! (NOT RECOMMENDED, just saying!) If this same shot was taken with the factory mirrors you'd probably see nothing more than the green road sign and the lit up palm trees in the middle of the image. No traffic light, no headlights behind me.

Thanks Suma!
View attachment 503689 View attachment 503688 View attachment 503686 View attachment 503687
Good stuff. I still haven’t gotten around to installing mine yet. Can’t wait to try them out at night.

BTW your reflection reminds me of Walter White from Breaking Bad.