Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Discount on Paint Protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mikevbf

Feb 11, 2012
vermont
It looks like I will get my Tesla Model X by end of the week. I imagine a lot of new englanders in the Boston are taking delivery of an S or X in the last 2 weeks of September and are looking for paint protection. It's not cheap to get a good job done. Anyone want to band together to see if we could get a group discount at one of the more reputable shops in the Boston area?

I dropped my Model X off with Rick at Unique Car Care in Andover, Ma today for full front with Expel and the rest with a couple coats of Ceramic Pro, and shiny back seats with Matte Expel. Rick is super nice to work with providing many price points and explaining the value of each option while never being pushy. I will tell you what I think when I get my vehicle back.

You get what you pay for on any labor intensive work like paint correction or paint protection. So, the good shops won't budge on price, it costs what it costs to get a great result. Anyone who is giving a reduced rate is likely also doing reduced quality work.

Rick gave me a lot of price breaks. I do not remember the exact figure, so you should contact himself if you are interested. In terms of value, I am most pleased with the full hood Xpel so far. I live on a dirt road and my car gets dirty every day. The hood seems to stay the nicest looking and there is piece of mind with the extra protection. I am really glad I sprung for the whole hood instead of partial.

I got the ceramic pro because I knew I would use my local touchless car wash quite a bit and wanted some protection from the chemicals used in that process. I was hoping with the ceramic pro and my car wash it would come out super clean each time, but it doesn't. Hand washing is really the only way to get really clean which I rarely do because the next day it is dirty again. So I am not sure the Ceramic pro was worth it.

As for the matte expel on the back of the seats, like most other jobs I have seen photos there are gaps that are clearly visible if you are looking for it. It still looks way better than the shiny backs and I am sure is much more durable this way. the shiny backs of the seats were one Tesla's more stupid design decisions. I really pushed for a cheaper price on this part of the service and maybe got what I paid for. In hindsight, I would have paid more for this aspect of the service and insisted on a no gaps installation which I am sure is difficult. I have only seen one set of photos with a no gap installation from a detailer in California.

Despite being a picky customer, I would go back to Unique Car Care again because they are great to work with, have a ton of experience, and do an excellent job on the detailing which is essential for getting a top notch result. Because I live on a dirt road I might skip the Ceramic Pro next time and put that money toward Xpel treatment on the back which seems to get the most dirty and I would guess the most beat up in the years to come.

Last edited:
I need some kind of DIY product I can just slap on the car myself. Hard to justify $5,000 for a film that has to be removed after a few years. I read some people were using carpet protection film on the front of their cars while at the race track to protect from rock chips. That's more my style.
Xpel has a temporary paint protection that can be installed for track days... as far as DIY the pre-cut kits that Xpel and most other manufacturers sell are not too difficult to install but very time consuming. You should check it out... www.xpel.com has all the pricing online for the kits and there are plenty videos online as well.