TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Group install of lighted rear applique at Hamilton NJ supercharger

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by artsci, Mar 5, 2015.

1. artsci

artsci Sponsor

On Sunday, March 29 starting at 10:30am at the Hamilton, NJ supercharger, we’ll be doing a group install on five cars of the new lighted rear applique. The T E S L A letters on the applique are lighted from behind with neopixel arrays that make possible color changes and a number of special effects options. See this thread for more comprehensive information about the lighted applique and the evolution of its development.

Installations will be made on the cars of five owners and TMC members: SUPRKAR, NJ Plugin, swegman, Aaron, and artsci. All Model S owners , enthusiasts, and fans are welcome to attend, observe, and lend a hand if need be. Volunteers to take photos and videos of the installation will be much appreciated.

If inclement weather forces a change in schedule the installation will be delayed until Sunday, April 12, at 10:30am.

2. artsci

artsci Sponsor

We now have two install dates. SUPRKAR and I will do the first install on 3-29 on our cars to iron out any installation bugs and problems. Then on April 12 we'll do NJ Plugin's, swegman's, and Aaron's cars.

On both days we'll start at 10:30am

3. NJ Plugin

NJ Plugin Member

Artsci,
    For April 12th, is it going to be at the Newark DE Supercharger, or the Hamilton NJ Supercharger?

4. artsci

artsci Sponsor

March 29 will be at Newark, April 12 at Hamilton.

5. NJ Plugin

NJ Plugin Member

Excellent...tyvm.

6. Danal

Danal electricmotorglider.com

#6 Danal, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016

7. artsci

artsci Sponsor

The installation has postponed. Danal will not have any of the appliqués ready. Not only did the neopixel supply he needed not arrive but also he hasn’t finished all the programming. We'll reschedule as soon as we know when the appliqués will be ready.

8. artsci

artsci Sponsor

#8 artsci, Mar 29, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
    The test install at the Newark DE supercharger (changed from Hamilton NJ) has now been rescheduled for April 12 at 10:30am. As David B can't be there, we'll be doing SUPRKAR's and my car.

9. artsci

artsci Sponsor

We're definitely on for April 12 at 10:30 at the Newark DE supercharger. We'll be doing SUPRKAR's and my car starting at 10:30 am. Any interested Tesla owners are welcome to join us to observe, take photos or vide, or lend a hand.

10. NJ Plugin

NJ Plugin Member

I am planning to go this Sunday. I am excited to see the installation on your car.

Thank you Artsci for sending me the cutout applique early without the lenses, so I could "de-chrome" it.

We used spray Plasti-Dip, after filling the letters with (silly) putty, and masking out the clear end lenses.

Here is a shot of it.
    Applique.JPG

11. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Looks good. When it gets to me I'll be the one installing the letters and electronics.

12. NJ Plugin

NJ Plugin Member

Great, thanks.

13. Danal

Danal electricmotorglider.com

Just finished the first 3 "Hand Built Production" units. As opposed to "Hand Built Prototype". That enables two things: First, this install, I will be shipping these 3 to Artsci & company tomorrow, and second, beginning to move toward "Factory Production" units.