Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Groveland to Yosemite Sentinel Dome and back to Groveland on full charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I am planning to take my Model 3 long range (310 miles) to Yosemite from the bay area. I think I will have enough charge to make to Groveland from Fremont (leaving with ~280 miles charge).

If I charge to full (~300) in Groveland, would it be enough to visit Yosemite, drive around (mainly going to Sentinel Dome, which is 66 miles one way) and then come back to Groveland to charge again? I am leaving in a couple of days, it is end of September, and the weather is currently warm.

I am worried about the battery performance in high altitude and having to climb all those hills. So even though google maps put this journey within the car range, what I get out of the car might be completely different.

I am going in the middle of the week, I may be able to find chargers if I have to, but I don't want to go out of my way to charge. I want to be able to get back to Groveland from Sentinel dome as quickly as possible, if possible.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
regards,
sach

Before you head out are you sure these areas are even getting traffic now? Huge fires in that general area shut down a lot of roads and areas. Thought I read that Yosemite NP was closed but not sure.

We live near the CSU lightning fire area and while mostly contained, Henry Coe SP in that area is still off limits. This weekend and into the coming week (end Sept, first part Oct) most of this whole region of Calif. is under red flag high wind warnings for power shut offs. I think you’d be better off planning a trip down the coast and away from this whole area.

see the info provided in this post #5 for the upcoming week’s weather:
PG&E PSPS this weekend (2020-09-26)

Last edited:
Last trip I made to Yosemite (Aug 2019) we drove through Groveland and charged there. This is coming from San Jose with nearly a full charge (297 miles) and three people in my LR RWD 3. From Fremont you should have no problem getting to Groveland (assume your route is 680, 580, 205, 5, 120). I had 125 miles left when we stopped there for lunch. Actual odometer reading said the trip was 148 miles, versus the 172 miles of range the car said I used. With a full charge of 309 miles, we drove down into Yosemite Valley and arrived with 243 miles left (used 66). I didn't get a odometer check but Google Maps says the distance is 46 miles. As my route home left via 140, I'll leave it to you to figure out if your trip to Sentinel Dome is possible.

There was a charging setup at the Ahwahnee Hotel that I used while in the valley. You might want to contact the hotel and ask if it's still available. I posted this last month: Trip LA <-> Yosemite

ref: Current Conditions - Yosemite National Park (U.S. National Park Service) (status of Park)

Before you head out are you sure these areas are even getting traffic now? Huge fires in that general area shut down a lot of roads and areas. Thought I read that Yosemite NP was closed but not sure.

We live near the CSU lightning fire area and while mostly contained, Henry Coe SP in that area is still off limits. This weekend and into the coming week (end Sept, first part Oct) most of this whole region of Calif. is under red flag high wind warnings for power shut offs. I think you’d be better off planning a trip down the coast and away from this whole area.

see the info provided in this post #5 for the upcoming week’s weather:
PG&E PSPS this weekend (2020-09-26)
Yes, thank you so much for the warning. I am monitoring the fire conditions, but wasn't paying attention to PG&E warnings. I will do that as well, hoping that things will improve before Wednesday, when I plan to start driving.

Reactions: SMAlset
Fires are still burning in that area and air quality is listed as Unhealthy (red) in that general area. https://fire.airnow.gov/

E1253C45-099A-4A41-A4A0-DB3AA07FB42A.jpeg BC846397-1D7B-4F59-A19A-137F7C2888DA.jpeg

I know Groveland and Yosemite aren’t in the affected counties right now (counties to the north are affected) but you will be traveling through counties from the Bay Area that might have power shut off. And who knows by Wednesday what weather conditions will be. Where I’m at suppose to be hot all week in mid 90s so typically we’re still higher than projected

Keep an eye on CalFire’s website too. We saw several fires on the horizon during on our last trip to Sonora/Jamestown area during this time of year, doesn’t have to be all weather related either sadly. 2020 Statewide Fire Summary | Welcome to CAL FIRE

Last edited:
I also am due in Yosemite in a couple weeks--but I may have to divert.
You MUST have reservations to stay, or even drive into Yosemite. The reservations for October are full, and you need to login on October1, to get November reservation. If you have accommodations booked in the park-that will allow you access for 7 days from first entry.
There is a Tesla destination and J1772 charger at the Ahwahnee. There is an additional 14-50 by the general store (tough to find, and may be blocked). There is an additional Supercharger south, Tenaya Lodge, at Fish Camp, which is near Mariposa Grove (Currently Closed)
Entry reservations:
Recreation.gov
For routing, these are great tools:
A Better Routeplanner
PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

1) the air quality is absolute crap here and conditions change hourly, so be prepared to call an audible.

2) There are many many Yosemite threads in the California forum discussing these trips. Do some searching and reading.

3) Your EV doesn’t care one bit about altitude. Electricity works the same at 10,000 feet as it does at sea level.

4) Every hill you go up is one you come back down, regenerating along the way.

5) The trip you describe is absolutely no problem whatsoever in temperate weather.

6) There are level 2 chargers in the valley if you’re in a pinch, but they can be busy.

Last edited:
Reactions: chrstna4
Last trip I made to Yosemite (Aug 2019) we drove through Groveland and charged there. This is coming from San Jose with nearly a full charge (297 miles) and three people in my LR RWD 3. From Fremont you should have no problem getting to Groveland (assume your route is 680, 580, 205, 5, 120). I had 125 miles left when we stopped there for lunch. Actual odometer reading said the trip was 148 miles, versus the 172 miles of range the car said I used. With a full charge of 309 miles, we drove down into Yosemite Valley and arrived with 243 miles left (used 66). I didn't get a odometer check but Google Maps says the distance is 46 miles. As my route home left via 140, I'll leave it to you to figure out if your trip to Sentinel Dome is possible.

There was a charging setup at the Ahwahnee Hotel that I used while in the valley. You might want to contact the hotel and ask if it's still available. I posted this last month: Trip LA <-> Yosemite

ref: Current Conditions - Yosemite National Park (U.S. National Park Service) (status of Park)
Thank you for the detailed post from before. The miles you quote make my trip possible.

Fires are still burning in that area and air quality is listed as Unhealthy (red) in that general area. https://fire.airnow.gov/

View attachment 592802 View attachment 592803

I know Groveland and Yosemite aren’t in the affected counties right now (counties to the north are affected) but you will be traveling through counties from the Bay Area that might have power shut off. And who knows by Wednesday what weather conditions will be. Where I’m at suppose to be hot all week in mid 90s so typically we’re still higher than projected

Keep an eye on CalFire’s website too. We saw several fires on the horizon during on our last trip to Sonora/Jamestown area during this time of year, doesn’t have to be all weather related either sadly. 2020 Statewide Fire Summary | Welcome to CAL FIRE

yes, keeping an eye on fires. I have a reservation and also have taken a week off. So desperately wanting to do this trip. But if things are bad at the last moment, I am ok to cancel the trip. Let's see.

You MUST have reservations to stay, or even drive into Yosemite. The reservations for October are full, and you need to login on October1, to get November reservation. If you have accommodations booked in the park-that will allow you access for 7 days from first entry.
There is a Tesla destination and J1772 charger at the Ahwahnee. There is an additional 14-50 by the general store (tough to find, and may be blocked). There is an additional Supercharger south, Tenaya Lodge, at Fish Camp, which is near Mariposa Grove (Currently Closed)
Entry reservations:
Recreation.gov
A Better Routeplanner

yes, i do have reservations for park entry, which is why I want to do the trip on that day. Getting reservations is difficult and I have a week off, so hoping to make this trip. Thanks for the info, though.

Entry reservations:
Recreation.gov
A Better Routeplanner
Just an FYI, if you rent a house in Yosemite West via scenicwonders you can get in without a reservation as the house reservation counts for park entry.
My house:
Aerial Ascent Yosemite | Yosemite Rentals & Reservations

• Informative
Reactions: Nosken
Thank you for those of you who replied. I made the trip (and back). It was easy. Yosemite was a little smokey the first day, but cleared out that evening. The next day was much better. I did the hike at Sentinel Dome and Taft point, camped out at the North Pines campground and then drove back the next day, making a short stop at the Tunnel View vista point.

On the way to Groveland from the bay area, I stopped at the Manteca SC, and topped off. I did not have to do it. I only did it because I wanted to be charged up in case Groveland SC was shutoff due to the fire situation. On the way back, I got a message saying that Groveland SC was temporarily closed, but that wasn't the case. I was able to stop and charge before heading home.

I noted down the miles at every stop I made, incase someone might want to know.. I have pasted it below. All places are in California, SC=supercharger. See attached picture.

yosemite-trip-report.JPG

Hope this helps,
-sach

Nice data. So it looks like the car reported 159 miles of range was used to do a round-trip from Groveland to Yosemite (and environs). While Google Maps says the route was actually 139.4 miles. You can also see the sections where you "gained back" some range (battery miles < Google miles), no doubt those were mostly downhill.

Nice data. So it looks like the car reported 159 miles of range was used to do a round-trip from Groveland to Yosemite (and environs). While Google Maps says the route was actually 139.4 miles. You can also see the sections where you "gained back" some range (battery miles < Google miles), no doubt those were mostly downhill.

yep, thats correct, there's one section where I even drove for 28.6 miles and no "battery-miles" were used. it was mostly downhill.