Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Growing FSD liability could be massive.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

“For those that have followed the Tesla story, you know that CEO Elon Musk has basically talked about full self-driving for almost a decade now. The company still has not shown off the U.S. coast-to-coast autonomous drive that it said would come by the end of 2017, for instance.”

“The potential liability question comes into play here if you think Tesla won't be able to truly solve FSD with the current hardware. One might think that a potential lawsuit would just want to refund the FSD price, and those arguing here might cite the recall number of vehicles to get a total liability. At an average cost of $10,000 for FSD, that gets you to around $4 billion when you consider how many customers have reportedly paid for the package so far.”

Screenshot 2023-02-26 1.51.03 PM.png

Image source: Full Self-Driving Computer Installations | Tesla Support Other Europe
Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

You do realize the panic it creates when someone who is “advised” to drive hands free and do other things while the car is driving itself, and then you get called to take over. In 10 seconds tou have to stop whatever you are doing, get a handle on the situation.

That being said, I do appreciate the failover task in which “the system brakes the vehicle to a standstill in a controlled manner while engaging the hazard warning lights.”

The concern I have is during the time when the driver is taking over, in a panic mode, and ends up crashing the car, Will Mercedes take liability? Of course not.
While I'm not really disagreeing with you, I think that the characterization that the car will just "give up" is a little bit of an exaggeration.
For example, today when driving down the four lane divided highway with limited access, I'll be running with NoA enabled. For a variety of reasons, the car may decide that it doesn't want to continue NoA. It throws me a warning that I'm response. But the car doesn't stop it continues on, usually deciding that conditions are more favorable in a few minutes and then re-enables NoA.

Sure it is startling, but it doesn't bother that much anymore. And I still know that I must be somewhat cognizant of my surroundings at most times.

No, I took over. Wasnt gonna wait till the last second

So you ASSUMED that it wasn't going to successfully navigate the situation.

As I've mentioned, there's personal response times and trust that falls into play here. I've seen my wife balk on many occasions and then I'll go do the exact same thing and find that the car did successfully handle it.

So in your mind, the car was not going to handle the situation. I'm fine with that. But that DOESN'T mean that the car won't.

It infuriates me as to how late the car waits to turn the turn signals on. So late that I often think that it is about to miss the turn. I'll take over at times because of it. But I know that I just need to be patient with it.

Autonomous driving is still illegal in the UK. They are planning to set up the legal framework and certification program by 2025. Pretty sure in its current state Tesla's FSD won't come anywhere close to passing it. I mean, the thing cannot even navigate stationary traffic on a parking lot.

Speaking of which, got a message from Tesla's rep yesterday: "We are expecting the software update to reenable AutoPark soon. There is no definite date yet." Same thing they said two months ago.

Don't you mean FSD Beta? Or are you privy to the feature set of the final FSD that no one else seems to know.
They are different things.

And autonomous driving is still illegal in most of the states.

So you ASSUMED that it wasn't going to successfully navigate the situation.

As I've mentioned, there's personal response times and trust that falls into play here. I've seen my wife balk on many occasions and then I'll go do the exact same thing and find that the car did successfully handle it.

So in your mind, the car was not going to handle the situation. I'm fine with that. But that DOESN'T mean that the car won't.

It infuriates me as to how late the car waits to turn the turn signals on. So late that I often think that it is about to miss the turn. I'll take over at times because of it. But I know that I just need to be patient with it.
No, I took over. Wasnt gonna wait till the last second
Do you do the same when you are in a uber ride? How bad does your blood pressure get when you are a passenger in a car that you are not driving?

Has single stack actually happened in the US? I believe not. If that's the case, are US cars running same / similar code on freeways as the only code we run over here?
it's present in 11.x, everyone is waiting for it to roll out in the US soon (though the "recall" may hold things up a bit). My guess is as Tesla gradually check the boxes on US features they will begin looking at Europe, but there is also much tighter regulation in Europe then the US.

What strikes me as odd in UK is that 'old' 'FSD in beta' [as apposed to fsd-beta-city streets] is not completely inhibited on any roads - making it the driver's responsibility to ensure compliance and safe operation. So how would it be a retrograde step to allow, for example, better speed control approaching bends? Since neither version of FSD looks like reaching level 3 with HW3, it just needs renaming ADA (advanced driver assist) and the feature set defining in acceptable terms to the regulators.

Do you do the same when you are in a uber ride? How bad does your blood pressure get when you are a passenger in a car that you are not driving?
I ride in ubers/lyfts/taxis all the time, and for years had no car.. racking up $400/mo in car rides.

Absolutely AP/FSD is more stressful than just riding in a human driven vehicle.
Look at how many guys will quietly admit to having to turn off AP/FSD when their wife is in the car or they get screamed at for the poor braking/acceleration.

What's the difference?

In a human driven Uber, I can sit in the back and read the news, catchup on email, etc. I am not responsible to supervise the driver.
In AP/FSD I am still 100% responsible and must remain alert at all times. Is the car going to do something stupid, cause other drivers confusion, or urgently hand over control to me? Who knows! "Just keep your foot over the accelerator / brake / both / something".

In a human driven Uber, the drivers will behave in predictable manners. That is, after the first few stop&gos, turns, etc.. you get the idea of how this guy is going to drive. Humans are creatures of habit. Humans are flawed but tend to have common predictable flaws, and at an individual level be fairly predictable once observed.
In AP/FSD, you can go through the same route every day for a year, and it will work 90% of the time, but fail in unsafe, unpredictable and different ways for that 10%. The AI/ML models they are using are non-deterministic and the ways they fail are impossible to predict when, where or how.

Finally
In a human driven Uber, if they crash.. I get out and catch another ride.
In AP/FSD, I now have to deal with police, insurance, body shop. Time and money.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve