Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Growing list of software glitches... Spotted by Aussies...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have four so far:

1. When you put the car in park with the mirrors tucked in, then when you enter SUMMON mode - the mirrors flap out then flap in. This can be annoying when the mirrors flap out only to hit the wall. But the flap out flap in just looks a little ridiculous.

2. When you lift your butt off the driver's seat (usually in order to look over your shoulder to make sure that you are not backing into a pillar or post) the car throws itself into park. Now this may be a safety feature - though I don't know how given that the front driver's door hasn't been opened. But even if it is a safety feature, there should at least be a few seconds leeway in order for drivers to manoeuvre about in the driver's seat to see all around the car.

3. There is a useful feature where the volume turns down when the front driver's door is opened. After all no one wants to broadcast their selection of music to the neighbour. But the glitch here is that it also turns the volume down of the mobile telephone call that you are on. That is quite annoying. It happens often that a telephone call hasn't finished by the time the car trip has finished. So naturally the driver continues talking on the phone whilst the car is in park. And very often the driver wants to open the car door for simple comfort reasons. But it is quite annoying when the telephone volume automatically dips - there is no call for that!

4. This is a subtle one. I have noticed it often in the rain/drizzle and therefore especially noticed it today. When the headlights are on auto on a reasonably dim drizzly day, then turning the wipers on automatically triggers the headlights on (for a short period of time at least). Naturally if it is dark enough the lights are already on. But if not, and if it is not raining that much that the driver turns off the wipers occasionally - then every time they are turned on the lights go on too. Don't ask me why. I am sure this is a glitch.

Please feel free to comment on the above and add any other glitches below...

I would think of a glitch to be something not working as designed - the classic being in a computer game where something jumps or gets stuck at a certain point.

From my point of view I don't see the above as glitches? I think they all have a logical basis for being programmed that way.

That having been said they might be able to be finessed in some cases, as long as that didn't undermine the reason for the function in the first place - e.g. Bum on driver's seat, otherwise stop seems a logical safety approach that maybe shouldn't be undone?

Reactions: Blue heaven
I notice most of these on a daily basis and I must say I’ve never thought of them as glitches either (until now at least) - more design irregularities maybe? But I do agree that they can be a bit annoying and probably should be either adjusted, finessed or eliminated:

1. Mirrors nudging in & out - can’t see any logic in that and does seem a bit glitchy.

2. Butt off the seat handbrake - is annoying. I put my seatbelt on to prevent it occurring but a short delay while reversing at low speed isn’t a bad idea.

3. Phone call volume cut isn’t a big deal for me but also seems a little glitchy. Maybe a toggle should be added to Settings?

4. I notice the headlights flashing a lot - not only during rain - and can’t figure out the logic behind it.

Also I notice the Spotify logout a lot but never need to reset the password/username.

2 & 4: I believe are working as designed. I seem to recall these are documented in the manual, but I don't have time to check now.

3: I imagine might be a hardware limitation. I suspect the same channel will be used for telephone calls and music, so (if I am right) not possible to reduce volume of music without also reducing the volume of the telephone call.

1: Can't comment on this one.

1. Seems silly, and might scratch your mirrors.
2. A genuine problem for Luddites like me who insist on turning one's head to see where one is reversing. I tend to lift up and BANG! Park. Not helpful. Would love it fixed (2seconds??)
3. Yup, needs fixing so phone volume is not dropped too much.
4. Never noticed this! But seems silly. Mostly I find the wipers freaking annoying: they run really fast when they have just CLEARED the windscreen!?!??!
5. Car reads "80" signs as "60" when they are printed in lights (ie LED sign) as opposed to in painted.
6. Fix Summon so it works usefully in Australia
7. What colour should "Max Battery Power" be when it's not on? Cos it always appears in blue- needs to be made clearer
8. Make it possible to turn the central screen OFF, so it's black.
9. Make the volume control actually change the volume with the initial click
10. Make the speedo / energy graph like it was before!!!!

My beef relates to auto high beams. I find them coming on at dusk, when there is still a lot of light and no need for headlights let alone high beams. Yet, when I enter my 300 m private driveway (12 houses are on the same roadway), there are no streetlights, but in pitch darkness, the high beams take forever to come on, basically when I really do need them!!

I have four so far:

4. This is a subtle one. I have noticed it often in the rain/drizzle and therefore especially noticed it today. When the headlights are on auto on a reasonably dim drizzly day, then turning the wipers on automatically triggers the headlights on (for a short period of time at least). Naturally if it is dark enough the lights are already on. But if not, and if it is not raining that much that the driver turns off the wipers occasionally - then every time they are turned on the lights go on too. Don't ask me why. I am sure this is a glitch.

This is maybe due to US law. I believe 1/3 - 1/2 of US states require by law to have lights on when wipers are on. It's probably easier for Tesla to just built that in for everyone.

Headlight Use - AAA Digest of Motor Laws

One from me is it isn't consistent with playing what you were listening to when you get back in the car.

I.e. often I'll have Triple J playing, when I get back in it doesn't resume - I need to select it again.

I would also like to be able to control the volume scroll wheel sensitivity. (Too slow IMO)

Oh here's another one...

Every now and then, the charger screen seems to default to a 30w charging limit instead of my 40w. There is no limitation on 40w and I seem to have to have the charger plugged in and physically charging the car to select it. When I do select it, it stays at 40w but only for the next few goes. And then it defaults back to 30w and the only way to change it is back in the car again. I have my charger set to 'time of use' so that it charges after 10pm at night. Don't know if that is what is making this glitch glitch.

Anyone know of this?

Oh here's another one...

Every now and then, the charger screen seems to default to a 30w charging limit instead of my 40w. There is no limitation on 40w and I seem to have to have the charger plugged in and physically charging the car to select it. When I do select it, it stays at 40w but only for the next few goes. And then it defaults back to 30w and the only way to change it is back in the car again. I have my charger set to 'time of use' so that it charges after 10pm at night. Don't know if that is what is making this glitch glitch.

Anyone know of this?
If your car detects too large a voltage drop when charging, it automatically reduces the current and remembers this. It is done to protect against faulty wiring heating up and starting a fire. You might want to have an electrician check for loose or bad connections in your wiring.

• Informative
Reactions: Shock-On-T
When I was lad we used to have to carry a pencil in the glovebox so as to wind the tape back on the cassette after playing it too many times.............................you were looky, back in our day we didn't have tapes, we had to tune the radio with a dial while trying to tune into Ashes cricket from Yorkshire........................looxury, when I was lad we couldn't afford a car wireless, we had to make up our own cricket commentary from the backseat tapping the pencil on the door handle to sound like leather on willow, and if we got the score wrong our dad would thrash us within an inch of our lives.............you were looky to have door handles.

I have four so far:

Haven't noticed this one yet but will look. If it happens on my car it would certainly keep people "legal" in Ohio (and many other states) where there are laws requiring headlights whenever the wipers are required. The jist, of course, is that most people apparently don't have the common sense to turn on headlights (DRLs are not required) when there is low visibility (snow, sleet, rain, etc.).

EDIT: Just noticed @Vad42 already posted a similar observation.