Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grrrr...4th UMC...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm now at almost 24,000 miles in 10 months of ownership LOVE LOVE LOVE the tesler (nope not a typo that's her name) but I'm on my 4th UMC I've talked to the techs that have said that the wall chargers (formerly HPWC) are NO stronger other than amperage they are built the same toughness wise. I've looked at the actual cables the heads ya. They are the same. I insert and take them out the way the techs have shown me. They even switched out my port last time just in case and here I am again. Grrr. They are great about giving me more no questions asked. My worry is in another 10 months when the warranty is up.

Has as anyone ever heard of a blink charging above 30amps? My dad's company is the one that installs the stupid things and he offered to install one at my house without the fee side of things just the equipment

The Blink's are even worse. Your best bet is Clipper Creek. Tesla charging cables are junk, and it's looking like Tesla isn't interested in fixing the issues, which would take a complete redesign.

Well... the HWPC is designed for a 100A breaker and it can be set to a lower amperage (40A breaker to 100A breaker in steps of 10A). Therefore, it should be be built at a better level for a 50A breaker when comparing against a UMC. However, it is quite expensive for 40A charging (50A breaker).

You can always choose to go with something like a Clipper Creek HCS-60 which goes for $899 and takes a 60A breaker, 48A charging (40A if you only have a single charger onboard).

HCS-60, 48A, 240V Charging, 25? Rubber Over-molded Cord | ClipperCreek | ClipperCreek Vehicle Charging Station

In comparison, the Clipper Creek HCS-40P is 30A charging, NEMA 14-50 plug just like the Tesla UMC but costs $644. These do have a 3 year warranty.

I do wonder if there is something endemic about your situation that is causing UMC's to fail that often.

I'll second the Clipper Creek HCS-60 or HCS-40 suggestion. I have one of each.

The HCS-40 is the same case but, has a thinner cable (still thicker than the UMC), is much cheaper, but will only charge at 32A. Don't forget to add in another $95 for a second J1772 adapter to leave on the clipper creek though.

I'm now at almost 24,000 miles in 10 months of ownership LOVE LOVE LOVE the tesler (nope not a typo that's her name) but I'm on my 4th UMC I've talked to the techs that have said that the wall chargers (formerly HPWC) are NO stronger other than amperage they are built the same toughness wise. I've looked at the actual cables the heads ya. They are the same. I insert and take them out the way the techs have shown me. They even switched out my port last time just in case and here I am again. Grrr. They are great about giving me more no questions asked. My worry is in another 10 months when the warranty is up.

Has as anyone ever heard of a blink charging above 30amps? My dad's company is the one that installs the stupid things and he offered to install one at my house without the fee side of things just the equipment

Where is the UMC failing?

I may be crazy, but I feel like my HPWC is much thicker/tougher cable than my UMC. I've only used my UMC twice since taking delivery in March but I remember one of my first reactions to taking it out of the bag was "hmmm...that's a lot lighter." Again, I'd trust Tesla more than me...so maybe I'm just dreaming.

5 months of ownership. No problem with HPWC (or hardly-used UMC).