TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

GSM - On or Off - What's your preference?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by daniel, Jun 25, 2011.

?

Do you keep GSM on or off?

1. Always ON.

35 vote(s)
    89.7%
  2. Always OFF.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ON for diagnistics only.

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  4. ON except when I want to hide what I'm doing.

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  5. Other.

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. daniel

daniel Active Member

I'm still waiting for my Roadster. I gather The GSM can be set to ON, OFF, or On for 6 hours. And that the GSM allows Tesla to remotely collect information about the car, and perhaps about your driving.

I'm wondering if people leave it always off for privacy, always on to help Tesla improve the car or future models by having access to real-world information, or just turn it on when there's a problem they want Tesla to be able to diagnose remotely?

Thoughts and reasoning on the topic welcome.

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

On. I'm not all that paranoid. I think letting them download logs helps me in that they can detect problems (or find the car if stolen), and it helps them assemble a huge database on EV use, which has to be incredibly valuable for Tesla.

3. S-2000 Roadster

I suppose one thing to consider it that, given the "Patriot" Act, the government can force Tesla Motors to give them Vehicle Logs without any kind of warrant.

4. daniel

daniel Active Member

I'm not worried about the gummint using the Patriot Act to find out where I've been driving. I'm more worried about the cops using the logs of my car to give me a ticket for speeding.

It appears, however, that the overwhelming majority of respondents leave their GSM on all the time.

5. EV_de

EV_de Model SP10/XP9 EU ZOE#47

It's running allready in that direction ....

TomTom admits using navigation data from the police speed trap

original German

Goggle Translation:

6. daniel

daniel Active Member

That Google translation, like all computer translations, doesn't actually say anything. Could you summarize it for us in your own English please?

7. Adm

Adm Active Member

#7 Adm, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
    TomTom uses information from real time traffic from some of its models to provide real traffic information to other TomTom users. They also sold traffic info to a company which analyses traffic info which in turn has sold this info to the police. GPS info combined with speed info tells Dutch police where people speed more or less to have more `productive` speed checking sessions and thus writing more tickets and thus easily meeting the targets. Confronted with this information TomTom has changed is policy for the use of the information provided. It has also moved the Minister of the interior to take away the targets for tickets for police forces.

8. EV_de

EV_de Model SP10/XP9 EU ZOE#47

my english isn't better ..

NAVIGATION DEVICE MAKER TomTom collects anonymous data from his customers (if they allow it) to improve the routing ...

TomTom sell it to dutch government , cause they thought the government will use it to improve the traffic flow and prevent traffic jams..

But they give it to the police , the police used the datas to find the best places for speed traps ... to improve the cash flow..

Now they feel sorry ...bla bla bla..

Like Bruce's driving skills : "you had a accident" .. "only 3 points left on your license"

9. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

It doesn't really matter if you leave it on or off...they will still get the data. Since the car is always collecting and storing the logs, if you leave it off the next time you bring the car in for service they will insert the USB key and collect the logs (and upload them to their database). If you leave it off and then turn it on, they will download all of the previously stored logs. So I find it best to just leave it on. That way if you get a VDS error you can e-mail them and have them "pull the logs" and figure out what the problem is.

10. strider

strider Active Member

My rationale for leaving it on is in case it's stolen, I can call up Tesla and they can log in and find out where it is (or where it last had GPS reception).

11. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Agree completely!

12. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Is there anything in the paperwork when you buy the car that gives Tesla the rights to this data?

13. user497

user497 Member

On. Didn't even know you could turn it off and don't care what they are looking at (until the speed tickets start coming in but I was worried about that with EZ-Pass and it still hasn't happened). On the plus side, the few times I have had issues I just emailed them and they looked at the logs without further action on my part. Makes it easy.

14. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Not really. Downloading manually they will only get the most recent driving data - maybe the last two months worth, depending on how much you drive.

15. daniel

daniel Active Member

Thanks to both.

EV_de: Your English is fine. Computer translators don't understand context. The result is that they produce nonsense.

As long as TomTom is not identifying who was speeding and letting the cops issue tickets to the speeder based on the GPS reading, I see no problem. And even if they did, it would probably be a good thing. Speeding kills. OTOH, setting quotas is bad because if the tickets work, and people quit speeding, the cops will have an incentive to fudge their numbers to give tickets.

Thanks. I'll leave mine on. I sure hope it gets here before I die of old age.

16. shark2k

shark2k Member

As well as quota's being illegal.

-Shark2k

17. daniel

daniel Active Member

EV_de is in the Netherlands. They certainly have different laws than we have. And even here in the U.S., that would fall under state law, and different states may well have different laws.

18. Dragon

Dragon Lightning Green Fairytale

I leave it on. No problem for me, I actually think it's a good thing.

19. S-2000 Roadster

My Tesla is less than one month old and the VehicleLogs have already wrapped, erasing old information (except the permanent daily logs).

20. sprediletto

sprediletto Member

I leave mine on. It provides Tesla Motors with data they can use to improve current and emerging technologies.