Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GTA drivers, when are you switching to winter tire this year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put mine on this Saturday and everytime I put on my winters, it reminds me how much I dislike winter tires (although my current X-Ice 3's are my favourite of all time). It all comes down to a balance between performance and noise.

Not loving my current 3 season tires on account of road noise either. I was one of the early purchasers of the Yokohama Avid Ascend GT's and early on there wasn't a lot of data on road noise. When I bought, Tirerack rated their noise as much better than they currently rate them. Unfortunately, I will probably have them for as long as I own the car.

Will be 14C this Fri in Toronto so that will be the day. Typically I wait for it to the harshest/crappiest coldest day to change them and put my Xmas lights up and I always swear saying never again.. haha..

Will need to take the lowering links out and probably the spacers as well :(

Will be 14C this Fri in Toronto so that will be the day. Typically I wait for it to the harshest/crappiest coldest day to change them and put my Xmas lights up and I always swear saying never again.. haha..

Will need to take the lowering links out and probably the spacers as well :(
Lol!

Same reason here - when I noticed the warm weather I put off installing my winter tires. I will wait till the first snow fall and see if the weather stays close to zero after that for at least a week before I switch! We don't drive much nowadays anyway, so if it snows we'll just stay put. Dragging this out to first or second week of December would be ideal!

Reactions: JamstationP85D
Lol!

Same reason here - when I noticed the warm weather I put off installing my winter tires. I will wait till the first snow fall and see if the weather stays close to zero after that for at least a week before I switch! We don't drive much nowadays anyway, so if it snows we'll just stay put. Dragging this out to first or second week of December would be ideal!

Did you ever get your second set of rims or are you still replacing the tires on the one set of rims?

I have my tire replacement down to about 10 minutes now as it took a while to tweak the lowering links to the proper height.

Did you ever get your second set of rims or are you still replacing the tires on the one set of rims?

I have my tire replacement down to about 10 minutes now as it took a while to tweak the lowering links to the proper height.
I got the 2nd set of rims last year, but did not install them this year as the tread on the existing set of 19 inch rims was still really good as the original owner only drove the car for 26.8k km. So I figured I would drive on them for another summer and then buy the new 20 inch tires and have them mounted on the replacement rims next spring. The tires still have very good tread, I may chicken out and drive them another summer, who knows! lol

You have your tire replacement down to a science now! That's awesome!

I got the 2nd set of rims last year, but did not install them this year as the tread on the existing set of 19 inch rims was still really good as the original owner only drove the car for 26.8k km. So I figured I would drive on them for another summer and then buy the new 20 inch tires and have them mounted on the replacement rims next spring. The tires still have very good tread, I may chicken out and drive them another summer, who knows! lol

You have your tire replacement down to a science now! That's awesome!

I went from the factory 21 inch Michelin Pilot Super Sports to Falkens this year. They are MUCH quieter and smoother riding (for a 30 series profile tire). They also seem to wear much slower than the Michelins. I am sure they Michelins would probably be a tiny bit faster on a slalom track as they are so stiff but its not even noticeable (and I drive it like I stole it 100% of the time). VERY happy with the switchover.

I went from the factory 21 inch Michelin Pilot Super Sports to Falkens this year. They are MUCH quieter and smoother riding (for a 30 series profile tire). They also seem to wear much slower than the Michelins. I am sure they Michelins would probably be a tiny bit faster on a slalom track as they are so stiff but its not even noticeable (and I drive it like I stole it 100% of the time). VERY happy with the switchover.
Thats awesome!!! Which specific model of Falkens did you get?

Hello guys,

Future tesla M3 owner here. Just wanted to ask some advice regarding winter tires.

Do you guys prefer using the original rims with the winter tires? Or get separate rims for the winter tires??

Thanks for the help!
I change out my winter/summer tires at home, so I got another set of rims. Lots of good aftermarket rims out there - and rim and tire packages.
Tires alone are a lot less expensive, but you still have to store them, plus pay more for installation, and balancing each season

We had Wheelsco do a zoom presentation to the Tesla owners club a couple of weeks ago. Here's a link to the Model 3 page: Tesla Model 3 Winter Package

I change out my winter/summer tires at home, so I got another set of rims. Lots of good aftermarket rims out there - and rim and tire packages.
Tires alone are a lot less expensive, but you still have to store them, plus pay more for installation, and balancing each season

We had Wheelsco do a zoom presentation to the Tesla owners club a couple of weeks ago. Here's a link to the Model 3 page: Tesla Model 3 Winter Package

Cool thanks for the link!

Hello guys,

Future tesla M3 owner here. Just wanted to ask some advice regarding winter tires.

Do you guys prefer using the original rims with the winter tires? Or get separate rims for the winter tires??

Thanks for the help!
I was always told if you are swapping tires on rims every season you run the risk of ruining the seal between rim and tire, so ultimately it is more cost effective to buy a separate and dedicated winter rim/tire combination.

Reactions: akidesir
I was always told if you are swapping tires on rims every season you run the risk of ruining the seal between rim and tire, so ultimately it is more cost effective to buy a separate and dedicated winter rim/tire combination.

Actually my plan is to swap in the winter tires on the stock rims and buy a separate rim for the all seasons.

Im sure i would find good deals on after market rims for the all seasons.