Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GTA drivers, when are you switching to winter tire this year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've always has all season tires till last year. They definitely make a difference no doubt. I pick up the model y nov. This will be my first awd vehicle so I want to see what it's like in the snow.

It has to handle the snow better than the 5L mustangs I drove as a teenager

Reactions: Anna St
My swap over to the winter wheels is scheduled for 06 November. This will be my first winter with the Model 3 and also my first winter with Nokian winter tires (I always got X-Ice tires with my prior vehicles) so I'm looking forward to seeing how things go.

Of course, I'll get over it quickly and will be yearning for spring by about mid- to late-December but that's a personal failing.

I usually change it on Nov 11 every year but I'm going to change it this coming Sat (Oct 31) since I'm barely driving while working from home. The shop I go to will be busy changing tires for others in Nov so I don't mind avoiding any potential rush.

I did it today as it was convenient and no long trips planned in next month.
In the past it has been mid Nov to mid/late Mar depending on the weather.
Always do it before the weather people talk about the first snowfall/freezing rain as suddenly the tires shops go from nearly empty to insanely busy.
NOTE to be eligible for (usually 5% insurance discount): a) it must be all 4 tires b)tires must have the 3 peaked mountain snowflake symbol, winter and all-weather tires have this but all seasons usually do not c)see below about dates

Dates: 1)"To qualify for the winter tire insurance discount, some insurance companies require that you have winter tires on your vehicle from November 1 to April 1. Other companies state that your winter tires must be on from November 15. Date requirements vary. Some companies specify installation must be done by November 30 and still others set December 1 as the latest installation date."
2)"Quebec is the only province that legally requires every passenger vehicle to have winter tires between December 1 and March 15"

If any other jurisdiction mandates it in Canada I think the Quebec dates are a reasonable minimum.

I was taking them down from the storage racks in my garage yesterday and the plan was to install them next weekend. As we were taking the wheels down, the snow started falling in was sticking a bit to the ground. So I ended up installing the wheels the same day. Worked out great since the temp dropped and I was driving around last night. There was ice on the roads then and this morning.

It’s supposed to warm up a bit this week but I do most of my driving (not even that much these days) in the morning and the evening when the temps will be colder. It’s done with now and it frees up a day next weekend for me.