TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

GTA Electricians

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Dolphindefense, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Dolphindefense

I will be new to the Tesla family once I take delivery of my Model 3 in Ontario and am just wondering if anyone can refer a good electrician that that have previously used for installation of a charger in their home?

How much did it cost?

Did they supply the charger or did you have to get it yourself?

Which charger did you get and why?

How long did it take to install (end to end)?

I live in a detached house in the suburbs with two car garage attached to the house and my electrical panel is in my basement. Any info would be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

2. RapTelligence

RapTelligence Member

And also remember you can upto 1K back from the Govt for the hardware/installation cost

3. Sorabh

Sorabh Member

I used the electrical works. Their name was on the Tesla website. I called on Wednesday and it was installed on the Friday. They were super proffessional but I think I paid $1500 ish for it. I did have a long run though.

I also bought the charger from Tesla. the price is online but around $650 ish...

In all I'll get $1000 back so it's not that expensive.

4. phigment

phigment Member

How does that work out? On the site:
    50% of the purchase cost, up to $500

+

50% of the installation cost, up to $500 (a maximum value of $1,000)

So 50% of $633 = $316 + $500 of install = $816

5. Dolphindefense

Thanks for the info! For the rebate, isn’t it 50% of the $1500 with a cap of $500? And then another 50% of the 650 with a cap of $500? Therefore, you’d get back roughly $825 and not $1000. That’s how I interpreted it on the MTO site.

50% of the purchase cost, up to $500

+

50% of the installation cost, up to $500 (a maximum value of $1,000)

• Like x 1
  6. Sorabh

Sorabh Member

Thanks. I haven't submitted it yet so glad I know now. Cheers!

7. rpm001

rpm001 Member

I used Signature Electric and they were decent. I would use again, but they did need a little supervision to make sure they were doing things the way I wanted.

Asking about costs isn't really helpful as everyone's situation is so different.

I had a fairly long run from my panel in the front basement to my garage at the back. A couple types of conduit, drilling through stone, etc. to get it done. Took about 6 hours for two guys.

My recommendation is that you book a few weeks in advance, as they were pretty busy last year and with all the new Model 3s coming I think lots of places are going to be swamped. It's a good business to be in right now!

I bought the charger myself at Lawrence. You apparently need a VIN assigned to be able to do this - at least at the time that was true.

8. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

The online store on the CDN site will now let you order a HPWC for the Model 3 if you have an RN# . I added it my cart, went to checkout, it had my RN# already listed and it was allowing me to pay. I didnt yet as I'm waiting as I already installed a Nema 14-50 on a 40amp for when the car arrives. Will upgrade later.
    As an aside anything I've ordered from the Model 3 CDN webstore (plate frame and later the tire pump) sent me an invoice from the Lawrence Ave. store (CDN invoice, not a US invoice even though they shipped from the States). I add this as a CDN invoice is required for the Ontario rebate.

• Helpful x 1