Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GTA Winter Driving and Snow Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is $3000. I just ordered a set.
Call Tesla service directly or send them an email to the Toronto service Center.

I read on the TM corporate website forum that Tesla have dropped the price of the winter tire package (original 19" style or aero 19") to $3000 + tax. Can anyone confirm? shop.teslamotors.com still lists them at $4000.

I have a set of Rial's on order from TireRack (they are on back order), but once the exchange rate factors in, they will be slightly more expensive, and Tesla won't install them (again, so I've read) when I pick up my car.

- - - Updated - - -

And you are right...Tesla won't install them. I just went through this with them last week, hence my order of the $3000 package.

I read on the TM corporate website forum that Tesla have dropped the price of the winter tire package (original 19" style or aero 19") to $3000 + tax. Can anyone confirm? shop.teslamotors.com still lists them at $4000.

I have a set of Rial's on order from TireRack (they are on back order), but once the exchange rate factors in, they will be slightly more expensive, and Tesla won't install them (again, so I've read) when I pick up my car.

It is $3000. I just ordered a set.
Call Tesla service directly or send them an email to the Toronto service Center.

- - - Updated - - -

And you are right...Tesla won't install them. I just went through this with them last week, hence my order of the $3000 package.

Thanks, mcfadyena. That's what I meant; I should have been clearer in my post that it was direct from the service centre not on the web.

I'm torn what to do. What rubber comes on the set from the service centre? The Pirelli's? I have a set of them on my BMW right now. They're actually a decent tire; quiet, not squirmy and they handle well. Not the best in deep snow, though (but clearly better than all seasons). One winter I was stuck twice in Toronto on these tires (they are performance winter tires so I knew this could happen, so I'm not complaining).

So, if the exchange stays the same, it's a wash. Positives being I get a non standard rim (I don't love the stock Tesla 19's, don't hate them, don't like the Aero's), and I get to try a different winter performance tire. Negatives being getting them mounted myself and not getting a Tesla rim. Oh, and sticking with the same tire I've been on for the past 8 winters.

It's my second season on the Hakka R's which I like a lot. They are very quiet on the highway with just a slight hum at lower speeds. Traction control still engages quite a bit in the snow and slush but I tend to always drive like it's dry pavement which it is not.

But so far I have not gotten stuck. Even in a parking lot that had not been plowed where many other cars were having difficulty. I find that raising the suspension has helped me move out of parking spots better when the snow is 5 or so inches deep.

I also purchased a set of Hakka R2's for my Volt.

Kal tire in Mississauga has been fantastic. They treat us Tesla owners very well.

I just got back from a Chicago road trip (not in my Model S). I had a big old Chevy Tahoe for the trip. I took it back to the rental place (in 4WD mode) this morning and they gave me a ride back in some sort of Nissan pickup (also in 4WD mode). Both were slipping and sliding all over the place, although to be fair, both just had "All-Season" tires.

I shoveled out the drive and went out for a coffee in my Model S with Nokian Hakka R2's and couldn't believe how well it performed. No slipping, so sliding and I don't even think the ABS or Traction Control had to engage. Very impressed with these tires in my first real "winter" experience.

I just got back from a Chicago road trip (not in my Model S). I had a big old Chevy Tahoe for the trip. I took it back to the rental place (in 4WD mode) this morning and they gave me a ride back in some sort of Nissan pickup (also in 4WD mode). Both were slipping and sliding all over the place, although to be fair, both just had "All-Season" tires.

You sure they weren't summer tires? I still have nightmares from my Ford Fiesta 401 experience, mentioned in Winter Ice Adventure

I was out and about on Saturday in the midst of the storm a couple times. I was driving down King St. in Hamilton (5 lanes wide or so, One way). There's a Hyundai Accent in front of me and I see him spinning his tires taking off a few times, I think to myself I should stay back a bit from this guy. Sure enough at the next intersection slowing down for a red light he begins to slow down and the car begins to rotate. A super slow motion rotation of 90 degrees ensues. I don't know what he had on for tires, but based on the way the car behaved, there had to be very little tread depth on them.

Made me appreciate having a good set of winter tires on!

You sure they weren't summer tires? I still have nightmares from my Ford Fiesta 401 experience, mentioned in Winter Ice Adventure

I do remember that thread. Hilarious because it wasn't me with that car :smile: I checked the Tahoe before I set out, and they were All-Seasons. Not sure about the Nissan they dropped me off in. Fortunately the trip to/from Chicago was completely clear and roads were dry. Glad I wasn't coming back today.

It's my second season on the Hakka R's which I like a lot. They are very quiet on the highway with just a slight hum at lower speeds. Traction control still engages quite a bit in the snow and slush but I tend to always drive like it's dry pavement which it is not.

But so far I have not gotten stuck. Even in a parking lot that had not been plowed where many other cars were having difficulty. I find that raising the suspension has helped me move out of parking spots better when the snow is 5 or so inches deep.

I also purchased a set of Hakka R2's for my Volt.

Kal tire in Mississauga has been fantastic. They treat us Tesla owners very well.

I am also impressed with my tires. I was much better off than most cars on the road both Saturday and during the snowfall today. I did have a bit of trouble making it up my unplowed driveway today but it has a very steep incline so I don't know if any car could have done it without clearing some of the snow.

And I agree about Kal Tire, especially Ian there. I have been there four times for both myself and my husband's tires and they treat me like a celebrity when I show up. They have accommodated me quickly everytime and even comped a few services for us. They just want to talk about the Tesla! I highly recommend them.

During the storm that we just had yesterday in the western GTA area (I live north of Milton), my Pirelli's performed very poorly. For the first time in many years, I became stuck. Even though the snow is only about 5 inches deep!

This is the second season on my Pirelli's, but last year we had very little snow after I took delivery of my car.

I think that it is time to switch to X-ICE 3 or Hakka R2 (if I can find any). I'd be very interested to hear other peoples experiences in this latest storm which seemed to dump quite a bit of snow at relatively cold temperatures for this area (-12C).

Judging from what others on this forum have reported, "Performance" winter tires like the Pirellis do alright in cold weather as long as the pavement is clear and dry. However, they don't do so well in snow and slush. For that you need Michelins or Nokians.

Sounds like you've come to the same conclusion.

Judging from what others on this forum have reported, "Performance" winter tires like the Pirellis do alright in cold weather as long as the pavement is clear and dry. However, they don't do so well in snow and slush. For that you need Michelins or Nokians.

Sounds like you've come to the same conclusion.

I wonder when Tesla will acknowledge that their only winter tire option is inadequate? I really did not like going to a non-Tesla shop for tire service, and now I will have to continue doing that since they won't touch the Nokians.

I wonder when Tesla will acknowledge that their only winter tire option is inadequate? I really did not like going to a non-Tesla shop for tire service, and now I will have to continue doing that since they won't touch the Nokians.

I don't know if inadequate is the right word.

What they should do is offer an option of at least two styles of tires and let the customer choose. A true winter tire, and a performance winter tire. They offer multiple wheel choices, and multiple summer rubber choices, so why not winter?

I say this because I live in Toronto. I have used performance winter tires for the past 8 years, and for the previous 8, true winter tires (including Nokian Hakka's). In the past 8 years, I have been "stuck" twice. Otherwise, it's been totally fine, and I do enjoy the better feel of performance winter rubber when the roads are clear (which is most of the time around here).

Now, ask me my opinion the next time I get stuck, of course. :)

I have been debating going back to true winter tires instead of performance winter tires for the Tesla (I get it in March), and I keep going back to the performance option.

For my needs and requirements, it's the right choice.

Agree 100%. The last couple winters we've barely had any snow and so far this winter my performance winter tires have been great.

I don't know if inadequate is the right word.

What they should do is offer an option of at least two styles of tires and let the customer choose. A true winter tire, and a performance winter tire. They offer multiple wheel choices, and multiple summer rubber choices, so why not winter?

I say this because I live in Toronto. I have used performance winter tires for the past 8 years, and for the previous 8, true winter tires (including Nokian Hakka's). In the past 8 years, I have been "stuck" twice. Otherwise, it's been totally fine, and I do enjoy the better feel of performance winter rubber when the roads are clear (which is most of the time around here).

Now, ask me my opinion the next time I get stuck, of course. :)

I have been debating going back to true winter tires instead of performance winter tires for the Tesla (I get it in March), and I keep going back to the performance option.

For my needs and requirements, it's the right choice.

I really did not like going to a non-Tesla shop for tire service...

Why? I don't think I've ever used my car dealer for tires in the past and have no hesitation in using other tire shops for my Model S. Kal Tire were great in getting my Nokian Hakka R2's installed for me. What's the issue? The only thing I believe Tesla won't do is rotate non-Tesla wheels, but so what? I've never used my auto dealer for that either. I'd rather source the best tires for me and my style of driving rather than the one-size-fits-all Tesla recommended wheel and tire.

Why? I don't think I've ever used my car dealer for tires in the past and have no hesitation in using other tire shops for my Model S. Kal Tire were great in getting my Nokian Hakka R2's installed for me. What's the issue? The only thing I believe Tesla won't do is rotate non-Tesla wheels, but so what? I've never used my auto dealer for that either. I'd rather source the best tires for me and my style of driving rather than the one-size-fits-all Tesla recommended wheel and tire.

Tesla seems to be pro-active in checking / fixing things and I suspect that every trip to Service is an opportunity for them to check over the car. For example, much has been posted about alignment concerns. When I had my inverter replaced they rotated the tires (3,000 kms) and did a re-alignment. Yes I know that the re-alignment may have been required due to the inverter replacement but if the alignment had off from the factory, I would probably still be driving unaware and eating tires. There were several other pro-active 'fixes' listed on the work order that I hadn't requested. Having Tesla swap the tires twice a year provides another opportunity for a check up. It might also be convenient to wait until a seasonal tire change and have any minor issues addressed at the same time. Also there is another concern that nags at me (which admittedly may not be justified)... Could a fault develop with this car that could be blamed on 'untested' non-Tesla approved tires? Probably not, but it's a new car with new tech and it was not an inexpensive purchase. BTW, I have nothing negative to say about Kal Tire in Hamilton. The location I used had not worked on a Tesla before and so I had a diagram of the 'lift points' in hand. They were great.
I am in total agreement that sourcing the best tires for my style of driving is more important than using Tesla's solution. That is why I went elsewhere. I just would have preferred not to.

I find Tesla's refusal to touch aftermarket wheels silly. It's like they are afraid of catching cooties or something.

My Audi and BMW dealers have never had an issue servicing my cars with aftermarket wheels.

Because you are dealing with factory service rather than dealer service there is a different standard they are held to. Dealers are arms-length so they don't have to satisfy the FMVSS.

When I had my inverter replaced they rotated the tires (3,000 kms) and did a re-alignment.

What's interesting is that when I took my car in for (among other things) a drive unit replacement, I specifically asked for the alignment to be checked due to a "loose" feeling on the highway. They reported back that the car was "driving as designed" and did not check the alignment. I would have thought replacing the drive unit would have required one, but there was no mention anywhere on the Work Order they e-mailed me. They also did not rotate the tires. I have both the Extended Warranty and the 4 + 4 Year Service Plan.