Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GTA winter driving with model 3 RWD and all season tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If only the Ontario rebate applied to the Dual Motor option, I would have purchased it without hesitation. If I upgrade from my RWD 3 it will be to a Performance model. But right now I have my sights set on a Model Y to replace my CUV. Need to save the money for that.

AWD Model Y somewhere on the horizon for us as well. If not the Y then another mid-size AWD BEV for sure. Until then it’s our ‘14 AWD Escape with nice winter alloys and Blizzacks.
In a perfect world it would be a Model 3 Performance and an LR AWD Y with a set of winters. Who knows :) Can’t take it with you ;)

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
AWD Model Y somewhere on the horizon for us as well. If not the Y then another mid-size AWD BEV for sure. Until then it’s our ‘14 AWD Escape with nice winter alloys and Blizzacks.
In a perfect world it would be a Model 3 Performance and an LR AWD Y with a set of winters. Who knows :) Can’t take it with you ;)

Exactly what I am doing right now. My ICE is my backup in the winter time. Don't feel too good driving an ICE though lol.

Reactions: 03DSG
Not planning to drive M3 without snow tires on a slushy or icy road. That's where my awd ICE comes in.

Hope you have winter tires on that car. AWD does absolutely nothing to make the car safer in wintery conditions. It's all about the turning and stopping which AWD does not help with. In fact, AWD can lull one into a false sense of security. I blame the auto makers for shamelessly promoting AWD/4WD as winter beating cars.

B4mg1v4CQAAgp2S.jpg

Hope you have winter tires on that car. AWD does absolutely nothing to make the car safer in wintery conditions. It's all about the turning and stopping which AWD does not help with. In fact, AWD can lull one into a false sense of security. I blame the auto makers for shamelessly promoting AWD/4WD as winter beating cars.

View attachment 369861

Of course I have winter tires on my ICE AWD ( that was mentioned a few times in my previous posts)

I love Calgary.

Good to hear everything is working well with M3. You know, boss is not comfortable with RWD, as the one we had before was a RWD with winter tires. Slip and slide in Calgary esp when she went uphill and downhill.

You can't compare a Model 3 RWD with ICE RWD. The Model 3 is far superior to almost any RWD ICE car. Don't make the mistake of assuming all RWD are the same. Put some winter tires on that RWD Model 3 and see just how good RWD can be in the snow/ice when it has excellent DSTC and optimum weight distribution coupled with effective mass centralization and low center of gravity. All these things add up to a car that is naturally adept on the snow/ice, even the rear wheel drive Model 3's.

But, yeah, winter tires. You need that regardless of AWD or RWD if you want it to be good in winter conditions.