TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Guaranteed Buyback Experience

Discussion in 'Model S' started by PeteP, May 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

But I think there's intrinsic value in that... It's kinda like saying the only value of life insurance is if you die, otherwise it's useless....

As much as I'd like to root for Tesla's success and celebrate their track record for keeping their cars up-to-date through continuous improvement, I would also like to be protected in the event that this somehow stops happening in the future and something happens to the resale value. And GRV is convenient because it doesn't have much of a downside in terms of cost premium except maybe 1% interest rate difference between a CU and a GRV-qualified lender... While Tesla's US Bank leases are riddled with above-average fines in the fine print for doing anything that deviates from your original lease schedule.

• Helpful x 1
  2. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

seconded, don't let the condition in a picture equal how you think they would sell it to you. They'll clean it out, replace obviously damaged items in some cases, wait for you to request replacment on others, and refuse to replace some if the damage is very minor or expected wear.

End result should be better by the time you agree to take it than that first rough picture. And if they don't improve it enough you walk away and get a better one.

I think worst case is you lose the shipping charges if they ship it across country and you walk away. But if you live close enough to drive or fly there cheaply then you can avoid that.

3. tanner

tanner Active Member

The VERY minor discounts they offer just aren't worth it IMHO.

4. henderrj

henderrj Member

It was my understanding that Tesla puts a 50K mile/4 year warranty on every CPO vehicle they sell. If that is true they certainly aren't making a ton of money on the cars. Besides, it's always been true that selling a car directly nets more than a trade in - usually the dealers just pads the price of the new vehicle so the trade in looks good!

5. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

The appeal of the GRV program before Spring 2015 was because there was no CPO program and no clear idea of what the cars would be worth in 3 years. So Tesla implemented the GRV program to show up front what they'd pay in 3 years or so.

Early on in the CPO program Tesla did contact owners and offered more than GRV - for certain vehicles.

My expectation is that GRV even with the mileage hit will be about 7% less than what I could get privately.

Either way, when that window opens 18 months down the road, the new Model 3 I have reserved, my own Model S, and a similar Model S CPO will all be worth within $5K of each other, except that there won't be any CPO 2014 Model S as they'll be deemed too old to play in that sandbox.

6. tanner

tanner Active Member

Trivial if the car has original warranty. Even more trivial if it's extended - e.g. Mine could have been extended to 100,000 total miles (I put less than 10k on it) and until 2021.