Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guess how much the damage cost to fix...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few weeks ago, someone crossed into my lane on the freeway and their driver's side mirror hit my model S on the rear passenger door. It was a minor impact as I barely heard the impact and pulled over just to be safe. This could have been much worse as we were travelling at about 60mph. The other driver immediately admitted fault and consented to a recorded admission right there on the side of the freeway (wow!).

As his insurance was paying for it, I took it to a Tesla certified body shop to get fixed as soon as they had availability and I just got the car back last week. Any guesses to much the final bill came out to be?

A few hints:
  1. There was a very, very minor dent in the rear passenger door. I only was able to see it when the insurance adjuster pointed it out.
  2. There is minor scuffing around the wheel well. Again, I didn't notice it but the insurance adjuster pointed it out
  3. The car had Opticoat applied previously. I can't reapply for a couple of months though.
  4. No deep scratches to the Midnight Silver Metallic paint.

You're getting a new rear door for sure. they won't fix dents as someone said previously. There's 5k with paint. Plus another 1K for the new gen door handle that matches the new door mold. you're at 6k. I can't see the scuffs but as long as its paint only, theres another 2k for feather prime and block. You're at 8K +/- for additional crap they might try to do.

Plus another 1K for the new gen door handle that matches the new door mold. you're at 6k.
Umn... what?

I'm not sure what this "new gen door handle" that you're talking about, but if it looks different they need to replace all 4 handles. Or use an old one.

But from what I know, the door handles haven't been changed in a while...

Umn... what?

I'm not sure what this "new gen door handle" that you're talking about, but if it looks different they need to replace all 4 handles. Or use an old one.

But from what I know, the door handles haven't been changed in a while...

When i had my 2013 door replaced last month... it had a goodwill doorhandle that was given to me by the SVC in Jan of 2016 (to replace the original 2013 handle). I was told that the new door design (rear pass) needed a different door handle. Because of this... whatever the reason... I got a new door handle, and got to keep the old (new) one.

Make sense? It's kinda confusing lol