Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guess the damage costs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was in a very small parking lot and got backed into by a Toyota Avalon on the driver side rear door very low speed. There was a delivery truck blocking my right of way path so I was went around it which gave me no room to maneuver when I was leaving the parking lot. I was halfway passed a parked car when I noticed it started to move out. At this point there was no time to react since there was less than two feet between me and that car. All I could do was hold on to the horn. It wasn't enough. If I attempted to speed up, it most likely would have much more extensive damage. I took it the same day to Tesla's auto body shop and now have an estimate. Person didn't have insurance paperwork on her other than to take her word that it's Liberty Mutual and I have her driver's license.

The body shop says it will take approximately two weeks for parts. I figure I'd make this educational for others on how much certain damage may cost especially through the authorized body shops. Tesla has this body shop listed on only one address. I asked the body shop if their other locations in town would do the work and only that particular shop listed is authorized to do the work.

IMG_20170111_125207.jpg

$30'000 based on this

Those are the same 2 panels you're showing in the picture, right?
Same two panels. I'll let the suspense ride a bit longer.

Addendum to the story: Driver mentioned she knew someone that works at Maaco. I was flabbergasted she even brought that up. I told her, "I can guarantee you that Maaco will not touch the car".

I figured whatever your deductible is the cost to you... But assume $3,000
Deductible is $1000 but assuming my insurance (USAA) can corroborate her story with mine, it shouldn't cost me a cent since she is at fault. I do have dashcam footage but there's no much to see prior to impact other than you briefly see a backup light and you don't even notice it until just before impact.

Hard to tell from the photo, but here's my guess

$3,500 if it's just the door
$15,000 if it's the door and quarter panel
I was hoping you would weigh in since I saw a similar thread about your "door ding". What are your thoughts on diminished value? My car is 13mos old. Keep in mind I only have an estimate so that can change at any moment once repair has commenced as you found out.

I was hoping you would weigh in since I saw a similar thread about your "door ding". What are your thoughts on diminished value? My car is 13mos old. Keep in mind I only have an estimate so that can change at any moment once repair has commenced as you found out.
Well, you never told us what the cost of the repairs is? If the damage is just to the door, you'll get one set amount of diminished value. If it's to the quarter panel, the repairs will be a LOT more, and you'll get a lot more.

As you saw - I took the easy way out, my damage was $3,750 (new door). I call their insurance company, their starting offer was $1,300. I said done. I'm 100% positive if I fought it, I could've gotten a lot more out of them. So it depends on how much your time and energy and sanity and health is worth.

I call their insurance company, their starting offer was $1,300. I said done.

Is that a thing? Whenever I've had insurance claims with someone else at fault before, their insurance always covered the repairs completely. It seems odd that they could even legally do less, since they assume responsibility for any damages done by the other driver.

In my opinion it's already ridiculous that the other driver isn't responsible for depreciation due to the existence of the accident. Not having to cover the cost of basic repairs is absurd.

Reactions: Andyw2100
I just got my car back today. Someone backed into it and damaged the rear quarter panel and scratched the bumper. Took 9 weeks to get the quarter panel and a couple of weeks for the repair. Cost just over $5,200. Was actually lucky it took so long to get the parts since someone hit the car again while parked in the exact same place and further scratched the bumper. Shortly after that some one scraped along the other side of the car. No one left a not although we found out who did the last hit. What really ticks me off is I'm the kind of guy that parks all my cars as far away from others as possible. However when there is only one spot left there isn't much you can do. In my 55 years of driving I've only had two other cars hit in parking lots and the Tesla was hit 3 times in less than two months.

• Funny
Reactions: anonim1979
Is that a thing? Whenever I've had insurance claims with someone else at fault before, their insurance always covered the repairs completely. It seems odd that they could even legally do less, since they assume responsibility for any damages done by the other driver.

In my opinion it's already ridiculous that the other driver isn't responsible for depreciation due to the existence of the accident. Not having to cover the cost of basic repairs is absurd.
That number was for diminished vale only. They paid the repairs in full as well as my rental car.

Last edited:
I just got my car back today. Someone backed into it and damaged the rear quarter panel and scratched the bumper. Took 9 weeks to get the quarter panel and a couple of weeks for the repair. Cost just over $5,200. Was actually lucky it took so long to get the parts since someone hit the car again while parked in the exact same place and further scratched the bumper. Shortly after that some one scraped along the other side of the car. No one left a not although we found out who did the last hit. What really ticks me off is I'm the kind of guy that parks all my cars as far away from others as possible. However when there is only one spot left there isn't much you can do. In my 55 years of driving I've only had two other cars hit in parking lots and the Tesla was hit 3 times in less than two months.

Pffft, with one of my past cars, I had someone hit the back and take off without leaving a note. I reported it to my insurance and they required a police report. My wife and I were waiting in the car for the officer to show up and take a report when *another* car rear ended me. We got out of the car and she took off as well.

Fortunately, we managed to copy down her license plate, and we were informed she was arrested and had to cover the full cost of the repairs.