TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Guess what I was doing last night

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by dhrivnak, May 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Here is the VDS Tesla_Drag.JPG

I took my 1.5 to the drag strip and learned a few things. First is my car has lost .2 seconds in the 1/4 mile over the last 7 years. Horsepower also dropped from 241 to 235 as well. I assume this is due to battery aging and hopefully will return (plus some) with the new 3.0 battery.

I also found it interesting is performance mode was a bit slower with two runs about .03 slower so not significant, but interesting and it could be noise. As were my times with traction control off were just a tad slower as well. Anyway I made 10 runs between 13.25 and 13.5, still faster than most gas cars.

• Like x 5
    • Informative x 2
  2. gregd

gregd Active Member

Given that you have such detailed track data, it will indeed be interesting to compare your results with the 3.0 battery! Please do let us know.

3. bolosky

bolosky Member

On my 3.0 I've seen the VDS claim as much as 243kW, which is ~326hp. How accurate it is and how that translates to the dyno is anyone's guess, but if I remember the original battery it rarely read above 200, so there might be significantly more power with the 3.0 than the older system.

• Informative x 1
  4. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Where you able to get other data points / bench marks? Such as battery balancing, the CAC, ambient temp, std/range mode full charge value, etc?

Nice capturing this, thanks!

5. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I think so. Temp was 85 and CAC 134.75. My standard ideal miles is 164 and range is 211. My pack is balanced. So overall the battery is not in bad shape for 9 years.

• Like x 2
  6. ion_1

ion_1 Member

Considering 7 years and where the CAC is at now, the relative retention of performance is very impressive. Importantly, it shows the power of the cells have not degraded much in excess of the capacity of the cells. This is really important . Not sure about you, but if someone told me these batteries would post such a power retention 7 years later, I would not believe them. Tesla deserves credit for this, wow. Thanks for sharing the data!

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Agreed, truly impressive long term stability and performance, especially considering that was Tesla's first battery pack design using what is now 10 year old technology.

• Like x 1