TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Guesses on Autonomous Driving as an Upgrade

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by highedu, Sep 18, 2013.

1. highedu

highedu Member

lots of news on this front from the man himself in both a job posting on teslamotors.com and a tweet where Elon basically says that he will use a combination of 360 degree cameras and radar.

Question becomes, is he thinking about doing this as an upgrade to the model s and model x since it will come after both models or will one have to buy a new tesla?

any insights on which path he may follow?

2. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

#2 gaswalla, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
    um... still waiting for parking sensors to be available as an retrofit. Autonomous driving as an retrofit upgrade? I don't think so.

3. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

One of the tweets explicitly said "Model S".

Now, retrofit vs. "2016 edition" I dunno.

4. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

two guesses on a Model S upgrade from the service center: never and fricking never.

I'm highly skeptical that the current physical hardware will be appropriate for self driving sensors. Not to mention the computer power needed is likely to be a bit more than we currently have. Heck, they haven't even gotten to adaptive cruise control.

5. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

They just did a full Plus retrofit of a Signature. Anything is possible, for the right amount of coin.

6. hans

hans P631

Every self driving car in existence has been a third party retrofit for large amounts of money. We know that model works.

7. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

It's perfectly timed for the 3-year 'lease' program.

8. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

Hmmm, if the parking sensor retrofit is really $6K, then the autonomous driving upgrade should be approximately the price of the car, new.

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

The question was about Tesla retrofits, not 3rd party. FYI.

10. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

If parking sensors are indeed $6K to retrofit (which hasn't been confirmed) then AD will be multiples of that. I don't foresee any retrofits being done.

11. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

Autonomous Driving Retrofit price? probably about $110k. :)

12. hans

hans P631

I don't believe there will ever be any early model Tesla retrofits for autonomous driving. Perhaps from a future model with more of the required hardware pre-installed.
    However, there quite likely will be a few non-commercial 3rd party retrofits created by Google or Stanford. Same approach as the self-driving Prius, Audi TT and the Lexus RX450h.