Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guesses on "token of appreciation" for line waiters tweeted by Elon Musk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another pipe dream... Tesla is already having difficulty expanding the SC network ... wait for the Model 3 tsunami to hit next year :cool:

Except there will be no tsunami, other than the one conjured up by the shorts and clueless media. The same pablum was parrotted prior to the Model X, as some will recall.

Even with easily 300,000 Model 3s expected in the first 2 years, the net impact to CA is negligible (+36,000 cars per year).

Other posts have debunked the hysteria ad nauseum:

12,500 L2 & L3 chargers from 2 CA utilities alone.
70% of homes have garages.
$1.2B in Dieselgate money for CA chargers and maint alone. That's the equivalent of 4000 SC sites, and there are only 400 on the continent at present. All for CA, not that any Dieselgate money will go toward Tesla SCs. But it will fund tens and tens of thousands of chargers.

Solve CA and you solve the continent.

Included SCing will remain one of Tesla's best competitive advantages. Expect them to leverage it as some *significant* volume of real (versus vapor and short range) competition *finally* materializes in a few years.

Since some reservations had to be done online where a reservation on March 31st didn't get registered until April 1st, I believe Elon will include reservation completed on April 1st.

I believe a reasonable loyalty gift would be unlimited supercharging. This would limit the financial impact on the company at this time. It would be an even greater gift if he allowed the unlimited supercharging to be transferred to a new Tesla vehicle purchase in the future.

They are not going to give something that valuable to thousands of people.

Last edited:
IMG_0326.JPG
Ditto. These people whining about their "gift" is sad. These people trying to exclude as many people as possible is sad. These people who want said "gift" only so they can gloat and flaunt it in the face of others are sad.

Agreed. I was thrilled to get the original mailing with the picture and thank you. Totally unnecessary but appreciated.

View attachment 240199

Agreed. I was thrilled to get the original mailing with the picture and thank you. Totally unnecessary but appreciated.

At first I assumed those sketches were going to be the gift. I reserved my 3 almost 3 weeks after the reveal, so I didn't think I'd ever get it. When my sketches showed up in the mail I was shocked, and kind of thankful.

Then
I figured Tesla was just being generous and offering the sketches as a gift to anyone who reserved "early on" (I think it was the end of April or sometime in May when Tesla hit ~400k reservations, including "duplicates", etc.)

And yet, even after receiving that gift, "first day" and/or "in-line" reservation holders are demanding another gift. And not just some trinket, but some are even requesting items that might be relatively expensive. Give me a break.

Be careful. Roadster owners asked for something special, and (almost three years later) got a $29,000 replacement battery option...

And those of us across the pond got something very special indeed - we have to wait till 2019 to get our Model 3 and even better, those who order today also get theirs early 2019. So over on this side we already feel very special for having been early fans.

I have been thinking the same thing for a while now. I definitely will be keeping to myself at superchargers.
No, I'll be begging for a look at your 3.
I bought my S after reserving the 3 because I just couldn't wait, even though I could barely afford it. Tesla fever.
Not all S drivers are snobs, or even that well-off.

I personally hope it is nothing. I think the promise of delivering an awesome electric car at 35k is enough of a thank you. Hell the personalized card was a pretty cool thank you gift also.

Standing in line for hours to put a measly $1,000 doesn't impress me. The early adopters who plucked down 100k for the Roadster and 5k for the Model S unveil are those who should receive a special gift. They made the Model 3 a possibility.

Edit: I am a Model S owner and 3/31 reservation holder btw.

My last reply to you was before i read the rest of your comment. You're no better than the guys you're talking about.

When Elon originally mentioned this extra reward, it was a reaction to all of the tens of thousands of people who camped out in line to reserve. It became a national TV news sensation and surely added great momentum to the reservation event. But I noticed the guy who tweeted him is pushing for anyone who reserved on 3/31 to be included and of course there have been several threads here making the same case. Funny stuff.
As someone who took off work to wait in line for a car I only knew the base price of, I'm a bit biased and would appreciate him keeping it to line waiters. We all got the drawing, but my store is an 8 hour round trip so that token while not required it would be nice since Elon promised it.

Reactions: JP Bark
Same here, I reserved a 3 then stretched for an S because i couldn't wait. My wife and I couldn't be happier. So we sold the S and reached again for an X. I wouldn't treat anyone different because they are driving a 3. Hell I still want one! I get annoyed seeing people's reactions and just making blind assumptions. Tesla is more than a car to me, it's changing the whole auto industry. The fight is against big oil and too big to fail GM and the old school automakers, Not another Tesla owner.

Playing devil's advocate for a second...

Let's say 25% of 180,000 first day reservation holds are both US based and want AWD or performance. If the AWD and Performance delay put these individuals after the full tax credit cut off as the current delivery estimator suggests, then Tesla will have potentially cost these particular individuals a collective $168.75 Million in lost tax credits.

Yes, these people could have selected a lesser version and yes, late reservation holders will end up getting these credits. I love Tesla, don't get me wrong, but it's a fact that if the AWD and P model timelines aren't speeded up then the loyalty of these individuals who waited in line or made sure to reserve as soon as possible on March 31st, 2016 will be rewarded with a financial penalty.

Personally, I'm still hoping for the best.

Since some reservations had to be done online where a reservation on March 31st didn't get registered until April 1st, I believe Elon will include reservation completed on April 1st.

I believe a reasonable loyalty gift would be unlimited supercharging. This would limit the financial impact on the company at this time. It would be an even greater gift if he allowed the unlimited supercharging to be transferred to a new Tesla vehicle purchase in the future.
I'd be very surprised if that were the gift. Mainly because they are actively trying to come up with ways to reduce traffic and prevent congestion at the super chargers. But also, free SC is not necessarily something that everyone would use, there are probably a lot of people that would never or very infrequently use it.
My money is on a die cast scale model of the model 3.

Reactions: FlatSix911