Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guesses on "token of appreciation" for line waiters tweeted by Elon Musk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
its really quite sad that elon had to mention a gift.... if he had not said anything and sent out a gift without warning, people would be so happy. But now there's expectations, which is likely headed towards disappointment :(
I agree, but wasn't the statement in reply to a question? If so, what could he have said?

(Or, maybe it was a Tweet, in which case, yes, he should have just not said anything, but started the wheels going internally.)

I agree, but wasn't the statement in reply to a question? If so, what could he have said?

(Or, maybe it was a Tweet, in which case, yes, he should have just not said anything, but started the wheels going internally.)
the above tweet yes, but after the reveal he had this tweet:
upload_2017-8-22_21-39-47.png

probably could've easily been less specific or not mention it at all
DISCLAIMER: I LOVE FREE GIFTS!! just don't like Tesla/Elon to take criticism for setting expectations so high when it maybe wasn't totally necessary :(

It's been 18 months since we pre-ordered, at this point I cannot imagine how a gift will make any difference whatsoever TBH. And add to that, for us its another 18 month wait, 3+ years in total - that's our gift for being a fan across the pond.

No chance. Not sure why anyone thinks it will be something akin to throwing thousands of dollars away.

I'm not betting on it but that's the only OTA upgrade I can think of that Model 3 owners will appreciate. Not sure how many first day reservation holders there are but if I was in marketing, I wouldn't mind giving away $2k pro bono to seal the deal on a $50k purchase. It also cuts off most of these buyers from cross shopping an BEV alternative, though so far most are inferior in range.

Or maybe a TSLA share or two will be great too. :)

• Disagree
Reactions: FlatSix911
I'm not betting on it but that's the only OTA upgrade I can think of that Model 3 owners will appreciate. Not sure how many first day reservation holders there are but if I was in marketing, I wouldn't mind giving away $2k pro bono to seal the deal on a $50k purchase. It also cuts off most of these buyers from cross shopping an BEV alternative, though so far most are inferior in range.

It's a good thing you're not in marketing then.

You don't give away freebies that cost thousands of dollars to "seal the deal" on an item that has a 500,000 unit reservation back log.

It's a good thing you're not in marketing then.

You don't give away freebies that cost thousands of dollars to "seal the deal" on an item that has a 500,000 unit reservation back log.

Sure, you are absolutely right while there are no close competitors. Tesla already gave away the freebie via hardware by the way and not everyone is sure to get the EAP. I sure won't until I get an offer to activate TACC on its own. All the rest I have no need for. :)

The other poster was right. We'll get a signed (by printer) congratulatory email. :)

Why do you think it has to be an OTA upgrade? It could just as easily be something else that gets mailed out, such as the model car that was talked about last year. There were over 100K reservations at the time the first reveal started. Those are the people that stood in line for hours to put down $1,000 on a car that they've never seen and didn't expect to be produced for over a year - those are the last people that require anything to "seal the deal" or to prevent them from looking elsewhere.

Tesla already gave away the freebie via hardware by the way and not everyone is sure to get the EAP.
I'm sure the cost of the hardware is built into the base price of the car, they are not going to lose money on it. Also, they are still collecting data and experience from those cars regardless of whether or not they have purchased EAP.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Why do you think it has to be an OTA upgrade? It could just as easily be something else that gets mailed out, such as the model car that was talked about last year. There were over 100K reservations at the time the first reveal started. Those are the people that stood in line for hours to put down $1,000 on a car that they've never seen and didn't expect to be produced for over a year - those are the last people that require anything to "seal the deal" or to prevent them from looking elsewhere.

I'm sure the cost of the hardware is built into the base price of the car, they are not going to lose money on it. Also, they are still collecting data and experience from those cars regardless of whether or not they have purchased EAP.

To your second point, a comment from a Tesla owners says you can opt out data collection but that means disabling auto pilot:

I'm not even arguing fervently about TACC being given away. I just threw in a wild guess, lol. The title of the thread is
Guesses on "token of appreciation" for line waiters tweeted by Elon Musk

Some of you take posts here too seriously. I'm still not buying TACC because I have a sense that before the fourth year is over, I will get an invitation to activate it for less than $5k USD.

Or maybe once a "change" of ownership is effected (not sure how it works), Tesla will start offering all these untapped upgrades to the new owner.

Last edited:
How many people do you guys think waited in line? Out of 180K how many waited in line?

I don't know where this "day one reservationist" term came from, but we aren't talking about that. We are talking about line waiters as Elon quoted.

How many "line waiters" do you believe there were?

You are right. I'm not a line waiter as I just put a reservation online. That's okay. I'm not the envious type if the line waiters get TACC and I don't, I will still be very happy for them. :)

• Informative
Reactions: Garlan Garner
How many people do you guys think waited in line? Out of 180K firs day reservations, how many waited in line?

I don't know where this "day one reservationist" term came from, but we aren't talking about that. We are talking about line waiters as Elon quoted.

How many "line waiters" do you believe there were?
I think it would be nearly impossible to completely identify the 'line waiters' vs those who reserved on Day 1 or reserved before the reveal. I suspect that the group will be larger than just those who were in line. And I'll be happy for all.