Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guesses on "token of appreciation" for line waiters tweeted by Elon Musk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyway, with dawn breaking, I was compelled to produce a double shot of espresso from my trusty onboard espresso maker, replete with freshly-ground beans and a dash of organic* honey in a proper double-walled cup. I'm not a morning person by nature, so if I'm going to participate, there's damn sure going to be a measure of civilization. Besides which, I forgot to stop at a Starbucks on the way over.

** yes, organic; so shoot me - it's California.

Sidetrack- how does one ensure organic honey? Bees go where they want, they cover a staggering amount of territory and gather nectar & pollen from many different types of plants let alone locations. Just wondering.

To tie this into Tesla: bees drink water. They are likely drinking it occasionally in puddles on the road, and bringing those non-organic chemicals back to the hive and into your honey. Now, if everybody gets a model 3, that's perhaps less oil-laden bee sipping puddles. Save TaoJ's organic honey everybody. :p

Last edited:
Sidetrack- how does one ensure organic honey? Bees go where they want, they cover a staggering amount of territory and gather nectar & pollen from many different types of plants let alone locations. Just wondering.

To tie this into Tesla: bees drink water. They are likely drinking it occasionally in puddles on the road, and bringing those non-organic chemicals back to the hive and into your honey. Now, if everybody gets a model 3, that's perhaps less oil-laden bee sipping puddles. Save TaoJ's organic honey everybody. :p

I cannot reply definitively. But I do know this:

You are correct that bees forage far and wide. You are further correct that bees sip at any source of casual water that is available. California (and presumably other states) certifies that a certain acreage is organic so the farmer and packing house can market as such. These fields and orchards must be in some isolation from other fields to keep this organic designation because chemicals and other substances drift.

I believe that apiarists would cleanse the hives of all honey before placing the hives in the orchards and fields for pollination. I will have to ask if the apiarists maintain a source of potable water near the hives, though.

I have had clients in the bee business and in the organic farming business (almonds, cherries, and melons, among others) and this is what they have told me.

As long as there is plenty of pollen & nectar in the vicinity, bees have no reason to forage (up to six miles). So if your hives are in the middle of an organic orchard, it's pretty certain that the honey is organic. They're not going to roam when nectar is flowing right outside their door.

I could always tell when my bees were done with the creek blackberries, for instance, because the color of pollen being brought back would change.

And yes, responsible beeks keep a water source nearby for the bees.

The guy that got the delivery in Austin on Friday said he received two UMCs, one the old style and the other the newer one for the Model 3. Perhaps us non-employees can expect something similar? While it would be nice to have an extra UMC I'd be happy enough if I got my Model 3 before the end of 2017 so I can claim the tax credit immediately.

Reactions: gambit48 and TEG
I didn't wait in line, but was there any difference between the "line waiters" at a store, and say people who reserved in the store later in the day (no line) or just online elsewhere the same day?

Even at the reveal event, all they had set up were macs with a browser open to the reservation website. Were in-store reservations any different?

My point is, how are they going to separate the "line waiters" from other people who reserved the same day (other than reservation sequence order)?

If everyone used the same website to make their reservations, I'm thinking the only real useful data Tesla has to assign invite order for each reservation is:

• Email address
  • Date/Time of Reservation
  • Reservation sequence number
  • IP address (most likely an internal Tesla intranet IP address for store locations)
From that, using the email address, they can easily match up current MyTesla accounts (existing owners) and their location. They could also match up people (like me) who were at the reveal event, although I think it's just rumors that that counts for something in the invite order, probably doesn't.

From IP address, they can tell who reserved at a Tesla store, or "not at a Tesla store" (home/work, etc). But I'm not sure how they would separate actual "line waiters" from other people who didn't wait in line, but reserved the same day at a store.

Bottom line: With 200k+ reservations the first day (a mix of line waiters, store visits, online, and event), I don't think the invite ordering sequence is going to be as methodical or logical as people are assuming it will be, other than proximity to the factory, previous ownership status, and loosely the reservation order.
They must have kept track somehow or how would they be able to consider sending something special to people who waited in lines?

• Funny
Reactions: JenniferQ and PJFW8