Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guesses on "token of appreciation" for line waiters tweeted by Elon Musk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still doubt it's going to happen. They have so many other priorities.

Over the past couple of years - Elon has always eventually done what he said he would do in his various tweets. The time frames haven't been very accurate - but he has always eventually come through. Whatever it is won't like be of too much economic value - but some form of charger credits might be in the running.

Not even that. For most of the Tesla events, they handed out artist pencil drawings/renderings of the MX/MS/M3. I suspect IF they send something out, it will be another one of these. They can outsource the entire thing.
That’s the gift for all early reservation holders. Then Elon said something special for people who stood in line. He’s been asked a couple times since then, once as recently as August 6, and he confirmed they’re still working on it

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Elon has always eventually done what he said he would do in his various tweets. The time frames haven't been very accurate - but he has always eventually come through.

What??!?! :eek:

He promised us a UI SDK and a Chrome browser four years ago. He once called FW ver 8.0 a "major UI overhaul" and then it wasn't. (Elon Musk on Twitter). I think he said the same thing about 6.2 -> 7.0. A major UI overhaul shouldn't completely decimate entire sub-components that previously worked perfectly (see Media Player/USB bugs). The browser remains unchanged from 2012. Now, LTE and Slacker streaming are essentially broken. And, I don't know, but I think a lot of people are still waiting for Full Self Driving which was promised over a year ago and still nowhere in sight, not even auto-sensing wipers. There are endless examples of things Elon promised but never delivered. So if he fails on giving out gifts for M3 "line waiters", that would be essentially insignificant to all the other things he hasn't delivered yet, or things he has delivered but have massive regression bugs.

I'm sure they have a time stamp on it so they could easily just say that anyone who reserved in store less than 5 minutes after someone else was a line waiter. After there is more than a 5 minute or so gap there is a good chance there was no longer a line

That definitely would not work. There are too many random reasons why there might be a small gap in reservations. What about the person that reserved 5 minutes and 1 second after the previous one? Oops, sorry, just missed it. Guess you weren't waiting in line.

Regardless of what method they choose they are going to get complaints so it probably doesn't do them much good to worry about it much.

Which is exactly why it's not going to happen and they sent the sketches to everyone.

What??!?! :eek:

He promised us a UI SDK and a Chrome browser four years ago. He once called FW ver 8.0 a "major UI overhaul" and then it wasn't. (Elon Musk on Twitter). I think he said the same thing about 6.2 -> 7.0. A major UI overhaul shouldn't completely decimate entire sub-components that previously worked perfectly (see Media Player/USB bugs). The browser remains unchanged from 2012. Now, LTE and Slacker streaming are essentially broken. And, I don't know, but I think a lot of people are still waiting for Full Self Driving which was promised over a year ago and still nowhere in sight, not even auto-sensing wipers. There are endless examples of things Elon promised but never delivered. So if he fails on giving out gifts for M3 "line waiters", that would be essentially insignificant to all the other things he hasn't delivered yet, or things he has delivered but have massive regression bugs.

Patience. There are great many smaller things that he has gotten done as promised. I will agree that many of the big things are late (on Elon time) but I have no doubt that they will be delivered. The Chrome Browser and the UI SDK were before I followed all of this so closely - so perhaps I have to recalibrate what Elon time actually means :)

That definitely would not work. There are too many random reasons why there might be a small gap in reservations. What about the person that reserved 5 minutes and 1 second after the previous one? Oops, sorry, just missed it. Guess you weren't waiting in line.
You're telling me the manager of a store, or anybody couldn't look at the reservation list, by time, and figure this out?

First of all, there were employees there, they'll know.

Second, just look at the list. It'll be pretty simple to figure out.

On the old models they have a separate rain sensor that works but then they introduce AP2 they thought that they didn't need a separate sensor but could detect rain with the cameras, that software have yet to come to the AP2 cars more then a year after production.
Thx for clarifying. I guess I'm not tracking why a handful of people swear up and down that AP2 is better than AP1? Everything that's supposed to work on AP1 does...

You're telling me the manager of a store, or anybody couldn't look at the reservation list, by time, and figure this out?

Not after the fact, no. There was no direction from corporate to monitor when *exactly* there were not more line waiters. The whole idea is silly anyway.. "please record and communicate back to corporate the exact time the line ended, so we can eventually send out a token gift to everyone who waited on line." I'm sure they were focused on about a thousand more important things at the moment.

And no, you can't tell just by looking at the list when the lines ended by timestamp -- there will always be exceptions and anomalies to create a rule that works for hundreds of store locations. It's much simpler to send something to everyone and be done with it. Who has time (or the care) to finely separate out the "line waiters" from everyone else?

This is silly. There is no way they are going to literally decide who waited in line. In the latest tweet people keep mentioning there is nothing about line waiting anyway, Elon was asked about day 1 reservations. Assuming they do end up having an additional something special, it will most like be either:

All day 1
All reservations before the reveal
or all in-store reservations on day 1.

I'm really surprised anybody would take "line waiting" literally.

Which is exactly why it's not going to happen and they sent the sketches to everyone.
The sketches were sent to all early reservation holders, not just those that stood in line (I got two, one for my line reservation, one for my online reservation). There was supposed to be something separate from that for line waiters, which he stated April 2 2016. Like I said before, he confirmed in August THIS year they were still working on something.

Here's what he said:
QYWbxsF.png

Whether he still follows through is another story, but he has repeatedly stated they ARE going to do something for line waiters.