Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guesses on "token of appreciation" for line waiters tweeted by Elon Musk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I'm quite a distance from my nearest Tesla location, I hope the gift extends to those of us that reserved online.
He said everyone who ordered would get something...but those who waited in line would get extra...
Screen Shot 2016-04-02 at 5.11.52 PM.png

I wonder what "waited in line" means. Definitely should mean anybody who placed a reservation in person and within the first 1-2 hours of opening. Would be really cool if they included anyone who ordered it in person at any time on the 31st. Would be amazing if they included anyone who placed an order before the reveal (i.e. "sight unseen"). I'm hoping for one of the latter two since I ordered in person at about 5:30-6:00pm EDT. No matter what, nice small gesture by Tesla.

Hi everyone,

So what do you think will be the "small token of appreciation" tweeted by Elon Musk for people who waited in line to reserve a model 3? I think the priority to get my Model 3 earlier is enough but am wondering what he could mean.

My guess is that for all those that made reservations in the stores on day one, they will offer the opportunity to upgrade (by paying an additional ..K) their reservation to make it a signature reservation... Would generate extra cash AND a lot of happy customers!:)

Of course.... (Roadster / MS / MX) Signature or Founder Edition (Roadster / MS / MX) owners would get this upgrade for a lot less! ;)

I would probably go for it!:cool:

As has been covered, Elon has said:

Scale model 3 "and a few other things"
Coming in mail
Something for everyone who ordered, but extra for those who stood in line

Logistically they will want to avoid complex fulfillment (e.g. Sizing, personalized) so think one size fits all like model car, concept art, coffee cup, key chain etc

But people who ordered in-store didn't necessarily wait in line. I ordered from home online, but got in well before the official 7:30pm order open time. Just looking at timestamp is not so easy.

Source IP address of the reservation would be trivial to collect and parse on. Reservation from known internal address ranges == in store.

For purposes of the "token of appreciation" the measure seems to be in-store reservations, not whether or not you physically stood in a long line.

I reserved early afternoon and didn't wait in any line at all, but was told to "expect something in the mail from Elon" by the associate who helped me.

But people who ordered in-store didn't necessarily wait in line. I ordered from home online, but got in well before the official 7:30pm order open time. Just looking at timestamp is not so easy.

How did you order on-line before the order time? I was under the impression that it was opened at 7:30pm PST.

I'm fairly certain that they're going to be giving all those who ordered in store on March 31st a gift. Logically, looking at timestamp doesn't really help because it is not indicative of when lines died down at a particular location. Suppose you have a store that initially had a line that numbered in the hundreds, but by the middle of the day, there were always a constant 5 people waiting in line. It's just easier to give all those who made an effort to go in-store the token of appreciation. I'm sure HQ can differentiate in-store orders from on-line orders though.