Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guessing the reveal event date

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since were all guessing, I'd expect the employees are getting deep discounts on their cars since they are being ask to be "beta testers".
I'm guessing the reveal will be on the 31st, as they need all the time they can to get the new line up and running.
Highly doubtful as they don't get discounts now on new vehicles. The entirety of Roadster and Model S/X owners didn't get discounts just for being beta testers for technology and knowledge going into the Model 3. :rolleyes:

In fact, they had to pay a premium for that privilege.

Reactions: BluestarE3
I cannot corroborate the story, but thought I would pass along the info nevertheless. The mrs. told me on Friday that she witnessed a car carrier leaving the Fremont factory plant with a load of freshly manufactured model 3s. She was following it as it got onto the freeway, but was unable to snap a picture as she was driving alone and the truck stopped shortly thereafter at the weigh-station and she did not want to be cited for pulling off the highway to take the pic. She did say they still had the filmy skin on the hoods so she was not sure about the colors, but there was a mix of them according to her. Could this be an outbound test group headed for wider distribution, or preparing for placing them in the show stores?

Actually not possible. I was at the VIP factory tour one week ago, and the M3 line is several weeks (or I believe, months) away from cranking out production, salable, complete Model 3 cars. She probably saw Model Ss.

If they were in fact Model 3s, they were hand-built prototypes or RCs.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Since were all guessing, I'd expect the employees are getting deep discounts on their cars since they are being ask to be "beta testers".
I'm guessing the reveal will be on the 31st, as they need all the time they can to get the new line up and running.

Your guess is as good as mine, but my guess is that they're getting a very small discount. Maybe the same amount that referrers get to give to friends. I wouldn't call them beta testers any more than the first buyers of any new model are.

Did you count Space-X and Solar-City employees too?
Also, could employees order 2 ?

Solar City employees are now Tesla Energy employees. Tesla Energy | Tesla

You can just say did you include SpaceX employees or you can use numbers instead of words.

Going forward saying Solar City / Tesla employees is about as useful as saying:

* PIN number = Personal Identification Number number
* VIN number = Vehicle Identification Number number

That 10K (+) was estimated based on employees that put in orders before the flood gates opened for everyone else.
But what about employees who ordered after the reveal? Do they still get priority?
Is being able to "pre-order' the only way they were able to jump ahead of non-employees?
(We may never know.)
But the point is that the number could be much larger than 10K.

There was some indication that having a registered email that ends in "@tesla.com/teslamotors.com/spacex.com(etc)" automatically puts you in a different category. (In which case if you pre-ordered, but then left the company since then your spot in line may moved.)

Yeah, since Musk himself said they're "definitely on track" to begin production in July, we'll have to assume it will indeed be in July. Yes they've been known to blow their own deadlines, but this is different - the public (shareholder) anticipation is far too great this time...

That being said, it's anyone's guess as to when in July it will be. My wild guess would be mid-July.

Yeah, since Musk himself said they're "definitely on track" to begin production in July, we'll have to assume it will indeed be in July. Yes they've been known to blow their own deadlines, but this is different - the public (shareholder) anticipation is far too great this time...

That being said, it's anyone's guess as to when in July it will be. My wild guess would be mid-July.

Begin doesn't matter too much. We remember the S and X releases.
Begin just finalizes the initial version until Tesla makes its first modifications. First modifications could happen at any time.

Thursday, July 27th at Noon Pacific.
Gives him time for the whole dog and pony show, and still technically in July.

I was thinking July 28th since it's a Friday and would be easier for many of the attendees to take the one weekday off work.

Could be both. Some past events had an employee / press event one day, then an "everyone else" repeat the next day.
The press isn't supposed to publish their photos / videos until after the public reveal.
You could view the first one as a dry-run / rehearsal.

I don't know if they will do that with Model 3 first deliveries.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
Could be both. Some past events had an employee / press event one day, then an "everyone else" repeat the next day.
The press isn't supposed to publish their photos / videos until after the public reveal.
You could view the first one as a dry-run / rehearsal.

I don't know if they will do that with Model 3 first deliveries.

Or it could be like the initial Model 3 reveal, which started at around 11:40pm on the East Coast.

• Disagree
Reactions: EXOTIC1
So much coordination between partners, suppliers and employees would have to happen long in advance of the production line start that we would have news leaking out about a month before that would give us an idea as we get closer. Being that there is nothing substantiated now (mid-June), it's probably safe to guess that late July is most likely be the plan for a reveal / first deliveries.