Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guest Charging etiquette

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been on the hosting end of this transaction many times.

You might want to offer to pay, but only a total cheapskate would take you up on it. If you really feel you should pay something​, it might be easier to buy them a coffee or bring them a bottle of wine.

If the owner of the plug is interested in chatting with a Tesla owner that should be pretty obvious and just go with the flow. If not, then find an activity for yourself - go for a walk, browse the web on the touchscreen, read a book, etc.

I have time of use electric at my home. I flat out state 30cents/kwh during peak hours. a dead 60kw battery, 60kw would be Just over $18, $25.50 on a 85kw pack. Thats not chump change to give away, and I do not think I am "being a cheapskate".
Now, off peak hours, 7pm-7am, and weekends & holidays, I give away as much as anyone wants :) Only $3 to charge a flat dead 60kw, $4.25 to charge a 85kw.

My monthly day time usage is about 100kw, or about $30/month total for my whole house, slightly higher during summer with the AC going. I draw 2-3 megawatts on off peak each month, which comes to $100-$150/month for off peak usage. That is my entire house including charging my car, which is at over 12,500 miles in 4 months 3 weeks 2 days. When the Milwaukee, Madison and Pleasant Prairie Super Chargers are installed, my off peak should drop to $50-100/month.

Now, at the Sandrift Resort, where my family has the only level 2 EV charging within 60 miles (and is a Major Tourist Destination City for the Mid West), Guests at the motel charge for free, and we have a nice flow of Tesla Owners staying. I'm their every weekend as well with my boys so get to meet some nice people from ALL over. Though, Non-Guests (people that are not staying at the motel) are $2/hour for charging on a NEMA 14-50, which I believe is extremely fair pricing.

I do not charge Model S owners for use of my residential HPWC which I have published on plugshare.com and I would decline to accept payment. I published my charger as a community service for other Model S owners coming to the Phoenix area. I get maybe one Model S owner expressing interest in using the charger every 2-3 months. I am on a solar time of use plan and energy costs me about 6¢ per kWh on average. That equates to $5 to charge a full 85 kWh battery pack, however visitors typically only need a 50-100 mile charge bump in order to reach their destination. I don't think I need to charge someone the $2 in electricity costs, that is definitely petty and "being a cheapskate".

I have time of use electric at my home. I flat out state 30cents/kwh during peak hours. a dead 60kw battery, 60kw would be Just over $18, $25.50 on a 85kw pack. Thats not chump change to give away, and I do not think I am "being a cheapskate".
Now, off peak hours, 7pm-7am, and weekends & holidays, I give away as much as anyone wants :) Only $3 to charge a flat dead 60kw, $4.25 to charge a 85kw.

My monthly day time usage is about 100kw, or about $30/month total for my whole house, slightly higher during summer with the AC going. I draw 2-3 megawatts on off peak each month, which comes to $100-$150/month for off peak usage. That is my entire house including charging my car, which is at over 12,500 miles in 4 months 3 weeks 2 days. When the Milwaukee, Madison and Pleasant Prairie Super Chargers are installed, my off peak should drop to $50-100/month.

Now, at the Sandrift Resort, where my family has the only level 2 EV charging within 60 miles (and is a Major Tourist Destination City for the Mid West), Guests at the motel charge for free, and we have a nice flow of Tesla Owners staying. I'm their every weekend as well with my boys so get to meet some nice people from ALL over. Though, Non-Guests (people that are not staying at the motel) are $2/hour for charging on a NEMA 14-50, which I believe is extremely fair pricing.
That's interesting to read...as i had mostly thought that for the rarity of people charging and the cost of electricity ($0.11/kW at my house) that it's not something I'd ever expect payment for. Still haven't had anyone use my charger. But you're right that at $25 for a charge, if you're in an area where you might see a couple of people per month, that that isn't exactly chump change.

I would think, in a case like yours, if you are willing to share your charger but don't want to give it away that you should, right up front on the PlugShare listing, make it clear what your charges are so nobody is offended or taken off guard if you ask for cash when they use your charger. I'd think that, so long as people really needed a charge and you were the best option on their route that they wouldn't mind paying so long as it was made clear up front.

That's interesting to read...as i had mostly thought that for the rarity of people charging and the cost of electricity ($0.11/kW at my house) that it's not something I'd ever expect payment for. Still haven't had anyone use my charger. But you're right that at $25 for a charge, if you're in an area where you might see a couple of people per month, that that isn't exactly chump change.

I would think, in a case like yours, if you are willing to share your charger but don't want to give it away that you should, right up front on the PlugShare listing, make it clear what your charges are so nobody is offended or taken off guard if you ask for cash when they use your charger. I'd think that, so long as people really needed a charge and you were the best option on their route that they wouldn't mind paying so long as it was made clear up front.

Thats exactly what I have done. In my PlugShare I have stated. I also stated from 7pm to 7am, Weekends and Holidays, use as much as you want for free ^_^

I get around 3/month. I also tell them all about the free Chargepoint at the AAA service center about a mile from me. It is slower at 30 amp 208v, but its also free during the day and right by a bunch of restaurants. Otherwise, their are NO public chargers that are higher then 30 amp in the Milwaukee County that I can find right now, everything seems to be 30 amp. So if they need a faster charge, my NEMA 14-50 at 240v is the fastest option other then a HPWC. I do not have dual chargers so I only have the 14-50.

Thanks for the feedback. It was along the lines I suspected. I had to charge at homes twice this weekend. both hosts were friendly and gracious. I live in a rural part of Southern NJ (yes, I said rural and NJ in the same sentence!). I offered to reciprocate if they were ever driving through the area. The Wharton state forest is very scenic when the leaves are changing. Both people I spoke with loved the Tesla and offered suggestions for when mine is delivered. I had a loaner for the weekend for an extended test drive. Now, the wait begins for mine to be built and delivered...

My guess is for most folks with a Model S it's more about convenience right now than money. I've only had a PlugShare contact once in 6 months and the timing didn't work out. I would never accept payment. If I were the person charging I would bring a decent bottle of wine, or other than you gift as a gesture of understanding that the person is doing you a very nice favor. I admit that 3 times a month might get a little old though.

My rates are about the national average (11.4/kwh) and I have yet to have anyone charge with my charger. I guess I'd be pretty surprised if there are many with a steady stream of people charging at their house. I'd say 3/month is a lot. To me the cost of the energy is minuscule compared to the value of "paying it forward". I suppose if there was a steady stream I would have a different attitude.

As to the original question, any gift is reasonable. I wouldn't accept money. Personally, I think a bottle of wine is great but even better is making a new friend. And sharing that bottle of wine with a new friend, priceless!

Just asked for the loaner over the weekend to make sure the Tesla works in my lifestyle, and fits in my garage. The wingspan is a little wide with the side view mirrors. Luckily my order was able to be upgraded to the new foldable side views to make garage access easier.