Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guide on how to set up one SDD for both dash cam recordings and personal media

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, since there was quite a lot of information scattered all around, I did a write up for how to format and configure an SDD to work with the Model 3 for both personal media and the dash cam recordings. For now this targets Windows computers for setting up. If anyone can do something similar for Macs, would be great.

http://www.thebrainspike.com/how-to...ssd-for-tesla-model-3-complete-windows-guide/

Hope this helps!

Generally good guide- a few comments though-

Your initial remarks about not needing a hub by using a single storage device doesn't really work because you still need SOME kind of splitter if you want to use even a single storage device plus both chargers... so you'll need a splitter or hub on at least 1 port either way. That being the case I personally find keeping music/camera on separate drives has some small advantages, but YMMV there.

Your advice should be generally applicable also to USB keys, SDcards, anything at all that shows to windows as a storage device- it's not really specific to SSDs.

The last part of step 4 isn't needed- you can tell them to click "Do not format this volume" for the camera partition and save a little time- since they'll be reformatting it later anyway with a 3rd party tool formatting it now in the wrong format type doesn't do anything useful.

The last part of step 4 isn't needed- you can tell them to click "Do not format this volume" for the camera partition and save a little time- since they'll be reformatting it later anyway with a 3rd party tool formatting it now in the wrong format type doesn't do anything useful.

It does name the drives so that it's a little easier to be sure you are formatting the right ones in the next step.

Reactions: Knightshade
Your initial remarks about not needing a hub by using a single storage device doesn't really work because you still need SOME kind of splitter if you want to use even a single storage device plus both chargers... so you'll need a splitter or hub on at least 1 port either way. That being the case I personally find keeping music/camera on separate drives has some small advantages, but YMMV there.

The guide focuses on the idea of using the same storage media for both dash cam and personal media files, not necessarily on minimizing USB connections altogether. I guess I should have made that a bit clearer in the post.

Your advice should be generally applicable also to USB keys, SDcards, anything at all that shows to windows as a storage device- it's not really specific to SSDs.

Good point, I will update. Thanks

I have to admit that I have not tried to create a new partition with this tool, but as @davewill mentioned, I think it makes it a bit more obvious when you're reformatting, to see what exactly you are working on by having a letter and a label.

I did mean this guide for the less technical people out there, and tried as much as possible to steer clear of too much scientific data like read/write speeds when choosing a drive, pros/cons USB stick vs SSD, brands, etc.

Reactions: Knightshade
That’s a very good guide but it’s meant for computer savvy people. I found it easy to follow because I know what diskpart is and I also understood what commands to type in there. But I would have a very hard time to explain that to my dad whose computer knowledge extends to playing solitaire and watching YouTube.
With great joy I see more and more non-technical people buying these wonderful cars.
I think the more simple guides there are, the better chance they will find one that helps them.

Hi all, since there was quite a lot of information scattered all around, I did a write up for how to format and configure an SDD to work with the Model 3 for both personal media and the dash cam recordings. For now this targets Windows computers for setting up. If anyone can do something similar for Macs, would be great.

http://www.thebrainspike.com/how-to...ssd-for-tesla-model-3-complete-windows-guide/

Hope this helps!
Hi, when I delete the volume on the Samsun Portable SSD it shows an unallocated drive size of 41mb which differs from your instructions. Any idea what is wrong?

Attachments

• Samsung SSD.PNG
    Samsung SSD.PNG
    10.6 KB · Views: 114
Try this:

1. Create a new volume there in that screen even if it's only 41Mb (you may have to select NTFS for this fix to work and then if it does, reformat it to exFat)
2. Launch diskpart.exe (Start button then type "DiskPart")
3. Type "LIST DISK" (identify in the results which one is your SSD. Double-check)
4. Type "SELECT DISK n" (replace n with the ID of your drive from previous step, usually a number)
5. Type EXTEND
6. Type EXIT

Check the size of the volume and let me know if that fixed it. We can try other things if this doesn't work

EDIT: Sorry if it's too much detail in here, I am not sure what's your familiarity with these processes.

Try this:

1. Create a new volume there in that screen even if it's only 41Mb (you may have to select NTFS for this fix to work and then if it does, reformat it to exFat)
2. Launch diskpart.exe (Start button then type "DiskPart")
3. Type "LIST DISK" (identify in the results which one is your SSD. Double-check)
4. Type "SELECT DISK n" (replace n with the ID of your drive from previous step, usually a number)
5. Type EXTEND
6. Type EXIT

Check the size of the volume and let me know if that fixed it. We can try other things if this doesn't work

EDIT: Sorry if it's too much detail in here, I am not sure what's your familiarity with these processes.
This is what I got. No volume selected
Diskextend.PNG

I know this is an old thread but seems the best place to ask before starting a new thread.

I bought a sandisk extreme ssd 500gb that I planned on using. I started the partition and had no issues with that. I was unable to download the format tool onto my old computer for some reason. I'm picking up a new one later today. But I also ordered a jeda hub and found out that the SSD I ordered is too big to fit inside. So I decided to order a Samsung T5.

I'd like to use the Sandisk Extreme ssd to store gopro footage. Am I able to undo the partition that I setup? I made it through step 5.

I know this is an old thread but seems the best place to ask before starting a new thread.

I bought a sandisk extreme ssd 500gb that I planned on using. I started the partition and had no issues with that. I was unable to download the format tool onto my old computer for some reason. I'm picking up a new one later today. But I also ordered a jeda hub and found out that the SSD I ordered is too big to fit inside. So I decided to order a Samsung T5.

I'd like to use the Sandisk Extreme ssd to store gopro footage. Am I able to undo the partition that I setup? I made it through step 5.

Yes, you can right click on the partition and hit delete. The space will revert back to unallocated.

Reactions: cOoTeR