TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Guide to Blacking Out Tesla Emblems

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by eclipsis, Aug 25, 2014.

1. eclipsis

eclipsis Member

#1 eclipsis, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
    One of the first things I wanted to do on our new MS is to black out as much chrome as possible. I was disappointed to find that there were no aftermarket matte black badges for the Model S, so I decided to make my own. Here's how I did it:

Step 1: Remove the badges. Here's a guide on how to do it.

Step 2: Remove adhesive backing from badges. Soaking the badges in a strong degreaser like Super Clean will soften the adhesive and you can pull it off easily:

6d58f3f3-0b95-4be1-8c24-6de443f987d5.jpg

Step 3: Remove chrome from badges. I sent my badges to Brent at Cal-Tron Plating in Los Angeles. He reverse electroplated them for $15 shipped. When the chrome is removed, all you're left with is plain ABS plastic:

IMG_2971.jpg

Step 4: Prep the badges for painting. Sand the badges with 800-100 grit sandpaper, wash them with soap and water, and then wipe them down with isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber towel. This leaves the surface ready for painting.

Step 5: There are 3 painting stages: primer, color coat, and clear coat. Each stage gets a minimum of two coats, or you can do three if you'd like. Follow the instructions on each can's label. I used PlastiKoat Primer, Krylon Fusion Matte Black, and Krylon Flat Top Coat:

IMG_2981.jpg

When you're painting, make sure you cover each angle of the badges, especially the smaller crevices on the letters. Paint over masking paper, and elevate the badges with a material that prevents the badges from sticking to the paper (I cut up adhesive-backed felt pads):

IMG_2980.jpg

Step 6: Cut 3M Attachment Tape to fit back side of each badge. Use a sharp scissor and a utility blade.

All finished:

967b5d6b-7727-4416-aeed-0a64b1631b5c.jpg

IMG_2983.jpg

2. eRandall38

eRandall38 Member

Do you have photos of them installed? I would enjoy seeing how they look on the car.

3. romp

romp Member

Curious: why the reverse electroplating step was necessary? Can't the primer be sprayed over the chrome? Thanks!

Also, second the request for the photos installed.

4. eclipsis

eclipsis Member

A chrome surface (or any finished surface for that matter) isn't ideal for the primer to stick to. Bare plastic that's scuffed up allows better adhesion of the primer.

I won't have installed pics for a while, my car gets here in late October. The badges I worked on came from eBay (long, convoluted story as to why I needed to buy them before I get the car).

5. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

Probably easier and cheaper to just to have someone 3D scan the old one and 3D print you out as many new ones as you want.

6. DA808EV

DA808EV Member

Looks good but it seems like a lot of work. Could have plastidipped it or wrapped them chrome.

7. eclipsis

eclipsis Member

Plastidip has a tendency to peel, and wrapping the small letters wouldn't look too good.