TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Guiding brackets for quick connection phone dock

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Alset72, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Alset72

Alset72 Member

I picked up my new Model X a month ago with the phone dock pre-installed. I just saw in the Tesla Shop that it's supposed to have guiding brackets. Mine did not come with these brackets, so getting the phone in is hit or miss.

Any ideas if this is a miss or does Tesla not provide guiding brackets on factory installs of the dock? I have an iPhone 7 for what it's worth.

2. outie

outie Active Member

Mine came with them. Have you checked the package they've probably left with the car? It has extra phone dock accessories.

3. violinist22

violinist22 Member

Could you post a picture of your guiding brackets? I think I'm missing mine as well. Thanks in advance!

4. zackmilo

zackmilo Chrome Delete Champion

check your glove box. thats where mine was

• Like x 1
  5. hly

hly Member

Yes the guiding brackets were also left in a bag in my glove box

6. Nerdy_Engineer

Nerdy_Engineer Brett - The Nerdy Engineer

The dock comes with a microSD cable, lightning cable, and 4 guiding brackets. They usually ask you which phone you have so that they can install the cable and the brackets for you. I don't have a picture of them on hand, but during the intro to my video, you can see them clearly as I dock my phone. The guiding brackets are those tall skinny rectangles touching each side of my phone.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  7. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

The phone guiding racks (Quick Connection Phone Dock) only come with PUP. If you didn't order a PUP vehicle, you would have to order them from the Tesla Store.

• Like x 1
  8. Pwdr Extreme

Pwdr Extreme Member

They installed the lightning connector for my phone, but nothing to guide it in to the connection. Is this something new? Docking my phone is always a major pain the butt. At night it's virtually impossible.

• Like x 2
  9. violinist22

violinist22 Member

Thanks everyone for the information about the guiding brackets. I have the PUP, but no other accessories were left in the car. They just installed the connector. I guess this is consistent with not leaving license plate frames with the car. It was pretty hectic at the SC as they were moving a bunch of cars out on the last day of quarter, but still ...

10. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Member

That kind of delivery by the SC is inexcusable.
    Drop by and demand they make it right while you wait (or make an appointment if you have any other issues for them to correct).

Edit: clarification

11. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

I'm sure they forgot to leave the parts in the car. Just pop by and mention it to them. I'm sure they'll take care of you.

12. violinist22

violinist22 Member

I plan to pickup the brackets (and license plate frames) when I have them install my plates.

13. Alset72

Alset72 Member

You can see the brackets in the pictures in the Tesla shop: Tesla — Quick Connection Phone Dock

14. Alset72

Alset72 Member

No package left with the car. I will ask my delivery advisor.

15. dragonxt

dragonxt Active Member

Same, took Delivery at the new Delivery center, and no PUP brackets or anything.

They just automatically installed a lightning connector for my phone, I didn't even get the spare parts.
    Someone from my local SC quietly stole an android cable from one of the loaners, but no brackets. Probably should ask for them when I take my car in to fix some other issues.

16. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Member

The SC should install the cable and brackets for your particular phone, just as they did for me when my Model X was delivered.

I understand that they are gearing up for a huge volume of Model 3 deliveries and need to streamline the process, but Tesla needs to understand that the Model S and Model X are their premium vehicles and deserve a premium delivery.

17. XHokie

XHokie Member

I have this exact same issue in my car. When I took delivery last year, I didn't realize this was something to keep in mind or ask them to do. They only installed the lightning cable for my iPhone, but not the guides. I just took my vehicle in for it's annual service, and when I asked about the guides, the service tech looked at me with a blank stare and didn't seem to know what I was talking about. I will try asking again the next time I'm at the Service Center...and also check my glove box to see if they left the guides in there.

18. spirrevipp

spirrevipp Member

Well slap my face and call me a bitch... They installed the lightning connector in mine too (and no guides). I vaguely recall the tech mentioning something about iPhone with a sleeve. Checked the little box that the kit came in, and sure enough sure, guides galore. Popped the correct ones in place and adjusted the position of the lightning connector and now the dock works gloriously!

• Like x 1
  19. Alset72

Alset72 Member

I got the guides now from service but the position of the lightning connector is off. How do you adjust the position of the lightning connector?

20. hly

hly Member

remove the rubber cover and there will be two screws to adjust positioning of the connector