Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gulf Coast to PCH road trip!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning an epic road trip from the gulf coast to KC to LA, up the PCH, then I-10 stretch back home. I have a whole itinerary, but I'm open to any must-see/experience things along the way, especially eateries! Any thoughts???

Is there a such thing as a native American restaurant? I'd love to try one.

Depending on where on the gulf coast you are, you may want to swing up into TN to begin with and take I-40 all the way out. There are tons of things along the way and the last half of it parallels (or becomes) Route 66.
Tennessee, you can start from the Smokies, through Music City and then stroll along Beale Street in Memphis.
From Memphis to Oklahoma City, you can detour down to Little Rock, but you really start to notice the terrain and vegetation changing. It start to get really dang flat after you pass through Arkansas.
In Oklahoma City, stop by the Oklahoma City National Memorial, especially at night, for the bombing of the Federal Building. Also stop at Cattlemans next to the stockyard for one of the best steaks you ever had.
As you roll into Amarillo, another big roadmark is the Big Texan restaurant and their 72oz free steak.
Albuquerque and the area have a number of attractions, You pass by some of the Pueblo areas.
You've got to stop in Winslow AZ and stand on the corner.
Trip up to Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam and Las Vegas for a little detour.
Barstow California is one of the last stops you'll find the first Del Taco and while you probably can't get on base, Ft Irwin is where a lot of Army desert training occurs.
Then over the mountains and down to LA.

Heading North out of LA, the Coastal route is downright gorgeous, but slow. A few places to stop would be Hearst Castle and then once nearer to San Fran, move back to it for Monterey Bay maybe Big Sur and Carmel. You can't miss stopping at the aquarium in Monterrey, generally considered one of the best in the country.

I've left out many places along the route, just mentioning a few.

Reactions: wws
Depending on where on the gulf coast you are, you may want to swing up into TN to begin with and take I-40 all the way out. There are tons of things along the way and the last half of it parallels (or becomes) Route 66.
Tennessee, you can start from the Smokies, through Music City and then stroll along Beale Street in Memphis.
From Memphis to Oklahoma City, you can detour down to Little Rock, but you really start to notice the terrain and vegetation changing. It start to get really dang flat after you pass through Arkansas.
In Oklahoma City, stop by the Oklahoma City National Memorial, especially at night, for the bombing of the Federal Building. Also stop at Cattlemans next to the stockyard for one of the best steaks you ever had.
As you roll into Amarillo, another big roadmark is the Big Texan restaurant and their 72oz free steak.
Albuquerque and the area have a number of attractions, You pass by some of the Pueblo areas.
You've got to stop in Winslow AZ and stand on the corner.
Trip up to Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam and Las Vegas for a little detour.
Barstow California is one of the last stops you'll find the first Del Taco and while you probably can't get on base, Ft Irwin is where a lot of Army desert training occurs.
Then over the mountains and down to LA.

Heading North out of LA, the Coastal route is downright gorgeous, but slow. A few places to stop would be Hearst Castle and then once nearer to San Fran, move back to it for Monterey Bay maybe Big Sur and Carmel. You can't miss stopping at the aquarium in Monterrey, generally considered one of the best in the country.

I've left out many places along the route, just mentioning a few.
Thanks for the tips. I would definitely do that, but I am picking up a passenger in KC, so I have to go that route. :) Putting Cattleman's on the list for future visits. Winslow, castle, grand canyon etc. are definitely on the list. Have you been to Gordon Ramsay's burger place in Vegas? Is it good?

Thanks for the tips. I would definitely do that, but I am picking up a passenger in KC, so I have to go that route. :) Putting Cattleman's on the list for future visits. Winslow, castle, grand canyon etc. are definitely on the list. Have you been to Gordon Ramsay's burger place in Vegas? Is it good?
So instead of Memphis and Little Rock, from Nashville you head up to St Louis (stop at Pappy's Smokehouse for ribs) and then to KC and back down to OKC. We did the Nashville to St Louis trip a few months ago.

I haven't eaten really anywhere in Vegas. I suspect that a lot of that food you can get in nearly any big city. It's the places along the way that are often a once in a lifetime experience.

There is a Native American restaurant in Minneapolis. All foods prior to colonization. Maple syrup vs regular sugar. Etc. Chef is Native. Nominated for James Beard award. I’ll try to find the name but maybe you can Google for it.

To avoid the St. Louis mess, unless you want to see St. Lous, from Tenn. take northern route from Hannibal (huck Finn etc.) Mo to St. Joseph Mo. Rolling hills, farms, not as much traffic. Fully charge In Hannibal and then in St, Joe. Drop down to KC from St. Joe. And onward. My route last Oct.

After you pick up your passenger, head south to Joplin. Then follow Historic Route 66 as much as possible all the way to California.

I-44 from Joplin to OKC, then I-40 to Barstow CA, then I-15 to Los Angeles more or less parallels - or is even on top of, Historic Route 66. So Superchargers are never a problem, and lots of small towns and tourist stops to explore. There are a bunch of guides, but a fundamental one is Jerry McClanahan's EZ66.

If you get a chance, hit the Tail of the Dragon. It will not disappoint. 318 curves in just 11 miles. It's between NC and TN.
It's not a race track but it sure is fun to take your time through all those curves. I've had the privilege to run many cars and bikes through here.

1680544128230.png

Anything on the Skyline Drive is also epic.

1680544254555.png

After you pick up your passenger, head south to Joplin. Then follow Historic Route 66 as much as possible all the way to California.

I-44 from Joplin to OKC, then I-40 to Barstow CA, then I-15 to Los Angeles more or less parallels - or is even on top of, Historic Route 66. So Superchargers are never a problem, and lots of small towns and tourist stops to explore. There are a bunch of guides, but a fundamental one is Jerry McClanahan's EZ66.
No can do. Heading to Denver, then 4 corners, but will take Route 66 from Arizona to California. :)

If you get a chance, hit the Tail of the Dragon. It will not disappoint. 318 curves in just 11 miles. It's between NC and TN.
It's not a race track but it sure is fun to take your time through all those curves. I've had the privilege to run many cars and bikes through here.

View attachment 924516

Anything on the Skyline Drive is also epic.

View attachment 924517
The tail is very high on my list! I headed that way back in November, but I got sick along the way and had to abort. ...but next time I head Eat, I'm on it!

The tail is very high on my list! I headed that way back in November, but I got sick along the way and had to abort. ...but next time I head Eat, I'm on it!

If you come through ATL to get there, you'll probably pass near me. I'm right off of US129 which is the tail, but down in Georgia.

If Babyland General Hospital is in Cleveland GA just above me, a magnet for many folks who love Cabbage Patch dolls. And then there's Helen, a german moutnain town where you can stay before heading into the mountains and the tail.

If you come through ATL to get there, you'll probably pass near me. I'm right off of US129 which is the tail, but down in Georgia.

If Babyland General Hospital is in Cleveland GA just above me, a magnet for many folks who love Cabbage Patch dolls. And then there's Helen, a german moutnain town where you can stay before heading into the mountains and the tail.
Sounds like your area is the place to make base camp. Ever host any meets up there?

Sounds like your area is the place to make base camp. Ever host any meets up there?
Definitely don't mind meeting for lunch or something.

My Dad is in Knoxville TN and I've been at a few locations NE of Atlanta over the years. There are basically 3 routes to get to Knoxville.
The most boring is to travel back down to the Atlanta perimeter and take I-75 to Chattanooga and then Knoxville. About 4 hours and 240 miles.
The prettiest route is up to Cherokee NC and cross over the Smokies, absolutely breath taking. About 220 miles and 4.5 hours.
And the last is to go straight (for those who know the tail, you know this is an oxymoron) north up US 129. I'm about 5 miles west of it and dad is 5 miles west of it. It's by far the shortest at 180 miles. But amazingly the longest at 5.5 hours.(longer on spring and summer weekends). But it is absolutely the most fun of all the routes.

It is truly a choice of fast, scenic, or fun.

• Love
Reactions: Prairie
Definitely don't mind meeting for lunch or something.

My Dad is in Knoxville TN and I've been at a few locations NE of Atlanta over the years. There are basically 3 routes to get to Knoxville.
The most boring is to travel back down to the Atlanta perimeter and take I-75 to Chattanooga and then Knoxville. About 4 hours and 240 miles.
The prettiest route is up to Cherokee NC and cross over the Smokies, absolutely breath taking. About 220 miles and 4.5 hours.
And the last is to go straight (for those who know the tail, you know this is an oxymoron) north up US 129. I'm about 5 miles west of it and dad is 5 miles west of it. It's by far the shortest at 180 miles. But amazingly the longest at 5.5 hours.(longer on spring and summer weekends). But it is absolutely the most fun of all the routes.

It is truly a choice of fast, scenic, or fun.
Definitely down to grab lunch sometime. I'm in Montgomery. I see lots of Teslas but the scene is pretty much dead. No one I approached has been interested. I think the Atlanta Renaissance Faire opens next weekend. I've been wanting to go anyway. :) Any weekend that's not at the end of April, and I'm free to meet up. Cheers.

Thank you for book tip!

Reactions: wws
I've driven CA State Route 1 4 four times in my life. While the south end of the highway starts in Dana Point, I have begun my trip from either San Diego or Long Beach. I took my time, spending time along the way in San Simeon, Big Sur, Half Moon Bay, etc.

If you have the time, and want to relax and chill, I highly recommend staying at the Big Sur Lodge but it is a bit pricey and requires at least a two night stay. It is a place to relax and not be in a hurry. But the Lodge is often booked months in advance.

Another must see is the Hurst Castle. I recommend you purchase admission in advance, and plan to take two or three of the tours of the Castle.

Each of my four trips ended in San Francisco, before SF's current problems, and we stayed at the Mark Hopkins Hotel there on Nob Hill. Also pricy but I stayed there because my parents were married in SF and stayed at this pre-WW2 hotel as part of there honeymoon and among other things enjoyed a couple of drinks at the "Top of the Mark" bar. Spent a few days there doing tourist things in SF and did a day trip to the Muir Woods National Monument, about 12 miles north of SF.

My last trip was in 2006 so I have no idea what the Supercharger situation is along Highway 1, but a quick look at the Supercharger map there seem to be opportunities to charge.