Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

gunpowder sensor enables authorities to track car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
would it be feasable to have a feature that senses when a gunshot is placed from inside the car that it alerts the authorities? imagime when autonomous level4 comes in and a car of thugs or gangsters take a car and do drive by or if someone gets wounded. At first i thought that it should disable self driving but that would be bad if anyone was hurt or trying to get away.

• Disagree
Reactions: S'toon
I'm guessing that by the time Level 4-5 autonomous cars are out they will probably be loaded with cameras (internal and external) with live cloud feed/storage. This would obviate any need for gunpowder detection since it will all likely be recorded. These will be "rentals" without a live person inside.

If I owned one (or a fleet), I would insist on recording what is going on inside the car and make sure all riders know that they are being recorded. Many taxis are doing this nowadays.

As for using it as a get-away car, I doubt the autonomous auto (how about auto-auto, or auto^2) is going to be screeching out from the hit scene like a bat out of hell. More like a leisurely stroll from the crime scene. Probably not a good choice for would be criminals. Although I guess the leisurely stroll worked for these guys:;)

• Funny
Reactions: Ulmo
Is this really a concern where you live?
violent crime will increase in regards to automation of autolabour, surely you aren't thinking of just your neighbourhood. Gun crime isn't even am issue in my area, i would just like to impose a safety feature that would be a very important step to curtail people into dreaming up or hacking the car into a crime vehicle. Assuming it has full autonomous movements i could simulate an assassination attempt or drive by one could account for pathways of my choosing and ruin someones life. Ofcourse its not for you it's for people that may have been shot or have shot someone, car should be tagged and location sent with logs of that drive path from its resting location.

If this were somehow actually useful, you wouldn't need an extra sensor. The existing microphone could record the sounds of gunshots and the gun cycling (fancy code could probably identify where in the car the gun was based on the window geometry and timing of echoes.)

However, as with a lot of the other answers, I'm having a hard time envisioning circumstances where such code is likely to be relevant. A very expensive self driving car seems like a poor choice for doing a drive by, even if the folks involved have access to such a car.

Is this really a concern where you live?
violent crime will increase in regards to automation of autolabour, surely you aren't thinking of just your neighbourhood.
No, surely I wasn't thinking of just my neighborhood.

I asked if it were a problem where you live, because I was trying to figure out why you'd be worrying about this specifically. I have no idea why you believe violent crime will increase 'in regards to automation of autolabour'. Is there any historical evidence that automation has resulted in increased crime?

Aren't Guns banned in your country in the first place? why would you need this?

would it be feasable to have a feature that senses when a gunshot is placed from inside the car that it alerts the authorities? imagime when autonomous level4 comes in and a car of thugs or gangsters take a car and do drive by or if someone gets wounded. At first i thought that it should disable self driving but that would be bad if anyone was hurt or trying to get away.