Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guns, Gun Control Quarantine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
how often are you guys "needing" your guns, i dont have a gun(very hard to get in NJ) and im not against it but i've also never been in a situation where i was like "i wish i had my gun in my car"

At the risk of derailing this thread with a philosophical discussion, how often have you needed your seatbelt or your smoke detectors, a fire extinguisher, or your life insurance policy? I'm in my 50's and I've never needed any of those things, but I have them all and think they're all important.

We view such rarely needed things as necessary not because they're needed often but because of the severe downside of not having them if they are needed.

Had a tough time looking for places where to mount mine, but finally decided to have a custom bumper house my ammo.

AM_guns.jpg

:D Sorry, nothing to contribute, but I couldn't resist.

didnt mean to sound like some leftist gun hating yankee. i'm all for it and protecting oneself, i've looked into myself but living in NJ is a huge hurdle so i assume everyone i encounter does NOT have a gun in NJ. probably a naive outlook but oh well

Reactions: kappadon3
Moderator note (bmah): Yes indeed, it was a topic for another thread. The first 41 posts of this thread came from the "Middle of a Police Chase" thread on the Model S forum.

Probably, a discussion for another thread, but with a CHL and now open carry, having a gun on your person is legal. The Texas legislature is Republican controlled and influenced by the gun industry with a large percentage of the population support. Maybe in the near future, the tide will turn and stricter laws passed, one can only hope. Maybe some day Congress and the Senate will come together and pass stricter laws as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably, a discussion for another thread, but with a CHL and now open carry, having a gun on your person is legal. The Texas legislature is Republican controlled and influenced by the gun industry with a large percentage of the population support. Maybe in the near future, the tide will turn and stricter laws passed, one can only hope. Maybe some day Congress and the Senate will come together and pass stricter laws as well.
If it's in your cup holder it's not on your person

Reactions: ReddykwRun
Including myself, who is in law enforcement.
Every state has differing laws. In Florida, it must be "enclosed" Center console, closed, Glove Compartment, closed, Gun safe, closed, Shoe box, closed.

For me at least its about thinking real hard,"do I need this force". Those few seconds,"is this the force I need to inflict". The answer is mostly NO. Thats why you need those few seconds.

This incident by OP, absolutely no reason at all to even mention firearms. The police have it well in hand.

Ok, lost the Tesla video, but the Blackvue records to the cloud, so able to show forward and rear view of the chase. Posted on YouTube . I didn't realize to now that my rear camera was up side down. Also, decided from now on to carry my gun in the cup holder instead of in the glove box.
As far as your personal weapon how about you carry it on your person and not in a "glove box" or "cup holder" neither are designed for that and are poor choices for a personal weapon when you need it. Remember accidents happen and you may be separated from your car in a flash.

Reactions: tranzndance
Yea, tell me how that all worked out down in Mexico, with the average Roberto unable to carry. Must be the liberal utopian "rainbows and unicorns" society, probably don't have to lock your doors anymore either, what a relief.

Please dont make that mistake (carrying gun in cup holder). For obvious reasons I think that is a bad idea for anyone. Including myself, who is in law enforcement.
Agreed, it could bounce around the car and hurt someone - get a Phantom quick draw mount or a magnet mount to keep it from sliding around or wear it in a Kenai or Kydex chest holster that you can wear under your jacket, easy to access when in a car.

Last edited:
Reactions: ReddykwRun
Agreed, it could bounce around the car and hurt someone - get a holster or magnet mount to keep it from sliding around or wear it in a Kenai or Kydex chest holster that you can wear under your jacket, easy to access when in a car.

I guess this is how it's like to live in Texas with people needing to have easy access to a weapon to kill someone just in case the a situation or opportunity comes up :p :rolleyes: o_O

Every state has differing laws. In Florida, it must be "enclosed" Center console, closed, Glove Compartment, closed, Gun safe, closed, Shoe box, closed.

For me at least its about thinking real hard,"do I need this force". Those few seconds,"is this the force I need to inflict". The answer is mostly NO. Thats why you need those few seconds.

This incident by OP, absolutely no reason at all to even mention firearms. The police have it well in hand.
In regards to "The police have it well in hand" that could have gone another way in an instant with the SUV having a TA and abandoning his ride and coming over and snatching the Tesla driver out, oh and to kick it up a notch maybe he has a kid in a baby carrier in the back seat. What are you going to do then? Yep, things change in a flash, keep your head on a swivel and pay attention to your situational awareness. Life is not a spectator sport, regardless of how you perceive things you are involved. Remember, the police are there mainly as someone to do the paperwork afterwards. Been there. That's why I have pepper and lead on my person at all times outside the house.

I guess this is how it's like to live in Texas with people needing to have easy access to a weapon to kill someone just in case the a situation or opportunity comes up :p :rolleyes: o_O

You and I live in the "occupied zone", they don't have 110 law enforcement agencies funded by federal tax dollars in Alabama or in Dallas TX.

Washington District Of Columbia with ~62 Square Miles of Land
Population: 601,723
# of LE: 4,477
74 per 10K people

Mobile Alabama with ~159 Square Miles of Land
Population 255,178,
# of LE 766
30 LE per 10K people

Dallas TX with ~ 385 Square Miles of Land

Population: 1.3M
# of LE: 4241
32.5 per 10K people

Source: Law Enforcement Officers Per Capita for Cities, Local Departments

Defend yourself, the court systems in our area are now compromised in favor of the criminals.

Last edited:
Agreed, it could bounce around the car and hurt someone - get a Phantom quick draw mount or a magnet mount to keep it from sliding around or wear it in a Kenai or Kydex chest holster that you can wear under your jacket, easy to access when in a car.

I like the magnet, it's better than a modified pancake mounted to the bottom side of my desk at my home office for a SIG P230 SL. Thanks. Just ordered a set.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
You and I live in the "occupied zone", they don't have 110 law enforcement agencies funded by federal tax dollars in Alabama.

Washington District Of Columbia
Population: 601,723
# of LE: 4,477
74 per 10K people

Mobile Alabama
Population 255,178,
# of LE 766
30 LE per 10K people

Source: Law Enforcement Officers Per Capita for Cities, Local Departments

Defend yourself, the court systems in our area are now compromised in favor of the criminals.
Interesting you happen to mention Mobile, I live nearby in another county and avoid that area as much as possible. Flew out of the Coast Guard base for 7 years and we were not allowed to travel in uniform off base, less we become targets of "economically disadvantaged youth".

Status
Not open for further replies.