Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gurgling bubbling sounds from my 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since it has gotten a bit cooler , I noticed that when I am parked I hear gurgling sounds coming from the dash area. sounds like bubbles coming to the surface in a pond or stream. I suspect that it is the heater circulating coolant but it sure is strange.

Reactions: rickyjb
Refrigerant most likely. AC compressor pressurizes the gas into a liquid which evaporates back into a gas in the evaporator. When doing short runs (common in "nice" weather) it may not run long enough to get everything fully running and you may hear some gurgling sounds.

Turn the temperature down to a very low temp and see if the gurgling goes away after two-three minutes. If so, it should be ok.

Reactions: RaymondNoodles
Refrigerant most likely. AC compressor pressurizes the gas into a liquid which evaporates back into a gas in the evaporator. When doing short runs (common in "nice" weather) it may not run long enough to get everything fully running and you may hear some gurgling sounds.

Turn the temperature down to a very low temp and see if the gurgling goes away after two-three minutes. If so, it should be ok.

If its the one I hear, it sounds like coolant not refrigerant. Previously I had a a Durango that would blow out heater cores on a regular basis, every time it happened I would hear very similar sounds.

There is no coolant in the dash, only AC refrigerant which doesn't make that noise. The heater is a PTC air heater.

The coolant reservoir is just on the other side of the firewall though, and gurgling could mean there are bubbles in the coolant. Tesla has a vacuum device to bleed the system and remove all bubbles. If you are hearing gurgling, next time your car is in for service, have them vacuum bleed it.

• Informative
Reactions: apacheguy
It's actually a zen like experience.
Relax your mind as you listen to the calming sound of the gurgling forest stream, brought to you by the good folks at Tesla Motors.
I'm sure it's not harming anything. It's just a different noise and I wondered if I really heard it or if I was obtaining the skill of the zen master.