Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guy Almost Crashes Tesla in roundabout using Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He was fine. He clearly had collision alert set to low.

I just tried running my girl around what we call the "Fishhook" (cuz it's shaped just like one and tight) here, that joins two freeways to see how she would do. I was totally on it the whole time. Much to my surprise (for those of you who know it), I got all the way around, excellent speed and turning radius, until the absolute apex, where it gets super tight (20MPH). Then I took over because it was clear that my girl still has some learnin' ta do!

I test mine, very safely, all the time so that I can understand the limits of the abilities. When I lived in the Northeast, we would go out with every first good snow and reacclimate ourselves to driving on snow and ice by finding places where we could force the car to break loose. It's so easy to lose those skills when you rarely use them. Living in Sunny CA now, I would never drive in the snow without getting back on my game. I actually do it every year when (and if!) it rains out here. Practice makes perfect.

if you want warped comedy, watch an LA traffic report during the first rain of the season. It's REDICULOUS!

Seems fine. Similarly, I had a stretch that had a very sharp 90 degree turn on a 60 mph road. Like this video, I suspected AP wouldn't handle it, but I wanted to see what would happen. I took over before it launched me into a field. A few months later, I tried the same test and was amazed that it slowed down this time (I didn't know AP did that) before taking the turn. Being me, I still took over just in case, but I was impressed nevertheless.
Until somebody tells me I can sleep one off in the back seat, nothing absolves me of the resposibilty of absolute full controlof my vehicle when I am driving.

Seems fine. Similarly, I had a stretch that had a very sharp 90 degree turn on a 60 mph road. Like this video, I suspected AP wouldn't handle it, but I wanted to see what would happen. I took over before it launched me into a field. A few months later, I tried the same test and was amazed that it slowed down this time (I didn't know AP did that) before taking the turn. Being me, I still took over just in case, but I was impressed nevertheless.
Until somebody tells me I can sleep one off in the back seat, nothing absolves me of the resposibilty of absolute full controlof my vehicle when I am driving.

PLUS ONE TO THAT! Though I have been tempted...

Reactions: Krebnarb